lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
Hi, I just finally joined the Jeep Club this summer and have loved finding off road locations all over New England.
I'm trying to get the most out of my jeep while keeping it as stock as possible for now as it is my daily and I drive 40K a year.
I have a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited running 31s which I plan to upgrade to 33s once they need to be replaced.

Attachments

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Looks great! My father tried to convince me to get a rubicon and I informed him unless he had the extra money that my wallet was not prepared for that yet.
I totally understand, there is some extra expense, but if you plan to wheel it right out of the box (like I did), it the only option in my opinion.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

I have a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition that is mostly stock on the exterior. The Jeep will be paid off in two years and then I'll have the justification to add a lift and wheels/tires. My wife will veto any big spend like this right now. Until then, I'm happy with the capabilities of my Jeep for most overlanding purposes.

I have, however, added a number of items that make the vehicle more suitable to my current needs: an sPod SE source & 8 switch panel system which is pricey but has allowed me to control 1) a Quadratec J5 lightbar for west Texas off-road driving, 2) two underhood led lights (KC HiLites Cyclone) to problem-solve engine problems at night, 3) a SmittyBilt x2o winch with relays to get me or others out of jams, 4) an ICOM 5100 ham radio, 5) a Cobra C75 WC CB radio, and 6) other assorted electrical devices (e.g., roof rack LED lights). I've also added a roof rack for my two 100w Renogy solar panels that run my SnoMaster 56L fridge/freezer via two Odyssey AGM batteries. Also added a front bumper hoop that matches my steel hard rock edition bumper. Also, replaced the tail lights with Quadratec LED tail lights. And, then, a bunch of small stuff like fire extinguishers, HiLift jack, molle seat organizers. Replaced the original starting battery that recently died with a Yellow-top Optima AGM.

Then, the very nice Vector Off-road JKE-Dock bar to mount numerous 69-Designs mounts for the HAM radio, sat phone, cell phone, iPad, SnoMaster remote monitor, etc.

All this stuff adds up but I would spend the money again.

All that remains (when I pay off the Jeep) is the MetalCloak 3.5" 6-pack edition lift kit, 5.13 gears in the Dana 44s, replacement Adams drive shafts to correct for geometry, sleeve & gussets, trackbar/stabilizer, 4.5" backspace wheels and 37" tires. We added these parts to my son's 2012 JK and they are AWESOME! He is much more capable off-road than I am. I just cannot justify the $$$ (meaning I don't have the money right now) for these items.

I am 60 years old, so I plan on this being the final vehicle in my life. I couldn't have landed on a better platform. Now, I just need to stay healthy to enjoy it all for another 20 years.:grinning:

[EDIT: I'll need tires before I can afford the lift, so I plan to replace my stock BFG KM2 255/75R17 with BFG KM3 285/75R17 (which should not cause too many problems with my stock suspension and fenders)].

My favorite Big Bend National Park photo when my vehicle was only 2 months old (forgot to say that I subsequently added AirLift 1000 airbags to the rear coils to handle the extra weight of my overlanding loadout . . . you can see quite a bit of sag in the photo and my vehicle is even heavier now). Boy, do I love this Jeep. Each owner can tailor the platform to their own needs. I don't think I've seen two non-stock Jeeps that look or function the same.

Congrats on starting your Jeep journey! JEEP: "Just Empty Every Pocket"

Last edited:

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I have a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition that is mostly stock on the exterior. The Jeep will be paid off in two years and then I'll have the justification to add a lift and wheels/tires. My wife will veto any big spend like this right now. Until then, I'm happy with the capabilities of my Jeep for most overlanding purposes.

I have, however, added a number of items that make the vehicle more suitable to my current needs: an sPod SE source & 8 switch panel system which is pricey but has allowed me to control 1) a Quadratec J5 lightbar for west Texas off-road driving, 2) two underhood led lights (KC HiLites Cyclone) to problem-solve engine problems at night, 3) a SmittyBilt x2o winch with relays to get me or others out of jams, 4) an ICOM 5100 ham radio, 5) a Cobra C75 WC CB radio, and 6) other assorted electrical devices (e.g., roof rack LED lights). I've also added a roof rack for my two 100w Renogy solar panels that run my SnoMaster 56L fridge/freezer via two Odyssey AGM batteries. Also added a front bumper hoop that matches my steel hard rock edition bumper. Also, replaced the tail lights with Quadratec LED tail lights. And, then, a bunch of small stuff like fire extinguishers, HiLift jack, molle seat organizers. Replaced the original starting battery that recently died with a Yellow-top Optima AGM.

Then, the very nice Vector Off-road JKE-Dock bar to mount numerous 69-Designs mounts for the HAM radio, sat phone, cell phone, iPad, SnoMaster remote monitor, etc.

All that remains (when I pay off the Jeep) is the MetalCloak 3.5" 6-pack edition lift kit, 5.13 gears in the Dana 44s, replacement Adams drive shafts to correct for geometry, sleeve & gussets, trackbar/stabilizer, 4.5" backspace wheels and 37" tires. We added these parts to my son's 2012 JK and they are AWESOME! He is much more capable off-road than I am. I just cannot justify the $$$ (meaning I don't have the money right now) for these items.

I am 60 years old, so I plan on this being the final vehicle in my life. I couldn't have landed on a better platform. Now, I just need to stay healthy to enjoy it all for another 20 years.:grinning:

[EDIT: I'll need tires before I can afford the lift, so I plan to replace my stock BFG KM2 255/75R17 with BFG KM3 285/75R17 (which should not cause too many problems with my stock suspension and fenders)].

