Contributor III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Hey Everybody,

I'll be coming back to the states for some R&R and will be going on my first overlanding adventure with a friend. I'm renting a VERY capable rig from a company based in Denver and will have everything I need in terms of comms, recovery etc. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on good routes between Denver and Meridian ID. I know for sure we will be spending some time in Breckinridge and also exploring Boreas Pass. Outside of that, I haven't nailed things down yet. Any advice or past experiences would be greatly helpful! Thanks everyone.

Poserlander

Rank 0

Traveler I

Cayucos
Hey Everybody,

I'll be coming back to the states for some R&R and will be going on my first overlanding adventure with a friend. I'm renting a VERY capable rig from a company based in Denver and will have everything I need in terms of comms, recovery etc. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on good routes between Denver and Meridian ID. I know for sure we will be spending some time in Breckinridge and also exploring Boreas Pass. Outside of that, I haven't nailed things down yet. Any advice or past experiences would be greatly helpful! Thanks everyone.
If you make your way out to California I will take you on a guided tour of the backroads through Big Sur/ Central California Coastal Area. Definitely something that should be on your bucket list. Pristine valleys and coastlines. Uncrowned and undeveloped.

Reactions: Bigal0607

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Been through that whole area overlanding, but it’s been a while and there’s just so much to see it’s hard to narrow it down.m and it’s been a while for me, so routes have changed. I’m also sure despite being there, I’ve probably missed the best routes so take my advice for what it’s worth! There are some neat networks of various roads on the western side of the Salt Lake in Utah. It’s kind of “on the way” from CO to ID.

There are also the Back country discovery routes for I think a few of the states you’ll pass through; I’m in mobile and can’t find the links but you may be able to chart some parts of your route through there.

Honestly there’s more good overlanding between those two locations than there are “boring” routes, depending on what you are interested in, so it’ll be hard for you to go too far wrong. You may want to check and see about trip reports for that area here on OB too as that might give you some places to see or even specific people to reach out to.

Bigal0607

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Been through that whole area overlanding, but it’s been a while and there’s just so much to see it’s hard to narrow it down.m and it’s been a while for me, so routes have changed. I’m also sure despite being there, I’ve probably missed the best routes so take my advice for what it’s worth! There are some neat networks of various roads on the western side of the Salt Lake in Utah. It’s kind of “on the way” from CO to ID.

There are also the Back country discovery routes for I think a few of the states you’ll pass through; I’m in mobile and can’t find the links but you may be able to chart some parts of your route through there.

Honestly there’s more good overlanding between those two locations than there are “boring” routes, depending on what you are interested in, so it’ll be hard for you to go too far wrong. You may want to check and see about trip reports for that area here on OB too as that might give you some places to see or even specific people to reach out to.
Everything that I've seen about the Back Country Discovery routes leans towards motorcycles. Regular off-road vehicles are permitted?

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Everything that I've seen about the Back Country Discovery routes leans towards motorcycles. Regular off-road vehicles are permitted?
You’ve got me there — I don’t know. For some reason I believe that some sections are both bikes and 4x4s but now that you mention it I am thinking I mostly heard about those routes from a motorbike perspective. I am not 100% sure so you might want to double check!