DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
As we set out exploring and camping one of the things we like to find are firetowers.

So, figured I would start a thread to see if any other East region members like to find them too.

This one is on fire tower road in Blandburg, PA.

My son and I like to hike the short trail up to it and stare up at it since you can no longer enter it.

20191103_130359.jpg20191103_131450.jpg20191103_130825.jpg20191103_131410.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m In Eastern Oregon does that count t as East lol... I live firetowers... some of my first adventures were searching for firetowers. They used to be public access, but now they have either torn a lot of them down, or blocked them off with gates in my area.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Slimpartywagon of course it counts.

I just posted it here as right now my travels are limited to Pennsylvania.

But, hopefully in the future we could find a few together anywhere.

Funny thing about this particular one is about oh a few years ago it was dilapidated and you could enter it...now it is refurbished and no entrance. Lol.

Love getting outdoors and always enjoy finding something cool...firetowers fit the bill

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Slimpartywagon of course it counts.

I just posted it here as right now my travels are limited to Pennsylvania.

But, hopefully in the future we could find a few together anywhere.

Funny thing about this particular one is about oh a few years ago it was dilapidated and you could enter it...now it is refurbished and no entrance. Lol.

Love getting outdoors and always enjoy finding something cool...firetowers fit the bill
Out here ghost towns and old homesteads seam to be the thing we look for...ohh and abandoned mines.

Reactions: Wallygator

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We have a few of the mentioned here as well. There is alot that has gone missing in Pennsylvania...I hope to find some of it and pass the experiences on with my son.
I wish I would have had time to explore Pennsylvania when I drove through in 08 and then again in 13...
it’s been 7 years today that I left the east coast. Now I know why I woke up feeling blue.

Reactions: Road

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We enjoy Pennsylvania. There are alot of things to see from the main roads. We have seen quite a majority of them.

Now that my son is older, he has shared that he likes to explore and see things other may never see.

We went to see the Skywalk at Kinzua Viaduct and he insisted we walk down the trail to see the stuff fewer people were looking at.

He said that lots of people were going out on it and looking at the ground below. He wanted to go down on the ground and look up at it.

It is one heck of a hike...showed me how out of shape I am...but it was worth it for the smile on his face.

20191027_144216.jpg20191027_144748.jpg20191027_145843.jpg20191027_150248.jpg20191027_150448.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
A tornado. It wiped the whole valley and mountain.

I have gone there since childhood. We went up right after it happened. It was amazing.

They were in the process of restoring it. The anchor bolts? I believe were what was deteriorating.

I can remember walking across it as the train was coming. That was an interesting situation.

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

Some info about the fire towers

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I got my Purple Lizard Maps this past week.

One and only one disappointing thing was they don't have a fire tower symbol. Just a square dot and tower after the name.

The day use map for Bald Eagle shows one. But, the Purple Lizard map does not have it listed.

Will be interested to get tires in the dirt at the spot to see what is up.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

We enjoy Pennsylvania. There are alot of things to see from the main roads. We have seen quite a majority of them.

Now that my son is older, he has shared that he likes to explore and see things other may never see.

We went to see the Skywalk at Kinzua Viaduct and he insisted we walk down the trail to see the stuff fewer people were looking at.

He said that lots of people were going out on it and looking at the ground below. He wanted to go down on the ground and look up at it.

It is one heck of a hike...showed me how out of shape I am...but it was worth it for the smile on his face.

View attachment 139748View attachment 139746View attachment 139747View attachment 139745View attachment 139744

Wow this reminds me of Clayton Ravine, formally known as Shonash Ravine.
Like in that documentary on how to move through time.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
After waiting for the 2nd edition of the Moshannon/Quehanna map it is finally done and in my possession.

I told my son they show a few firetowers. His eyes lit up. Looks like we will be going exploring in this area soon in search of the towers.

Anxious to get out.