• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
For organizing I use the Plano 1919 Sportsman trunks. I’ve seen a few recent posts where folks used Rigid brand stackable tool boxes from Home Depot. Mainly for camp kitchen stuff. I really like that idea, and am gonna take measurements this weekend to see how they’d fit in my XJ.
I actually use those Plano cases. I use them for everything and probably have a dozen total. I have 1 that is dedicated to tools at the moment that i need to thin down and re-organize so that I can loose some weight and pack more gear in it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Lol I said it had more money into it than I cared to admin, not that it was worth a bunch. It could be worth an alright amount to the right person but selling it to build something else wouldn't really be worth it. Would almost be better to buy a full size SUV or truck that I could tow my Jeep with. I love jeeps and if anything I feel I would need to build a 4 door but that would be way more than I wanna pay. I'm not gunna lie I'm retry cheap when it comes to most things.
I think prudent is a better description and nothing wrong with that. It keeps us out there.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have seen the term "rocklander" get thrown around recently and I feel it defiantly fits what I do with my Jeep. i tend to aim for camp spots down the longest hardest trails I can find. Usually between 10-30 km ( sometimes more) long with no way for others to get to me if I break down so I am used to bringing an arsenal of tools and recovery gear. Obviously I am not going to bring my kid out into somewhere that if something happened I wouldn't be able to get out so I can thin down the gear. thinking a custom roof rack and some "creative" storage solutions can likely get me to where I need for the basics. If I want to get into bringing a table or extra "unnecessary" or "unessential" gear I think I am into needing a trailer.

Reactions: sabjku

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

It's not a "modification" or anything cool, but, my best habit is always analyzing what I pack and how and if I use it. Figuring out things that don't work, take up too much space, are never used etc, is a real space and time saver. My wife and I talk about this during and after each trip we take.

But... my favorite item is the hand pump garden sprayer. it helps with washing and dishes. It amounts to running water...

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
It's not a "modification" or anything cool, but, my best habit is always analyzing what I pack and how and if I use it. Figuring out things that don't work, take up too much space, are never used etc, is a real space and time saver. My wife and I talk about this during and after each trip we take.

But... my favorite item is the hand pump garden sprayer. it helps with washing and dishes. It amounts to running water...
I have one of those in my garage and I have never thought of using it for dishes. kind of an awesome idea really.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Hand pump type is great, for $20+ more you can have a 12v motorized 5 gal. Sprayer ($59) from Northern. Great for showers because when you turn water off, the motor stops pumping. Works the same as a travel trailer sink.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Simple but expensive. I already have a rig that's built to hit the trails with way more money invested in it then I'd care to admit lol. I also have a smaller SUV that I use as my daily because I have a 2 hour commute to work each morning so a larger vehicle isn't in my future.
Looks like I'm going to need to talk the wife into a trailer in the future or start building something.
Check to see if you have any local Military Surplus Markets in your area, I've been checking out the local one here and they have the M146's for under $1500

Reactions: M Rose

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have seen the term "rocklander" get thrown around recently and I feel it defiantly fits what I do with my Jeep. i tend to aim for camp spots down the longest hardest trails I can find. Usually between 10-30 km ( sometimes more) long with no way for others to get to me if I break down so I am used to bringing an arsenal of tools and recovery gear. Obviously I am not going to bring my kid out into somewhere that if something happened I wouldn't be able to get out so I can thin down the gear. thinking a custom roof rack and some "creative" storage solutions can likely get me to where I need for the basics. If I want to get into bringing a table or extra "unnecessary" or "unessential" gear I think I am into needing a trailer.
I noticed Brad of TrailRecon had a shirt on in his most recent video with Rocklander on it. I'm not even sure if I had heard anyone use that term previously, or maybe just never paid attention to it.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I noticed Brad of TrailRecon had a shirt on in his most recent video with Rocklander on it. I'm not even sure if I had heard anyone use that term previously, or maybe just never paid attention to it.
It popped up in an article in the last issue of JP Magazine in one of their Jeep build walk around articles too. I also noticed it in the Trail Recon video.

Reactions: sabjku

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

For organizing I use the Plano 1919 Sportsman trunks. I’ve seen a few recent posts where folks used Rigid brand stackable tool boxes from Home Depot. Mainly for camp kitchen stuff. I really like that idea, and am gonna take measurements this weekend to see how they’d fit in my XJ.
Speaking of Plano boxes...FB_IMG_1578159395846.jpeg

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Check to see if you have any local Military Surplus Markets in your area, I've been checking out the local one here and they have the M146's for under $1500
I haven't checked for any surplus trailers. i have just been checking the used posts. Pretty sure all of the military surplus around here goes through auction that I may look into in the future, and every once in a while I do see a decent trailer pop up for sale I just never have the means to grab it at the time.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have the same 1 bag per person rule....3 to 4 kids and two adults and 2 dogs in the FJ80 makes for tight space
That's a lot to go into an FJ80. looks like you run a pretty full roof rack and a hitch basket to fit it all. I am going to have to do some sort of roof rack on mine but its hard to get stuff up there because the Jeep is tall ... and I am not. I do run a hitch basket at times too and it really lowers the back of the Jeep ( because I have a soft spring set in it for rock crawling and not hauling gear lol) the Jeep may be in for some changes soon. Though it will go anywhere, I am starting to want to show my wife the places that I have found and get my son involved at a young age. Organization is key! and I need to trim the fat out of my gear.

Reactions: 94Cruiser

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hand pump type is great, for $20+ more you can have a 12v motorized 5 gal. Sprayer ($59) from Northern. Great for showers because when you turn water off, the motor stops pumping. Works the same as a travel trailer sink.
good thinking! i'm getting away from the little offroad camp trailer and decking out a camper shell and that is an awesome ideal for a shower.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's a lot to go into an FJ80. looks like you run a pretty full roof rack and a hitch basket to fit it all. I am going to have to do some sort of roof rack on mine but its hard to get stuff up there because the Jeep is tall ... and I am not. I do run a hitch basket at times too and it really lowers the back of the Jeep ( because I have a soft spring set in it for rock crawling and not hauling gear lol) the Jeep may be in for some changes soon. Though it will go anywhere, I am starting to want to show my wife the places that I have found and get my son involved at a young age. Organization is key! and I need to trim the fat out of my gear.
Houston, I have a problem ! Answer: Join the club ! You ever hear the song "I'm never satisfied" well you'll never be satisfied without a rig designed to do a little bit of everything. A happy medium is the hardest rig to build. That's why I have so many different rigs (3), they all have different uses and purposes.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Houston, I have a problem ! Answer: Join the club ! You ever hear the song "I'm never satisfied" well you'll never be satisfied without a rig designed to do a little bit of everything. A happy medium is the hardest rig to build. That's why I have so many different rigs (3), they all have different uses and purposes.
I thought of building a more comfortable "family" rig too to make specifically for longer trips camping in the back country but my wife says I'm only allowed to have one project vehicle and I can't bring myself to sell the rock crawler ... So here I am lol

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I thought of building a more comfortable "family" rig too to make specifically for longer trips camping in the back country but my wife says I'm only allowed to have one project vehicle and I can't bring myself to sell the rock crawler ... So here I am lol
We are in the same boat. Well, we have a boat project as well. I seem to pick the most expensive hobbies.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
We are in the same boat. Well, we have a boat project as well. I seem to pick the most expensive hobbies.
I don't have a "boat" but have gotten into kayak fishing and looking to upgrade my kayak. That and the Jeep, and I cant seem to leave my daily driver alone and always sneak some pats on every once in a while... i know about the expensive hobbies lol.