LionelJeeper

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Ohio
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Member #

I was wondering what first aid kit everyone carried with them and if anyone had a recommendation for a specific one.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

I'm a fan of Dark Angel Medical. Their Kit for Life program is great, and I can attest that they will indeed replace your kit if you use it in saving a life. Lots of other companies out there putting out good stuff too. Just make sure what wherever you get your supplies from that they're a reputable seller. Amazon, for instance, has tons of fake CAT tourniquets for sale. (they make good trainers, but I wouldn't trust them for anything else, personally).

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

Adventure medical kits are fantastic kits that don’t break the bank. Extremely user friendly with a variety of kits for different applications and levels of training. They even have a dog/cat specific kit for your adventure pup. I keep one of their mountain series backpacker kits in the jeep at all times. With some extra stuff thrown in them and an Israeli bandage and CAT on the side or in an IFAK, you can have yourself a pretty capable FAK

Reactions: LionelJeeper

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

I like that!
I’ve never used or seen in person the pet kits, but they’re on the website, last I looked. Having a specific kit for Fido or Fluffy had never crossed my mind until I read their description, it makes a lot of sense

LionelJeeper

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Ohio
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Member #

I’ve never used or seen in person the pet kits, but they’re on the website, last I looked. Having a specific kit for Fido or Fluffy had never crossed my mind until I read their description, it makes a lot of sense
Wife and I took a first aid class just for dogs. We learned a lot. First time I had heard of doggie specific first aid kits was at the class.

CROwarrior21m

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

I usually will build my kits for that I am trained for and what I think I need, which I have to remember to keep tamed, otherwise it will be the size of the truck. I think the training is just as important as the equipment, because I you don't know how to use it correctly, then it can cause more harm than good.

Also look for items that have dual purpose. You single use items like an Israeli Bandage has it's one job, things like triangle bandages can do a few things from sling and bandage, etc.

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

I usually will build my kits for that I am trained for and what I think I need, which I have to remember to keep tamed, otherwise it will be the size of the truck. I think the training is just as important as the equipment, because I you don't know how to use it correctly, then it can cause more harm than good.

Also look for items that have dual purpose. You single use items like an Israeli Bandage has it's one job, things like triangle bandages can do a few things from sling and bandage, etc.
Israeli bandages are very multi purpose! They can be used as a general pressure bandage, as a TQ (in a pinch), binding for a splint, ace wrap, arm sling, and tons more if you’re creative.

Reactions: Jean-Yves Hudon

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

I highly recommend the MyMedic MyFAK in the *advanced* version. It’s $200 so it’s not cheap, but it’s awesome. I’ve supplemented it with an extra CAT tourniquet (they give you a RATS), but I also want one in arms reach easily accessible if I get in a bad accident and am stuck in the drivers seat, a SAM splint, and another instant ice pack.

Edit: added photo and a link. The advanced kit is on the left. The basic is on the right. I have both, we keep the basic kit in my wife’s car since she pretty much only drives her car like 5 miles to/from work, although we’ve supplemented hers with a CAT tourniquet as well.

View attachment 72894

https://mymedic.us/products/myfak-firstaidkit?variant=18324325315

Last edited:

afaulkner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Faulkner
Member #

I use the MyMedic MyFAK in my rig. It is relatively affordable and is a complete first aid kit with 2 different levels depending on your first aid background or requirements. The basic kit is more than enough for most overlanders. It features a buckle and Velcro attachment for quick access.

Reactions: Catdog

Rich Faller

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Durango
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Faller
Member #

I personally have looked into the outer limit supply kits. Having the ability to mount a FAK to the outside of a vehicle for easy access is genius, but again, for some people in this community a basic FAK that costs upwards of $200 isn’t always manageable. I get that First Aid and safety should always be the primary concern and we should never skimp on those, but there are more reasonable options for a comprehensive and complete FAK. Someday, i definitely see myself with something like the outer limit supply kits, but that’ll be when my disposable income is significantly higher and I can afford a fancy kit housed in a hard case with mounts and stuff. Just my .02

Reactions: Overland California

Catdog

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Amarillo, TX
Member #

I have built my first-aid kit and trauma kit myself, ordering most of the trauma stuff over time. I always keep it in my 4Runner for my family and others I may come across!

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

I like the idea of making your own based on my training, but also specific activities. If I mountain bike, my riding pack will have the minimum to stop bleeding and get out of the trail. The 4Runner one has more functions including basecamp stuff and minor boo boo.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm another build it yourself guy, I do a lot of shooting when out in the woods and wanted to address possible gunshot or powder burn issues (black powder revolvers). One large bag holds most of it but I keep a boo boo bag in the cab for minor cuts and bruises.