Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Is anyone aware of any backwoods/outdoor specific first aid training classes or certification courses available?

My wife is a nurse, and has a wealth of knowledge when in a medical facility, but is interested in training for the field.

On another thought, this might be a good filler for one of those "tba" spots in the trophy levels.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
and your local REI should have training about once or twice a month

Lok_Sanchari

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, VA
First Name
Suresh
Last Name
Adusumilli
Member #

Is anyone aware of any backwoods/outdoor specific first aid training classes or certification courses available?

My wife is a nurse, and has a wealth of knowledge when in a medical facility, but is interested in training for the field.

On another thought, this might be a good filler for one of those "tba" spots in the trophy levels.
Red Cross has some training classes. Please find a class at your location.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Red Cross has some training classes. Please find a class at your location.
I took Red Cross courses and ones that were sports specific when I was a Scout Leader and a Lacrosse Coach. They were very worth while plus I needed them for my certifications. They are one of those things that you have to keep up if you want to be confident in your abilities. It's not quite a use or lose it problem as you do retain a lot of information. The thing is though that if everything goes well you never use it and your abilities slip a bit. I took a few refresher courses over the years and they were always worth the time.

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
Check out your local Emergency Medical Services training departments and such. Sometimes the regional governing body will host courses ( Regional Training - REMS Council ) This is just an example of the type of organization. The training announcements are more active in the spring and fall time frames. They will have occasional Search and Rescue Training, Rope Rescue Training, Wilderness FIrst Aid / Survival Training, Land Navigation, Cave Rescue, etc...

Depending on your location, sometimes you will have access to local Tech. Rescue Teams that will host trainings. See if you have any Cave Rescue / Wilderness Rescue Teams nearby. ( Cave Rescue Group — Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad )

There are also EMT Expos and Training Weekends that pop up throughout the year that are advertised as Fire Rescue Regional Schools where a lot of people get extra and specialty training, 2-4 day courses, for example, Caroline County Fire and EMS Spring School ( )

I'm not on Facebook anymore, but it is a valuable resource. Find the local Fire Rescue / Tech Rescue groups and follow their training division. The groups do a good job of posting surround areas classes. Focusing on these you wont have to travel too far to get in a course.

Good Luck.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
National Ski Patrol offers a "Outdoor Emergency Care" program. You do not have to be a expert skier to participate in the National Ski Patrol. I went through the program in the mid 90's.
If your wife is a nurse she already has the skills to stabilize an injured person/s the next move would be evacuation if possible. You should be able to order this book.
Zim

IMG-1725.JPG IMG-1726.JPGIMG-0905.JPG

Last edited:

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

In college (2000) I took Wilderness First Aid (2 day class) and Wilderness First Responder (5 day class) through a company called SOLO. I was just looking yesterday into getting WFA again. It’s about $250 and there are monthly classes in NC and SC. They are classroom and hands on classes geared toward backcountry sports.