Finally joined the fridge/freezer club! Costway 54qt

• HTML tutorial

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was able to buy everything off amazon. The post-to-Anderson connectors and battery boxes come in tomorrow but the batteries won’t be here until next week. I’ll post the product list and photos of the setup when I get the batteries. That’s right, I’m adding two instead of one, because why not. Hahaha

Thanks I appreciate it, interested to see the end result. I never thought of doing two I wonder if I could stuff two in a single battery box. Off to amazon I go...

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

Went with a Dometic CFX 75 dual zone...love it The solar is Four 6 volt 120 Ahr deep cycles giving me a total of 480 Ahr. I can run for four days before needing a recharge.View attachment 84014
I would be extremely happy with that setup too! You’ve got more money wrapped up in batteries than I have for my whole system. [emoji23] When I get a trailer, your system is what I want to do. Looks awesome man.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Thank you for posting the quick review of this fridge. I have been eyeing this model, but haven't found many real world reviews. Looking forward to watching your continued use of this unit.

Reactions: KC2BUN

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

Thank you for posting the quick review of this fridge. I have been eyeing this model, but haven't found many real world reviews. Looking forward to watching your continued use of this unit.
I’ll make sure to post updates, as buying a fridge for most of us is a huge deal. So far it’s been working well, however it’s also been colder than normal. I’m trying to figure out a budget slide for it, something like a Drifta kitchen. Using PTFE to let the drawer slide. I’ll post stuff on that too.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Maybe you can help me?The rear handle from the fridge is it removable?Not sure about the space in the jku,i have a dometic slider and a DIY cover box,i need to be sure,this fridge(smaller version) is on my wish list.
View attachment 82518
The floor mount in the cargo area of your JKU, is this DIY as well or did you buy it through a specific company?

Love the look of it by the way!

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
That's nice!

Is that using factory mounting points or did it require drilling into the tub?

Reactions: Reaper_st84

Reaper_st84

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That's nice!

Is that using factory mounting points or did it require drilling into the tub?
No drilling at all,jku is a 2007,done my own brackets using original mounting point and for the rear seat i bought the 60% delete seat bracket and did a DIY floor like goosegear sell.The bracket was the only expensive part of the list.IMG_20181022_160115_674.jpegIMG_20181029_093758.jpegIMG_20181023_205217.jpegIMG_20181019_200240.jpeg

Reactions: darjo242 and KC2BUN

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Reactions: Reaper_st84

TRD T4R

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Gulf Coast AL
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9EJB
So..... Are there any links to some deals on fridges?I have a list of things I want to get and this is one of them. I also have a few questions. How much stuff can the 50 really hold, it will be the wife and 3 dogs going out so water will be needed and food for us,

Reactions: Boort

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

So..... Are there any links to some deals on fridges?I have a list of things I want to get and this is one of them. I also have a few questions. How much stuff can the 50 really hold, it will be the wife and 3 dogs going out so water will be needed and food for us,
I don’t think there are many deals on fridges, this one is pretty low already. My “54qt” can hold an 18 pack of beer on each side of the main compartment and two half gallon containers in the smaller section.

If you need to refrigerate your dog food it would depend on how much you feed them each day. Water? Why would you put water in a fridge? Only perishable items should go in there.

Reactions: NV Badlands

TRD T4R

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Gulf Coast AL
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9EJB
I was thinking a few water bottles, eggs, and other things that need to be refrigerated, Dog food is dry. I have never had a fridge or even seen one to see or compare sizes.

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was thinking a few water bottles, eggs, and other things that need to be refrigerated, Dog food is dry. I have never had a fridge or even seen one to see or compare sizes.
Before buying my fridge I also was very unsure about sizes. Up front I ended up with a 50qt which is likely bigger then I will need in 90% of situations but the price jump from a 35-40 qt to 50 was not that significant so I opted on the side of more room. I found it helpful to use some of the regular coolers I and friends had lying around. Without any ice I could get an idea of how big the interior was.

When determining size this was my order of considerations:

1. Price, its a big purchase but hopefully will last many years. Also look at the prices for different sizes sometimes there is not much of a jump between sizes.
2. What can fit in your vehicle/ where are you going to put it. Mine has ended up staying in there full time just turned off when I'm not using it. And the 50 fit perfectly fine where I wanted it(JKU) so the size jump wasn't a problem.
3. Needs, how are you using it. long weekends, or full week/multi week trips. It is my opinion after using a 50qt that for two adults you could do a long weekend with 30-40qt without much difficulty. You might need to buy smaller condiment sizes and rotate in drinks but you would be fine with minimal pre planning. I did a 3 day two night trip solo and literally just chucked in whatever was in the home fridge with no concern for size. Quart of milk, dozen eggs etc. Now that being said if you have a family or could ever see yourself going on extended trips I would suggest a 50qt for two people and maybe bigger if its a family. I might do a week trip once a year so for that situation I wanted more capacity.

The last thing I will say is once you have it you will use it more then you think. I am a grad student with a wacky schedule. Its great being able to get groceries in the morning before class and not have to worry about them sitting all day. Also if you are traveling to family events, tailgates etc its wonderful to have a mobile fridge.

Vesteroid

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
I am trying to decide what I want to buy. I really want a slide for the back of the 4runner as the fridge will stay in the truck full time.

I can’t decide on brand. I was sort of sold on biting the bullet and getting a national Luna but then I keep coming back to I could get a cheaper brand and a slide for the same or less money. Not a ton of reviews I can find so just not sure what to do.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I am trying to decide what I want to buy. I really want a slide for the back of the 4runner as the fridge will stay in the truck full time.

I can’t decide on brand. I was sort of sold on biting the bullet and getting a national Luna but then I keep coming back to I could get a cheaper brand and a slide for the same or less money. Not a ton of reviews I can find so just not sure what to do.
I was all set going with a National Luna. I went to the Overland Expo East this year and talked with the owner of Hicker Trailers. He said he used them in his builds but keep having issues and change over to Dometic. In 1923, the inventors of the fridge started a company called Arctic. Electrolux, a growing appliance company, saw the potential of von Platen’s and Munter’s invention. In 1925, the company acquires Arctic. Dometic is a division of Electolux.. Given their history, dependability, and price, I went with the Dometic CFX 75. I love the idea I can have ice for my Scotch.

TRD T4R

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Gulf Coast AL
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9EJB
I will say the reason I like the fridge idea so much is the 4 runner came with the sliding tray system from the dealer so that is one expense saved. I have no clue what makes all these brands so special (expensive and inexpensive).