Zionsville, Marion County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Soto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
(GMRS) WRPN541
A lot of good input so far... I personally started with tires, not huge but better quality for a mix of on/off-road. Then comms, ham and GMRS for me. And a spreadsheet of specific parts/mods as I researched what others have done and what my intent for capabilities is/will be. This gives me a "wish list" of sorts, can be prioritized as I go, and specifics as I find deals and opportunities.
That’s not a bad idea!
I already have comms(gmrs). I’m going to start with suspension cause mine is leaking, then wheels and tires. I have 20s from factory so I’ll replace them with 17s.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
That’s not a bad idea!
I already have comms(gmrs). I’m going to start with suspension cause mine is leaking, then wheels and tires. I have 20s from factory so I’ll replace them with 17s.
I've tried to incorporate upgrades with repairs, any time I had to fix/replace something do the mod/upgrade at that time. That's part of what led to building a list/spreadsheet of brands/models/parts, have a plan for when it's needed.

Reactions: Sergio17

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I started with tires and shocks. make sure to upgrade your spare too. i was quite surprised to find what i can only describe as an oversized temp tire (like you would find in any family car) mounted under my 4x4 Ram. ended up doing a 5mph 8 mile crawl before i got back to pavement.View attachment 227990
I feel your pain. I had it happen to me in WV at the end of last season, on a 4wheeler trip, with the 4 wheeler in the bed of my Ram. Truck doesn’t do well with that little spare on and a heavy load. Couldn’t find a tire to match my remaining 3. Had to buy and odd tire. That 4th oddball tire is now going on a new rim( can’t mount a full size 20” tire on that spare rim) and replacing the spare.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I have a stock 2011 4Runner Limited and don’t know where to start with mods.
Any suggestions or tips? Thank You!
I love spending other folks money but here's the first thing you should do.
Pack a lunch, cooler, lawn chair for you and your bride and head for the hills. Find a nice meadow and enjoy the view. Think about what and where you'll be in five years and build from there.
Most of all, be safe, take care of our National Treasures and enjoy.
Zim

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
I feel your pain. I had it happen to me in WV at the end of last season, on a 4wheeler trip, with the 4 wheeler in the bed of my Ram. Truck doesn’t do well with that little spare on and a heavy load. Couldn’t find a tire to match my remaining 3. Had to buy and odd tire. That 4th oddball tire is now going on a new rim( can’t mount a full size 20” tire on that spare rim) and replacing the spare.
yea i used a tire calculator to get a tire as close to the same size as the 20" rims to mount on the 17" spare rim.

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

Comms and recovery. After that go out and find the pain points. The list will grow from that.

My only word of advice as a friend learned. Do buy a sleeping bad at a supermarket. You will be cold. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Hey Sergio,
I am hardly the expert as I've just recently joined and consider myself a "rookie." It might be true that it doesn't matter what you drive, but it certainly matters what you pack. Depending on tire wear, the first thing I would install are brand new treads. It depends on WHERE you plan to go. If you're a rock climber, then I would consider skid plates for the undercarriage. If you are going to be off the grid, then consider navigation and comm's.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
astm

Sergio17

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Soto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
(GMRS) WRPN541
Hey Sergio,
I am hardly the expert as I've just recently joined and consider myself a "rookie." It might be true that it doesn't matter what you drive, but it certainly matters what you pack. Depending on tire wear, the first thing I would install are brand new treads. It depends on WHERE you plan to go. If you're a rock climber, then I would consider skid plates for the undercarriage. If you are going to be off the grid, then consider navigation and comm's.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
astm
Thank you Renegade Recon.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Light bar. And a skottle. Perhaps a drone. I mean, can you even overland without them?

In all seriousness, I’d go with tires. I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure that pretty much all Toyotas come from the factory with sub-par off-road tires (or maybe just highway variants). Decent ATs that are appropriately aired down will change your off-road experience dramatically.

Sergio17

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Soto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
(GMRS) WRPN541
Light bar. And a skottle. Perhaps a drone. I mean, can you even overland without them?
I’m definitely changing out my wheels, they are factory 20” and getting new all terrain tires.
In all seriousness, I’d go with tires. I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure that pretty much all Toyotas come from the factory with sub-par off-road tires (or maybe just highway variants). Decent ATs that are appropriately aired down will change your off-road experience dramatically.

Reactions: Uberland

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
The very first thing is go out an learn what your vehicle can do, and how it drives.... Then go and modify it. You don't have to have the biggest baddest built tricked out vehicle to enjoy overland adventuring. A sound vehicle, camping gear, and the spirit for adventure: That's all you need, all of the time.

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
While these are not technically all vehicle mods I suggest you take a broader view.

I would start with

1) Making sure that rig is well maintained ie oil changes, repairs, etc
2) Tires and a compressor to air up / down
3) some Basic Tools and Recovery gear ie start with a Shovel, a Strap/shackles and recovery points
4) Comms
5) Medical

Then comes the creature comfort

1) Sleeping arrangement that is comfortable
2) Fridge
3) Roofrack

Then the rest ... have at it ... your budget appetite will drive this one

One last comment - the priorities really depend on your type of travel, the normal terrain, your preferences

hope this helps

picknpluck

Rank V

Advocate II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Geoffrey
Last Name
Krueger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ZZF
Service Branch
Army (Retired)
What do you guys think about Rancho Shocks for a entry level upgrade?
Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm brand new here and I don't know what I don't know when it comes to Overland suspension upgrades. That said, I DO know about motorcycle upgrades and I think the same principal applies across the board, and that is: If you're going to spend money on an upgrade, then spend it right the first time. In other words, "Buy once, cry once."

Don't spend money on entry level upgrades, only to find out a few months down the road, you really want/need the capabilities offered by more serious upgrades. Just my $.02...

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
What do you guys think about Rancho Shocks for a entry level upgrade?
Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm brand new here and I don't know what I don't know when it comes to Overland suspension upgrades. That said, I DO know about motorcycle upgrades and I think the same principal applies across the board, and that is: If you're going to spend money on an upgrade, then spend it right the first time. In other words, "Buy once, cry once."

Don't spend money on entry level upgrades, only to find out a few months down the road, you really want/need the capabilities offered by more serious upgrades. Just my $.02...
Yeah I’d agree. It’s what o did on my last build

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but what does your rig not do for you, that you need it to? The answer(s) to this question should provide the direction for your mods, if any.

Being over a decade old I'd just start with making sure all of the maintenance is up to date and thoroughly inspect the suspension and steering components. If any of the steering and suspension is questionable, or approaching it's service life I'd replace it proactively if you intend to spend a lot of time off road. Besides that, the biggest "mod" I'd suggest would be great tires. Tires are everything, and something with a strong sidewall is critical on the trail IMHO.

After that go use it a bunch and figure out where it's letting you down. Once you find areas that actually need improvement for your use cases then you'll know what mods to do, rather than just throwing $ at it.

-TJ