LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I'm sure other people may have figured this out, but I was mounting my kayak with a new set of racks I bought for the first time and for some reason while I was road testing theracks before my next trip, the noise was unbearable. I've racked this same kayak on top of this truck before, and on my previous truck, but for some reason with this particular J style rack, the noise was rally loud. It sounded like a giant fly was on top of my truck and it was deafening. I tracked down where the boise was coming from, and the strap that came with the racks was vibrating in the wind and basically turned my kayak into a giant guitar.

I dug around my arage for a solution and I had some extra pool noodles laying around so I cut a piece to length and used a fish tape to get one end of the cam strap through the hole in the pool noodle. I then secured the kayak with this strap but lined up the pool noodle across the part of my kayak where the strap was vibrating in the wind. Then I used the slack to wrap the remaining exposed strap against the pool noodle. I went for a test spin and the noise was almost completely eliminated.

So if you are having issues with a loud kayak on your roof, give this a shot, it might work for you. I left a few pics below.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Sometime you can just twist the strap too. I have my overhead wrapped with rope to do the same.

Reactions: OkieDavid

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
The J's are adjustable on the rack, if you just change the angle of the yak on the roof you would probably solve your problem. I have had it happen with just tying stuff down in the back or on a trailer. It can be annoying.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I knew both of those tricks and tried both numerous times. the twisting made the noise even worse, and I also adjusted the rack at 3 different angles with no success. I think it came down to where that front strap lined up on the hull with this particular rack, but with the distance between the bars that Thule recommended and the way my kayak fit between each J rack it made it so the strap lined up in just the right spot where it was making that crazy noise.

Reactions: eriefisher and MMc