First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Heh
Not going to stir the political pot here. (yea, I live in CA also).
Some of the areas I go, don't allow ground fires. I can see that trending into the future. I have a bunch of 10 gauge sheet metal so I'm going to put together a fold-able fire pit. Last year was the first time I got to see a propane fire pit. We were in the forest with a heavy fire restriction. That was the only reason we got to have a fire. Probably gonna end up with one of those.

As for fire rings and ash, when possible, I use one already made. It's not unusual to have to dig it out and pull the broken bottles and burned can's out, rework the rocks then end up packing out the burned trash someone left. In the Panamint Valley, the fire rings are everywhere to the point of being ridicules. Here is where if people used portables, the area wouldn't look like that.

I'm not for or against ground fires. Most likely not removing ash. I do see us being restricted in the future just due to the fact a good number of people are going to ruin it for us.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you want less ashes our Fireside Outdoor popup pit has been awesome. It burns down to practically no ash and is easy to clean up and put away. Once you fire gets going there is generally a lot less smoke to. Since I wrote the following post we have cooked with it a few times. It has worked great for that too. Especially with quality wood and not crappy convenience store/grocery store bundles.

I won't join the xxxx contest on what is right or wrong... This is what we like. If you do too great. If not that's fine.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you want less ashes our Fireside Outdoor popup pit has been awesome. It burns down to practically no ash and is easy to clean up and put away. Once you fire gets going there is generally a lot less smoke to. Since I wrote the following post we have cooked with it a few times. It has worked great for that too. Especially with quality wood and not crappy convenience store/grocery store bundles.
Those look nice. Is the bottom plate completely perforated?

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Folding firepit.jpg
This is the one I use. It's small, and it also burns the wood down to almost nothing. I find that I only need to pack in about 1/3 of the wood I used to pack.. so that's a win, too. On the trip in the photo, there was an established fire ring already there - in an area where on the ground fires are not allowed.

Reactions: TexasGMG

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off

I won't join the xxxx contest on what is right or wrong... This is what we like. If you do too great. If not that's fine.
I've seen those advertised and they looked cool. I still like the fire pit even with it's short comings. lol

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
ok so my personal take on this.. I will use a fire pit when there is one existing at the site. I don't enjoy building a fire pit because I usually don't have a whole lot of time to spend in 1 place. I have thought about building a ring to go on or around my spare tire that I can just take off and light a fire but I don't think I have ever been somewhere that doesn't have a fire pit. even when I am wilderness camping I always seem to come across a pit. I don't want to bring my ashes back with me because I don't want to add a new smell or stain to the vehicle for my wife to complain about lol. I may still build a portable pit but the ashes will stay at the camp site mainly because its messy... and im am kinda lazy. Garbage is always backed out though.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

My 2 cents. We use ashes for the garden. We don’t pack them to the dump. That sounds like a silly prospect. Spread them out in the fire pit, put them fully out with water and all is well. I burn only what is burnable, will turn to ash quickly. Paper plates, napkins, not plastic or cans or any type of garbage. That should be hauled out with you.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

ok so my personal take on this.. I will use a fire pit when there is one existing at the site. I don't enjoy building a fire pit because I usually don't have a whole lot of time to spend in 1 place. I have thought about building a ring to go on or around my spare tire that I can just take off and light a fire but I don't think I have ever been somewhere that doesn't have a fire pit. even when I am wilderness camping I always seem to come across a pit. I don't want to bring my ashes back with me because I don't want to add a new smell or stain to the vehicle for my wife to complain about lol. I may still build a portable pit but the ashes will stay at the camp site mainly because its messy... and im am kinda lazy. Garbage is always backed out though.
The one I posted folds down to about the size of a laptop computer... and it burns the ashes down to almost nothing. I just up-end it into my trash bag and done. I pack my trash out in the same canvas bag I use for firewood, strapped into my roof basket.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
This thread has got me thinking about why I even have a fire. I'll perk my coffee on the fire, but it could easily be made on a coleman stove (which is where everything else is cooked). So really the biggest reason we have a camp fire is ambiance.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

This thread has got me thinking about why I even have a fire. I'll perk my coffee on the fire, but it could easily be made on a coleman stove (which is where everything else is cooked). So really the biggest reason we have a camp fire is ambiance.
I had that same conversation with a buddy.. he goes out more than anyone in my circle of friends. He said that he never has one anymore. The wood and other gear takes up too much in his rig.

