Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
the other half and love looking for old fire towers and newer ones. I know in some spots they are still in use out here in the east.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Found this concrete block thing formed into a boulder about 30 feet from an abandoned and dismantled fire tower. Anyone know what it is? 6F2C2F42-7519-4A90-B70A-D6692628606F.jpeg
D104372A-B927-4A68-AFB8-27A18F4B6213.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

What's inside the cylinder? If ots deep, it might have been for a flagpole or weather station stand. If its shallow and there looks to be a spike hole in the rock itself it could have been for a support wire. I'm also curious if there are 3 others surrounding the old tower site

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

What's inside the cylinder? If ots deep, it might have been for a flagpole or weather station stand. If its shallow and there looks to be a spike hole in the rock itself it could have been for a support wire. I'm also curious if there are 3 others surrounding the old tower site
It was shallow, about 8” and a hollow round hole. And it was the only one I could find. I found all 4 foundation footings, a survey marker, and the foundation for the stairs.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We haven't been into the wilderness for a few weekends. Hoping to go see some of the firetowers I noticed on the maps.

I wish I had more time to just travel and enjoy nature. But...got to get stuff done.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just looking at it for what it looks like...it looks like a chimney liner.

Not sure what it's purpose would be.

Interesting.
Heliograph mount maybe - for signaling by light? Did you get a chance, while you were up there, to see what line of sight is visible from that spot? An old fire station in a town down below or another old tower location on another nearby hill?

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
Found this tower in Shawnee State Forest near Otway Ohio. Otway also has a covered bridge. The tower is open to climb. I think a it’s on google maps as Shawnee fire tower.

Attachments

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

We found this cool tower at Havasupai Point, on the south rim of the Grand Canyon about 40 miles on dirt roads west of Tusayan. It would have been a fabulous view of the canyon from the top but they had removed the bottom flight of stairs to prevent access. Oh well, we were camped (in a reserved spot) just a few feet from the drop off into the Grand Canyon, with absolutely spectacular views!!

180528_Southwest_291.JPG

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We found this cool tower at Havasupai Point, on the south rim of the Grand Canyon about 40 miles on dirt roads west of Tusayan. It would have been a fabulous view of the canyon from the top but they had removed the bottom flight of stairs to prevent access. Oh well, we were camped (in a reserved spot) just a few feet from the drop off into the Grand Canyon, with absolutely spectacular views!!

View attachment 179510
That's all they did to prevent access?

Go-go-gadget grappling hook!

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Olbrjam1

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

Northwest, Canutillo, Texas 79835, United States
First Name
JAMES
Last Name
OLBRISCH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WKY

View attachment 179510
That's all they did to prevent access?

Go-go-gadget grappling hook!
That's funny the two I have visited in the Lincoln NF were both open all the way to the top and the shack up top was locked. They were both acting as repeater towers for the FS here you can see my mom walking up

Attachments

Reactions: DevilDodge

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I suppose communications repeater, and maybe weather stations, make good use for these now. Unfortunately some may also be used as cell towers because, well, we can never be unplugged, right?

Olbrjam1

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

Northwest, Canutillo, Texas 79835, United States
First Name
JAMES
Last Name
OLBRISCH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WKY
I suppose communications repeater, and maybe weather stations, make good use for these now. Unfortunately some may also be used as cell towers because, well, we can never be unplugged, right?

I dont know that the forest service is in the habit of allowing private companies to put up thier equipment on thier towers. There is alot more infrastructure to a cell site than just the antenna, many dont know it but every cell tower has a bundle of fiber optic cables running from it to a Node. Maybe its done on private land but I've never seen it in a NF

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
If you look at my first picture on this thread you can see the communications tower beside the fire tower. That is state game lands.

Not sure if it can be seen, but one of the other fire towers I posted it is the same setup...on state forest lands.

We only have one National forest here, Allegheny, but I would venture to guess it is similar.