Rank I

Contributor III

Raleigh, NC
First Name
Beau
Last Name
Worsham
Member #

Since the question was concerning 'Mods' and not necessities to bring....

1) axle breathers
2) winch
3) lift or body protection (long wheelbase = lift, short wheelbase = body protection)

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve1anderson155

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Since the question was concerning 'Mods' to the vehicle and not necessities to bring....

1) axle breathers
2) winch
3) lift or body protection (long wheelbase = lift, short wheelbase = body protection)
The original post doesn't mention vehicle mods, did I miss something?

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Ideas, fantasy, and a bit of time. Try to figure out what do you need. The less the better.

Start
My first change has been the tires. A good pair of AT tires are a very good way to start of. Not even do they look awesome but they will also perform way better than on-road tires.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the thread says first three mods, so i'm guessing that means mods to a stock vehicle and not gear....

as mentioned already, TIRES. even when i wasnt going offroad much, i would buy a new vehicle and immediately put better tires on it. my current vehicle is a tundra and i wanted a bit more clearance, so i went with a taller tire (needed a level kit installed for tires not to rub) and a better tread.
its like hiking, running, etc....you need the right shoes

next for me was power. i added a second battery and chose to go with a solar panel on top of the camper shell to charge it. either that or install a second battery that hooks into the alternator. the extra power is great for lights at night, using a 12v pump for water and being able to charge phones and batteries for flashlights and stuff. we sometimes sleep in the camper shell, so that extra battery to run a 12v fan is really nice and the ability to run a 12v fridge.

third would be storage. pretty much any stock vehicle will need modified storage. some add pouches to the backs of the seats or boxes with drawers that can be taken out when not camping, etc. people with pick ups will have a decked system or rack mount in the bed, etc. basically use whatever is a good way to store and secure gear for your specific vehicle.

i have a stock tundra and went with a taller tire, camper shell with deck system and 2nd battery with 50w solar on top of shell. these few mods have been working great for a couple years and has been more than enough to handle everything we have been doing

now...if youre married and/or have kids, then the mods are pretty much anything that keeps them from fussing and will change with every outing....good luck

Last edited:

Mavirick

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cape Town, South Africa
First Name
Donovan
Last Name
Walker

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
now...if youre married and/or have kids, then the mods are pretty much anything that keeps them from fussing and will change with every outing....good luck
From experience - Headrest mounted DVD players for all rear seat passengers and every Shrek movie available.
Pro Tip: headphones required for kids unless you want to memorize the entire script of every movie (including in other languages)

Reactions: grubworm

Mavirick

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cape Town, South Africa
First Name
Donovan
Last Name
Walker
From experience - Headrest mounted DVD players for all rear seat passengers and every Shrek movie available.
Pro Tip: headphones required for kids unless you want to memorize the entire script of every movie (including in other languages)
Testify brother I know every animation movie full dialogues and an verse them

It’s horrible

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Lots of great suggestions already, so I'll only emphasize communications and navigation. You'll want to know where you are (if the intent is to get lost, then you'll know how to get back!) and some form of communications. A GMRS radio at a minimum is essential on group runs, HAM for longer range and/or as a hobby

Strongly encouraged to consider a Garmin or Zoleo for emergency communications and SOS if you're doing anything solo.

Logan Culley

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

New Zealand
First Name
Logan
Last Name
Culley
Go out and drive it, then start figuring out you are missing/need to get further.

No point building a hardcore rig for overlanding down gravel roads.

For Me this turned out to be, tyres, snorkel, winch(and bumper)

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Vehicle mods
For a beginner :

1. tires,
2. what ever recovery things you can afford. Recovery - starting with the minimum, a shovel up to what ever as experience and need arises
3. vehicle protection(engine skid plate and rock sliders) ,

But for first trips tires and some recovery stuff should be enough to get you out there. If you see that you like it, want to tackle more remote places, stay out for longer, do more technical trails, you can add more stuff after.
But there is no point in sinking a lot of money if you never been on any trips .
Camping mods, I would say power, and storage stuff..

