Finally making the jump...

• HTML tutorial

unsung

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NWI
Member #

I was going to wait to get into Overlanding because being in the Midwest there are more limited adventures nearby. We are looking to move to north Idaho to get closer to what is important to us.

However I have an opportunity to get into a 97 Land Cruiser with low miles for a decent price. It does need some work. I had a couple of questions... It doesn't have the lockers, how important is this? I have zero issues with installing aftermarket lockers.

Anything in particular to look for other than the obvious? I don't know much about the 80 series failures or common problems that it has, I know it is generally a tank. My first choice was a new Tacoma, but given that there still is the goal of moving I was going to take this route to save some money.

Thanks!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I don't know much about the 80 series but would love to have one someday. As for lockers, I don't have them because I've never really needed them for the overlanding that I do. I find a winch to be more important to me. That could change someday however. But I don't rock crawl and try to avoid deep mud. Lockers are a great tool to have just in case. But it really depends on what you plan to do with your rig and where you plan to take it.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I personally would prefer to have at least a rear locker. With just a flick of a switch you have the capability to get out of most situation rather easily. Again it all depends on the vehicle and your driving capability.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Just having a selectable rear locker is good insurance. Plus I like to think of my ability to creep over terrain with less
wheelspin as good stewardship.

unsung

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NWI
Member #

Not really necessary to find one with factory lockers though from what I'm finding out.