Carlsbad, California 92010, United States
First Name
KV
Last Name
Venable
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV6ADV
I’m an expert backpacker, but am brand new to Overlanding. I’ve hiked quite a bit of Anza Borrego on foot including all the PCT that runs through it.

Can anyone recommend a good dispersed camping spot for this Sunday night? I want to do a shake down of all my Overland gear in my Subaru Outback.

Thanks

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hard to go wrong down there. Pick a road and go down it. There's a spot we used to love to use just north of I-8 that overlooked the wind farms outside of Ocotillo. Would be easily accessible by an Outback.

This link should be good. There's a cluster of rocks you can drive around and setup camp on the east side of them. There's a few roads in this area worth exploring for good camping areas especially during the fall and winter when the mountain trails are closed off. Ignore the photo that pops up with the link switch to satellite view to get an idea of what it looks like.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thanks all. Anza Borrego is on our list this winter. Looks pretty great.
I would spend winters out there, Ocotillo Wells, Joshua Tree ect, then during the spring and summer move back into the mountains.

Reactions: Kozysnack