Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
We left yesterday on our first overland trip. We decided to not go too too far has this was the first long trip in the Land Rover. On this trip I really wanted to test my current setup, what I'm missing, what I would like, what works, and what doesn't. First mistake was that we left too late. We had a birthday party to attend before leaving so we ended up arriving to the site just before it got dark. We just had enough time to setup the tent before it got dark. We could have got to the site a little earlier but I wanted to take the more scenic view. Here are some pics of the trip, FIY the pictures are not the best quality, they were taken with my iPhone 6s and my girlfriend's cell. But no filter were used. I would like to get an actual camera in the future :)

Hope you guys enjoy.

Field 1.jpg

Cow.jpg

First Stop.jpg

Took use about two and a half hours to get to the site. I found the site using the iOverlander app.

Landy and Sunset.jpg

Ocean view.jpg

Site & Mountain.jpg

Sunset 1.jpg

Sunset 2.jpg

Sunset 3.jpg

And we hit our first stage pretty early. My Coleman stove stopped working, the pump on it just decided to stop working. Luckily I brought some firewood with me and were able to find a little more around the site. So we had to improvise for supper. We made hotdogs on the coals.

Fire.jpg

Our sleeping setup consisted of a 3 man tent with a mattress that I borrowed from a co-worker. We were relatively comfy, but in the middle of the night the wind really picked and it started to rain pretty heavily. We stayed somewhat dry, but it could have been better. Lets just say that once I buy a tent I will spend a little more and get something that can hold up a little better in the rain.

This is what our setup looked like the next morning.

Setup.jpg

I woke up early to take some pic of the sunrise, but it was super foggy so these are what I came up with.

Morning Fog.jpg

Morning fog 2.jpg

Morning fog 5.jpg

Well this is all folks, I hope this was not too long or to many pictures. We had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

We left yesterday on our first overland trip. We decided to not go too too far has this was the first long trip in the Land Rover. On this trip I really wanted to test my current setup, what I'm missing, what I would like, what works, and what doesn't. First mistake was that we left too late. We had a birthday party to attend before leaving so we ended up arriving to the site just before it got dark. We just had enough time to setup the tent before it got dark. We could have got to the site a little earlier but I wanted to take the more scenic view. Here are some pics of the trip, FIY the pictures are not the greatest quality has they were taken with my phone and my girlfriend's cell phone. I really need to get a better camera :P

View attachment 110983

View attachment 110985

View attachment 110990

Took use about two and a half hours to get to the site. I found the site using the iOverlander app.

View attachment 110986

View attachment 110987

View attachment 110988

View attachment 110991

View attachment 110992

View attachment 110993

And we hit our first stage pretty early. My Coleman stove stopped working, the pump on it just decided to stop working. Luckily I brought some firewood with me and were able to find a little more around the site. So we had to improvise for supper. We made hotdogs on the coals.

View attachment 110994

Our sleeping setup consisted of a 3 man tent with a mattress that I borrowed from a co-worker. We were relatively comfy, but in the middle of the night the wind really picked and it started to rain pretty heavily. We stayed somewhat dry, but it could have been better. Lets just say that once I buy a tent I will spend a little more and get something that can hold up a little better in the rain.

This is what our setup looked like the next morning.

View attachment 110995

I woke up early to take some pic of the sunrise, but it was super foggy so these are what I came up with.

View attachment 110998

View attachment 110999

View attachment 111002

Well this is all folks, I hope this was not too long or to many pictures. We had a great time and can't wait to do it again.
Amazing spot! Welcome to our world! ;-)

Reactions: Blaklyte

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Looks like a great view! Sometimes the misadventures are the most memorable. With a 5 year old, another on the way, 3 dogs, and a busy career most of my trips are short too. I’ve found that planning a short trip around a 3-4 day weekend every few months makes the daily grind go so much easier.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Looks like a great view! Sometimes the misadventures are the most memorable. With a 5 year old, another on the way, 3 dogs, and a busy career most of my trips are short too. I’ve found that planning a short trip around a 3-4 day weekend every few months makes the daily grind go so much easier.
That's what I would like to do. This was a really short trip, we left Saturday around 6 and we came back the Sunday around 3. Next trip will try for a full weekend.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Just a suggestion, you might try using the guylines for the rainfly. That might help the moisture and the wind. I would also look into a footprint/ground tarp the same size or just smaller than the floor of the tent. That'll help with any moisture on the ground. You might also look into some NikWax to re-weatherproof the tent. $25 tops and it definitely makes a difference. Just some cheap ways to get that tent to last longer so you're not pressured into buying something quickly. Plus having a backup tent is always nice, even if it's not the best one out there. I re-weatherproofed my girlfriends cheap popup style tent over buying another one simply because it works and works well for our needs. I splurged on a tarp to throw over it in the event it starts raining hard or it's cold. Not the best thing but it works for now until we upgrade to a better ground tent or get a RTT.

Reactions: Road

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Looks like a great first time out! Thank you sharing your experience with everyone.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Just a suggestion, you might try using the guylines for the rainfly. That might help the moisture and the wind. I would also look into a footprint/ground tarp the same size or just smaller than the floor of the tent. That'll help with any moisture on the ground. You might also look into some NikWax to re-weatherproof the tent. $25 tops and it definitely makes a difference. Just some cheap ways to get that tent to last longer so you're not pressured into buying something quickly. Plus having a backup tent is always nice, even if it's not the best one out there. I re-weatherproofed my girlfriends cheap popup style tent over buying another one simply because it works and works well for our needs. I splurged on a tarp to throw over it in the event it starts raining hard or it's cold. Not the best thing but it works for now until we upgrade to a better ground tent or get a RTT.
The floor of the tent was dry but the side not so much. Thanks for the input with the NikWax, I will check it out.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

If you are looking for a reasonably priced tent that works great in the rain, the Mountainsmith Morrison 3 or 4 would be a good choice. I have the 3 and I have used it in horrible weather and stayed dry as a bone. The fly goes all the way down to the ground, so no rain gets in.
Last month I was in Yellowstone NP and we got stuck in a thunderstorm. It poured all night long. When we woke up there was water flowing by and under the tent. It was still raining and yet I was dry as a bone inside. All my gear was stored in the tent as I was on a Motorcycle for that trip.
It was the worst downpour I have ever camped in and the tent exceeded my expectations.
I have had it for 5 years now and I couldn't be happier with it.
BTW, it also has Aluminum poles, that fold down short for compact storage and color matched clips for easy setup.