Now he looks at the stars.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
This thread has got me thinking about why I even have a fire. I'll perk my coffee on the fire, but it could easily be made on a coleman stove (which is where everything else is cooked). So really the biggest reason we have a camp fire is ambiance..
Gets chilly out there too ! I like to warm my buns !

Reactions: TexasGMG

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
If I am unable to scavenge dead fall around my camp site, I generally don't have a fire. Transporting firewood across county or state lines is a risk I am unwilling to take since pest and disease are so easily transported with(in) firewood. Most states have clearly defined regulations regarding firewood, I've just never seen them enforced. It is my opinion that moving firewood between eco-regions is a greater land ethic and stewardship concern than leaving ash behind at a designated fire pit. I do transport store bought firewood if I can can pick it up within a hour of my campsite, which rarely happens because that might put me too close to civilization for the night.

I do love the smell of a camp fire and thoroughly enjoy the ambiance when using locally sourced firewood. I allow my firewood to burn completely in the pit and leave the ash since it is from native vegetation.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

If I am unable to scavenge dead fall around my camp site, I generally don't have a fire. Transporting firewood across county or state lines is a risk I am unwilling to take since pest and disease are so easily transported with(in) firewood. Most states have clearly defined regulations regarding firewood, I've just never seen them enforced. It is my opinion that moving firewood between eco-regions is a greater land ethic and stewardship concern than leaving ash behind at a designated fire pit. I do transport store bought firewood if I can can pick it up within a hour of my campsite, which rarely happens because that might put me too close to civilization for the night.

I do love the smell of a camp fire and thoroughly enjoy the ambiance when using locally sourced firewood. I allow my firewood to burn completely in the pit and leave the ash since it is from native vegetation.
That is an excellent point.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I only do a camp fire if I'm base camping. Overlanding is generally a new campsite every night, so we usually skip the fire, since we spent every bit of energy traveling and sightseeing. And too often someone screws up, and mentions my day job. Then I get stuck wrenching the night away during big group rides.

We'll have a fire if we're still full of energy, or we got to our stop way too early without broken trucks.

Usually the kids would rather explore more, than sit around. Unless camp fire AND fireworks.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Those look nice. Is the bottom plate completely perforated?
I would watch the short video. It might give you a better idea. It is a mesh screen on top and the foil looking piece below is a rollup material. Very little ash drops from the fire area down below.

Reactions: smritte

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I use a Snowpeak pretty much exclusively now, even if there's an established ring, and it also burns the wood down to virtually nothing. I haven't taken the step of packing out the ashes yet, but it's a point of pride that I spread them out so effectively that it would be impossible to tell where I had my fire. One of my next purchases will probably be a propane pit so I can have the fire even when bans are in place. I know fires aren't always necessary, but damn if I don't love ending my night and starting my morning by staring vacantly into the flames...

Frankly, I'm all for as many people as possible being as low-impact as possible.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Valid points. I have seen CA enforce them but only to the extent that your wood must be bagged and purchased from a store.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I only do a camp fire if I'm base camping. Overlanding is generally a new campsite every night, so we usually skip the fire, since we spent every bit of energy traveling and sightseeing. And too often someone screws up, and mentions my day job. Then I get stuck wrenching the night away during big group rides.

We'll have a fire if we're still full of energy, or we got to our stop way too early without broken trucks.

Usually the kids would rather explore more, than sit around. Unless camp fire AND fireworks.
I tend to be in a spot for 1-2 nights max but highway miles are not the highlight. The trail in as well as the camp spot are why I go out. I also do a lot of my cooking over the fire with cast iron so a fire works for me most of the time. I guess key words in there is " FOR ME" lol

Reactions: MidOH and TexasGMG