My favorite Big Bend National Park photo when my vehicle was only 4 months old (forgot to say that I subsequently added AirLift 1000 airbags to the rear coils to handle the extra weight of my overlanding loadout . . . you can see quite a bit of sag in the photo and my vehicle is even heavier now). Boy, do I love this Jeep. Each owner can tailor the platform to their own needs. I don't think I've seen two non-stock Jeeps that look or function the same.

You are my Hero!! 60 years old and still getting it done!

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

When I was younger, I thought 60 was OLD. I even thought 50 was old. Let me tell you, when you get there, if you are healthy, 60 will feel like the old 40. I trust this will continue to be the same as I grow older.
I totally agree, I just see so many Men at 60 who didn’t plan ahead in life for retirement and are just content sitting at the house.
My wife and I are in our early 40’s and are getting things paid off and setting ourselves up for a adventurous retirement.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Looks great! My father tried to convince me to get a rubicon and I informed him unless he had the extra money that my wallet was not prepared for that yet.
As long as you stay away from 37" and hard wheeling stuff, and take the terrain with brain you will be perfectly fine without a Rubicon.
I have a wrangler jku sport, now with 2,5" lift and 33" tires and that's perfectly fine for my needs.
Congrats on the new jeep, by the way!

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
I used to get so offended when I heard this phrase then I bought my jeep, new headlights, fire extinguisher, air compressor, and all the other basic off roading supplies and still wanted to purchase so much more I understood the phrase. I've noticed most jeeps are all a little different. I've wondered about my Jeep because it has multiple upgraded features and a John Bull Trail decal on the hood and I've seen two identical jeeps with my same set up completely and have researched if it was a package from Jeep or from a dealership around here and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Honestly, I have the Rubicon and I hate the 4:1 RockBox transfer case. I'd say the Sport is a far better 4x4 unless you actually need to climb a waterfall. The only plus to the Rubi are lockers.... and you can add those to any Wrangler for far less than the Rubicon costs.

Maine?? Are there any rocks to crawl thru?

40K miles a year... I'd never do 33s. On my TJR I had 33s and my best mileage was 17mpg. I just bought some old school 7.50R16s. Now I get 22mpg easy. I'll never go back to 33s. I drive 25K miles a year plus haul a work trailer. I'm also older and have quit doing the silly things which cause break downs on the trail. For a high miler like yours I'd stick with 32s or smaller.

The JKU is definitely bigger and heavier than my TJR so you might want more tire than I have, but if most of your driving is on "roads" keep the tires as skinny and light as possible. The worst thing thru snow, slush, standing water is a floatation tire.

What rear end ratio do you have?

Heres mine with the trailer. I'm aiming for the retro Jeep look.
DSCN1490.jpeg

Last edited:

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
Honestly, I have the Rubicon and I hate the 4:1 RockBox transfer case. I'd say the Sport is a far better 4x4 unless you actually need to climb a waterfall. The only plus to the Rubi are lockers.... and you can add those to any Wrangler for far less than the Rubicon option.

Maine?? Are there any rocks to crawl thru?
You can find some pretty good trails if you go looking. Just most are word of mouth or stumbling upon them as I did on some in VT. We do have some massive rocks but generally its just gardens. The rock crawling I've done is pretty simple and straight forward as I'm not looking for any big repair costs right now and will turn back if imminent damage beyond cosmetic is guaranteed. Every now and then I do find myself in a stressful situation but I always make it out and home safely. Rock sliders are currently my best friend. I've found a pretty large community for muddy around here but that's more for the 50" tired rigs, not a daily.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

John Bull Trail decal

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA
Hey we’re Justin & Jessica or just JJ, we live in Ogden Utah. We decided last year to move out west from Florida, so here where are! We bought a 2016 Jeep Rubicon (Ovie), our very first Jeep! Our Jeep has turned out great, it was so much fun building our Rig.
We went with telecom racks, so we could install our norcold marine fridge, and storage system. On the backside of the storage system are shelves where all the electronics are wired in. We even have a secondary battery under the passenger seat. We have a 3.5 Pro Comp lift, 35 inch Pro Comp tires, and Pro Comp rock lights. On top we have a Gobi Rack, and Smittybilt Rooftop Tent.
Inside we have a Vector Bar with 2 Ram Phone mounts and 1 iPad mini mount, plus 4 USB port. Some other upgrades we have done are ICOM 4001 Transceiver, ARB Twin Air-compressor, SPOD, Smittybilt X2O winch, Smittybilt Atlas Bummer.

Attachments

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA

My favorite Big Bend National Park photo when my vehicle was only 4 months old (forgot to say that I subsequently added AirLift 1000 airbags to the rear coils to handle the extra weight of my overlanding loadout . . . you can see quite a bit of sag in the photo and my vehicle is even heavier now). Boy, do I love this Jeep. Each owner can tailor the platform to their own needs. I don't think I've seen two non-stock Jeeps that look or function the same.

Nice setup We love our 2016 Rubicon, we always wanted to go to Big Bend National Park. How are the trails there? Do they get washed out a lot from floods?

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

As long as you stay away from 37" and hard wheeling stuff, and take the terrain with brain you will be perfectly fine without a Rubicon.
I have a wrangler jku sport, now with 2,5" lift and 33" tires and that's perfectly fine for my needs.
Congrats on the new jeep, by the way!
I totally agree.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Stock Jeep Wranglers can do more than most of us expect. Here is my first time tackling a drop-off on a newbie run at Hidden Falls outside of Marble Falls, TX. Sure looked steeper and scarier in person . . . of course, it would look steeper in the video if the horizon was actually level. It pays to have someone available to push you off the rock. JKUR was in 4-low, sway bar disconnected but no lockers deployed. Lockers wouldn't have mattered as I was high-centered.

Same event, different angle.

Last edited: