Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Maughan
Hey everyone,

My family and I are finally in the position to start planning some weekend overlanding trips here in CO. I have zero off road experience and have been trying to find other families to show me the ropes. What advice do you guys have when you are looking for people to travel with and get to know? I'm finding it difficult to find families, let alone families with kids in similar situations, to go camping or overlanding with. Seems like everyone that goes "overlanding" is either a couple, or they don't have kids.

Background: My 5 year old boy is non-verbal and my 2 year old daughter is a tornado of curiosity.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
That's rough man. I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

Honestly, sometimes it's easier to just find a group that's heading out, and bring the kiddos with you. That's what I do (my daughter is 6). I've been lucky that I have a buddy who almost always goes with me, with a 7yo daughter as well.

Reactions: Mono-Mon

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have been going alone for decades and still do. However, in the past two years we seem to have attracted a couple of family members and a couple of newfound friends that want to travel with us. Like I said though, it took decades. Traveling with others is not easy, unless you are out with very likeminded people. Even then, have a depart time and a rough time when to meet at a destination, ie trail head or campground. 3 of us went this past trip and we headed west to Montrose, where we all met, had dinner the night before, and headed out the next morning. I have a 500 mile range, I set the cruise at 65 and go. My BIL runs about 80 mph in his truck, my Sil likes to stop every two hours or so and get out of his truck. It’s just not possible to convoy, even with family, ever. I hate convoys anyway. Then, unto the trail. In a group there’s always going to be a Mr Large & In Charge and they usually know nothing & eventually need to be firmly put in their place. Nothing worse than two spotters, or someone telling me how to pack down my camp, etc etc. Did I mention my wife and I still go it alone & as often as we can? I would suggest that you go alone. Take every precaution. Stick to maintained forest roads. Learn about how you, your wife and your kids react to being in the wilderness. Find out who you are. Then, when you are ready and by ready, I mean comfortable with yourselves when off grid, like minded people will come to you. The best way to find others is to join a club, have a Toyota? Join your local chapter of the TLCA, a Heep, join a heep club. Now that it is mid October the season is almost over in Colorado. You’ve got all winter to plan & prepare. Then, just go. The freedom in being alone is immeasurable.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
My son and I have been solo traveling for about five years now and have only traveled with 2 groups. Both were great and the people are good. However we have met more people from so many countries and backgrounds traveling with just the two of us. You will find no shortage of companionship in your travels, we all tend to be drawn to each other as soon as we notice the dust on the windshield and mud on the tires.

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

Montgomery, Texas, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I remember those days, we would go to campgrounds and look for other kids and they would get together & have fun playing games or riding bikes. I assume it is pretty tough with a non verbal 5 year old though. Where are you planning to go and when.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

I started traveling solo about 6 years ago. My wife does not come along - she's not the outdoors type. Traveling solo is mostly upside in terms of how, when and where I overland. I'm the type of person who enjoys my own company. Sometimes I change travel plans on a whim and just go - couldn't imagine doing that if I were in a group. When driving, I stop to nap when I get tired and don't need to explain or get permission from anyone.

The thing I have come to appreciate about traveling solo is investing in good gear, tires and proper rig maintenance. When I am alone in remote locations, it's comforting to know my gear and rig are in optimal condition. Water and fuel are other vital necessities. Garmin InReach is a must.

That being said, I do have two buddies with whom I rendezvous in remote locations from time to time. These guys and I met during the last 3 years and it's been terrific synergy. We're all about the same age (late 60s) and never run out of things to discuss. These are wonderful times with good fellas and a worthwhile break from being alone.

Mono-Mon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Maughan
I remember those days, we would go to campgrounds and look for other kids and they would get together & have fun playing games or riding bikes. I assume it is pretty tough with a non verbal 5 year old though. Where are you planning to go and when.
I think our first "big" trip will be mid-summer next year. We plan on doing the Rim Rocker trail from Montrose CO to Moab Utah and then hitting a few level 3 and under trails there since we have never been. I appreciate all of the advice and think I am going to start building up our Sequoia for solo travel in mind. I hadnt thought of how hard it is keeping multiple schedules aligned and accommodating for different driving styles. Im sure how we like to travel would be much different than other families. My son absolutely loves getting out into the middle of nowhere and just exploring. So worst case scenario if the girls dont like it maybe him and I can do a few trips a year together.

Reactions: MOAK

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

Montgomery, Texas, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I think our first "big" trip will be mid-summer next year. We plan on doing the Rim Rocker trail from Montrose CO to Moab Utah and then hitting a few level 3 and under trails there since we have never been. I appreciate all of the advice and think I am going to start building up our Sequoia for solo travel in mind. I hadnt thought of how hard it is keeping multiple schedules aligned and accommodating for different driving styles. Im sure how we like to travel would be much different than other families. My son absolutely loves getting out into the middle of nowhere and just exploring. So worst case scenario if the girls dont like it maybe him and I can do a few trips a year together.
I would say 1 other thing, your kids need contact with others. It may be work, but sometimes we have to do it.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
When we went UT a couple years ago and did the big 5 the wife and daughter did not want to rough it. We split the vacation time with easy trails in the day and hotels at night. We did leave them a couple nights in Moab while we went off and explored. Everyone was happy.

Be sure to take the family see goblin state park very cool rock formations. We also like camping at Mexican Hat.

Mono-Mon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Maughan
I would say 1 other thing, your kids need contact with others. It may be work, but sometimes we have to do it.
Aint that the truth. It takes a lot of effort for other kids to be around my son too. You can tell he loves having kids around him even though he never interacts with them. He just gets super happy and thats how you know he thinks of them as friends. That is one of the big reasons I would eventually like to find other families with kids around his age. Even if they dont interact, he just loves company.

bear_den_overland

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pittsburgh
First Name
Greg
Last Name
StClair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXQ724
Aint that the truth. It takes a lot of effort for other kids to be around my son too. You can tell he loves having kids around him even though he never interacts with them. He just gets super happy and thats how you know he thinks of them as friends. That is one of the big reasons I would eventually like to find other families with kids around his age. Even if they dont interact, he just loves company.
we are headed your way September 6 next year. We travel with a 6 year old.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

My situation was similar to yours, whereas I wanted to meet other people locally who were interested in camping, overlanding and such. I used Overlandbound to look for local events and met several people. After meeting them, I vetted the people I wanted to go out with. My children are grown, but I do not mind having children in camp. We have a great group of 10 families that we go out with regularly. I recommend you watch for local event meetings, communicate with the event sponsor and attend. Sometimes, these events are simply a meet and greet.

Mono-Mon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Maughan
My situation was similar to yours, whereas I wanted to meet other people locally who were interested in camping, overlanding and such. I used Overlandbound to look for local events and met several people. After meeting them, I vetted the people I wanted to go out with. My children are grown, but I do not mind having children in camp. We have a great group of 10 families that we go out with regularly. I recommend you watch for local event meetings, communicate with the event sponsor and attend. Sometimes, these events are simply a meet and greet.
That is something we are starting to do more often. Its a little easier with our two year old daughter but very difficult to do outings with our son. I think we will just have to start getting out more and searching for small communities of families that are up to the challenge of hanging out with other kiddos.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

That is something we are starting to do more often. Its a little easier with our two year old daughter but very difficult to do outings with our son. I think we will just have to start getting out more and searching for small communities of families that are up to the challenge of hanging out with other kiddos.
My Son is a special needs teacher. That is what drew me to this channel. Perhaps start a thread in this channel and connect with others. I love the idea of strong networks. Perhaps this could be a catalyst for others to group up?