Sklnbnzaz

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Phoenix Arizona, USA
First Name
Graham & Steph
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Might be a little late on this Answer…

Driving a 2020 Ford Ranger (love it)
We started with…

Tires
Moderate suspension upgrade
Skid plates (saved our bacon)

Since…
Lighting
Front Bumper and Winch
Rear seat delete along with some electrical upgrades

We started with a used RTT and bed rack to make sure this really was “for us” knowing we could sell it for little to no $ loss. (Just upgraded and sold the first tent for what we paid)

Of course we also carry tools, recovery gear, fuel, water communication devices etc.

adv.fam.4

Rank III

Explorer I

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
So, What did you decide on OP?
There's probably an answer to this question already that everyone has a general consensus on, but for the sake of those of us who are just starting out ....

If you had to start over from the beginning, tabula rasa, what would you say are the first 3 most important things you would need to start overlanding and off-roading (assuming that a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit are an ABSOLUTE given...)?

I'm new enough to this particular field of camping and the outdoors that I feel like I've been inundated with information and am really not sure where to start, haha.
So, What did you decide on?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

There's probably an answer to this question already that everyone has a general consensus on, but for the sake of those of us who are just starting out ....

If you had to start over from the beginning, tabula rasa, what would you say are the first 3 most important things you would need to start overlanding and off-roading (assuming that a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit are an ABSOLUTE given...)?

I'm new enough to this particular field of camping and the outdoors that I feel like I've been inundated with information and am really not sure where to start, haha.
It really depends on the vehicle, the person and how you define "mods." The thread title asks about first 3 "mods" but then in the text you ask about the "things you would need...". IMHO, I'd answer very differently if I'm talking about vehicle mods, or just things somebody should have with them. Also assuming a fire extinguisher and first aid kit don't count, as you said, here are my lists...

"Things" to have with you:
  1. Satellite communication device (such as Garmin inReach) that you've tested and know how to use
  2. Backup water in excess of what you plan to use on your trip that would last you long enough for rescue crews to get to the most remote location you have planned
  3. Backup food in excess of what you plan to use on your trip that would last you long enough for rescue crews to get to the most remote location you have planned... and if I stretch my list past 3...
  4. Comms. Pretty straight forward, you have your Sat device for emergencies and keeping your people on the home-front informed, but having radios that work with your crew makes things much nicer and makes sure you can keep track of everyone.
  5. Tire plug kit & inflator. Again, I'm cheating and lumping things together, but you need to be able to plug a basic puncture, and you need to be able to air up (whether it's after airing down for traction/comfort or after a flat/plug incident).
  6. Jump pack as well as jumper cables. Probably the most common issue I see on the trail/camping is a dead battery (usually from lights/accessories forgot on).

And actual vehicle mods (NOTE: I'd probably change my list some based on the specific vehicle, but these are some general items):
  1. Tires. Whether you stick with the stock size, or if you go with a +1" or whatever will fit without suspension mods tires are the single most important vehicle mod. A good all terrain (hard to beat BFG KO2s) is probably the right tire for 95% of Overlanders... maybe 99%. In general though, just something with a good all terrain tread and tough sidewalls. I'm going to cheat a little bit, and add a matching full-size spare as part of "tires" and only count this as one "mod." ;)
  2. Winch/Recovery Gear. Again, cheating a bit counting related items as one "mod" but a winch is crucial, particularly if you go out alone. If you're always in a group, at least having true recovery points front and rear along with a kinetic recovery rope (not a "strap") and the gear to use 'em (soft shackles, etc.) is key. If this was just recovery gear obviously it'd fall more under "things" than "mods." However, I'm considering a winch and/or hard-mounted recovery points front and rear as the "mods."
  3. Skid plates/armor. Picking my 3rd was tough (I wanted to go with lockers/traction devices) but I think armor (particularly sliders and skids under susceptible parts like oil/trans pans and gas tanks will ensure you can get home, whereas lockers/traction devices will just get you further... and if I stretch my list past 3...
  4. Lockers/traction devices. 99% of Overlanders don't need true lockers front and rear. However, a rear locker or at least a very good LSD is pretty key. Lots and lots of vehicles at least have a rear LSD/locker option these days, so not necessary for many rigs.
  5. That's about it... I really don't have more unless I get more vehicle specific. Most vehicles people use for Overlanding don't need lifts, but say you're running a Subi or a cross-over SUV maybe a lift is worth it. It really gets more specific after this.
-TJ