Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Here in Southern California, many of the places I go adventuring require metal fire pits.

It's really gotten me thinking. In the spirit of Tread Lightly, I'm finding myself more and more against building fires on the ground... even in an established, old fire ring. I also pack out my ashes.

I feel strongly that we should have as little impact as possible.

What say you?

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

The wood ash you leave behind contains significant amounts of potassium and calcium which raise the pH and reduce acidity, while providing smaller amounts of phosphorous and magnesium compared to other types of ash which harm plant growth. The Romans used wood ash centuries ago for gardening - I use wood ash mixed in my compost for our organic garden. It’s natural, and as long as you spread it around so it’s not highly concentrated, it will actually be beneficial for the land. Same thing with coffee grounds, btw. With that said, make sure it’s cooled so the potential of a fire does not exist.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
[But stay there, at least until we wall it in, better.]

It's a fire pit. It's supposed to be there. This is a slippery slope. Next stop on the slope is no people allowed at all. Zero impact. At least until some sort of wildlife f's up the balance.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Wildfires are part of the balance.

I think packing out ashes is a bit overboard. If you don't want to leave them out you could dig a hole or slit trench and bury them they'd be far moreuseful in/on the ground than in a garbage bag in a landfil. I like doing dakota fire pits, low profile, burns well and after you're done all you have is some disturbed dirt.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I can see your concerns, but I have to agree with Downs. If you're serious, take the cold, dead ash from the pit and lightly spread it around in the grasses and trees in the area before you build your fire. The next time it rains the potash will be washed into the soil. You then have a clean fire ring and have helped fertilize the area around your camp.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

This isn't a thread about what is allowed or what is not allowed. If everyone did what they were "allowed" to do to the fullest extent, there would be no wild areas left.

This is about respecting the places we value. About 80% of the time I'm out there, I build a fire.. in a metal container. You are correct about wildfires being natural.. but these are not wildfires.

The leftovers of the fire are basically trash. You pack out the rest of your trash, why not that?

As far as "California". Yep.. 4 generations strong now. My grandfather, father, I and my kids were born here and I'm proud of it.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Oh boy!!

Another form of elitism!

I am going to have to be the first on my block to get a Yeti stainless steel double wall ash packer. I think I will mount it on the hood. You know, just to make sure everybody can see it.

:yum:

Wait until the Rivian and Tesla owners show up. "We don't even leave any carbon emissions in the forest."

"Oh yeah? Well I don't even fart in the forest."

Next it will be someone with a rebreather system: "I don't even exhale in the forest."

It is just a matter of time before we get to the point of Bethselamin and we all have to get weighed before we enter and when we leave.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
This isn't a thread about what is allowed or what is not allowed. If everyone did what they were "allowed" to do to the fullest extent, there would be no wild areas left.

This is about respecting the places we value. About 80% of the time I'm out there, I build a fire.. in a metal container. You are correct about wildfires being natural.. but these are not wildfires.

The leftovers of the fire are basically trash. You pack out the rest of your trash, why not that?

As far as "California". Yep.. 4 generations strong now. My grandfather, father, I and my kids were born here and I'm proud of it.

I don't consider ash as trash. It's a resource that can be used to promote plant growth in the area. Most of the places we go (west Texas) have pretty crappy soil.
I pack out all the actual trash asshole people leave in the fire ring, but I distribute the ash before I build a fire.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here in Southern California, many of the places I go adventuring require metal fire pits.

It's really gotten me thinking. In the spirit of Tread Lightly, I'm finding myself more and more against building fires on the ground... even in an established, old fire ring. I also pack out my ashes.

What say you?
Carbon - ashes are great for the environment. Without ash, gardens would suffer. Tread lightly means haul out your trash-garbage, don't be burning circles with your rig, and stay on the established trail. Don't be cutting down live trees. Use it, don't abuse it, is what it's all about. Despite what some people think, human waste is not fertilizer. Bury it at least 12" below the surface.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
As to ashes being good for the soil, while that is true on the east coast, it is not true of the west coast.

The issue is acidity. The east has fairly acidic soil, while the soil in the west is fairly alkaline.

A gardener out west doesn't add ashes to his soil unless he is ignorant.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
As to ashes being good for the soil, while that is true on the east coast, it is not true of the west coast.

The issue is acidity. The east has fairly acidic soil, while the soil in the west is fairly alkaline.

A gardener out west doesn't add ashes to his soil unless he is ignorant.
Damn. Thanks, I had it backwards.

Reactions: zcostilla and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
In Texas ashes might be fine.

I don't know where the shift happens in the middle of the country.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

What say you?
A metal fire ring is for containing the fire in its place so as not to burn the surrounding grassy ground. It has nothing to do with the remaining ashes and coals. If ashes were harmful you can be sure the government regulators wouldn't even let you have a fire, fire ring or not. Yes leave the site cleaner than you found it but leave the ashes alone or scatter them for the benefit of the earth.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
In Texas ashes might be fine.

I don't know where the shift happens in the middle of the country.

We're at the east edge of the Balcones Escarpment, but go west and it become more rock and sand. I lived in the old Guadalupe River basin for years and if you dug down 12 inches you were in clay. Further west you can't dig at all without a rock bar. lol

Reactions: TxJeeper75

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh boy!!

Another form of elitism!

I am going to have to be the first on my block to get a Yeti stainless steel double wall ash packer. I think I will mount it on the hood. You know, just to make sure everybody can see it.

:yum:

Wait until the Rivian and Tesla owners show up. "We don't even leave any carbon emissions in the forest."

"Oh yeah? Well I don't even fart in the forest."

Next it will be someone with a rebreather system: "I don't even exhale in the forest."

It is just a matter of time before we get to the point of Bethselamin and we all have to get weighed before we enter and when we leave.
DITTO