• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
OK so I have been in the offroad community for a while, and been wheeling for years, but I have always been geared more towards the rock crawling aspect of things. my camping gear is usually closer to what you would find from a backpacker but i am getting older and just had kid and looking to get him into the sport once hes a little older. I keep more tools than camping gear in the jeep for most trips, but i need to be able to put the back seat back in so that I can fit myself, my wife, and my son in the Jeep and still have room to fit our gear.
I was wondering what people have found to be the most useful mods they have built or bought to make the most of the space in their vehicles, useful tools on the trails, or favorite camping equipment.
I drive a 2006 TJ unlimited, dana 44s with 4.88s, e-lockers, 37" cooper STT pros.

Attachments

Last edited:

overpakd

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Sweet jeep!

I'm in a similar situation gearing up for more car camping with family than hammock backpacking. My first mods are rooftop tent and a drawer/grill system. I don't know how much room is behind the seats in a '06 TJ, but there are lots of drawer system builds out there that make really efficient use of space for camping/cooking gear. A roof top tent will let you stow a few less things in the jeep since you can keep your sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, etc. all in the tent (and of course the tent itself).

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Sweet jeep!

I'm in a similar situation gearing up for more car camping with family than hammock backpacking. My first mods are rooftop tent and a drawer/grill system. I don't know how much room is behind the seats in a '06 TJ, but there are lots of drawer system builds out there that make really efficient use of space for camping/cooking gear. A roof top tent will let you stow a few less things in the jeep since you can keep your sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, etc. all in the tent (and of course the tent itself).

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
I do a lot of hammock camping too... by myself. LOL. I don't have the funds fr a roof top tent. there isn't a lot of room in a Jeep. I have been looking into building a roof rack and just picked up a new welder because one downside to jeeps is the lack of roof mounts. been using a hitch basket and borrowed trailers in the past. not sure how much i really like roof top tents either since i have fallen out of them before. the ladders get some dew on them and get pretty slick. I was thinking of basically deleting the rear side windows and mounting storage there so that I could stre tools and trail gear on the sides, then camping and food in the rear or on the rack once i get something built.

Reactions: overpakd

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
The best mod is "seat time". Get out and do it, then adjust as necessary.
I agree. However I have have this jeep for almost 8 years, and bought it stock. Just asking because like I mentioned I have more experience with the rock crawling market than I do the overland market and I would like to hear what people find to be their favourite mods for this application. I have been offroading for a little over 15 years and seat time I have, but creature comforts have never bee a priority until now.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

You are already farther ahead than most. You know how to get where you want to go. The rest is just personal opinion. I find a tree stump to be a wonderful camp chair. Others do not.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
You are already farther ahead than most. You know how to get where you want to go. The rest is just personal opinion. I find a tree stump to be a wonderful camp chair. Others do not.
I suppose. I was trying to get ideas on how to set up the jeep a little better and some handy gear people like. I may look into building some storage solutions for the back, thin down the amount of tools that I bring, and I suppose I need to figure out what my wife feels are necessities. My son is only a couple months old right now so I have lots of time to figure things out.

overpakd

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

I suppose. I was trying to get ideas on how to set up the jeep a little better and some handy gear people like. I may look into building some storage solutions for the back, thin down the amount of tools that I bring, and I suppose I need to figure out what my wife feels are necessities. My son is only a couple months old right now so I have lots of time to figure things out.
I agree on checking with the wife. My wife's primary complaint was sleeping comfort, hence the RTT with a plushier "mattress". If you want to avoid the RTT, you might consider an off-road tear drop style trailer. You can put a full queen mattress in most of those. That was my 2nd choice, but they can be pricey. That would also give you more storage options if you're running low in the jeep.

Reactions: Akuma129

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I agree on checking with the wife. My wife's primary complaint was sleeping comfort, hence the RTT with a plushier "mattress". If you want to avoid the RTT, you might consider an off-road tear drop style trailer. You can put a full queen mattress in most of those. That was my 2nd choice, but they can be pricey. That would also give you more storage options if you're running low in the jeep.
That's one thing my wife doesn't really complain much about. We usually go "back country" camping on crown land with a small tent and some Thermorest sleeping pads and small sleeping bags. can fit both pads, bags, and inflatable pillows in one large backpack if you lean into it hard enough. we have done extended backpacking trips in the past so we have a lot of lighter weight camping gear. The newest challenge is bringing my son, who we plan to get out camping and used to it as soon as we can as it has been a huge part of our lives. I have looked into trailers but at the moment we don't have a whole lot of space to store a trailer in the driveway because I have a few other vehicles that take up space ( my wife's civic and my compass trailhawk).

Attachments

Reactions: overpakd

overpakd

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

That's one thing my wife doesn't really complain much about. We usually go "back country" camping on crown land with a small tent and some Thermorest sleeping pads and small sleeping bags. can fit both pads, bags, and inflatable pillows in one large backpack if you lean into it hard enough. we have done extended backpacking trips in the past so we have a lot of lighter weight camping gear. The newest challenge is bringing my son, who we plan to get out camping and used to it as soon as we can as it has been a huge part of our lives. I have looked into trailers but at the moment we don't have a whole lot of space to store a trailer in the driveway because I have a few other vehicles that take up space ( my wife's civic and my compass trailhawk).
That's awesome. I wish my wife would backpack with me. She kicks my ass in the fitness department, but just isn't into the backpacking life (yet?). I'm hoping my youngest daughter will pick it up with me.

If you don't really need alternative sleeping arrangements, I'd say a drawer system for organizing/securing gear is still among the best first options for you guys.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
That's awesome. I wish my wife would backpack with me. She kicks my ass in the fitness department, but just isn't into the backpacking life (yet?). I'm hoping my youngest daughter will pick it up with me.

If you don't really need alternative sleeping arrangements, I'd say a drawer system for organizing/securing gear is still among the best first options for you guys.
Ya I am definitely going to have to look into a way to keep my gear sorted. I am thinking about basically deleting the rear windows and turning one side into a tool storage cabinet and the other side into recovery and trail gear. That should give me a bunch of extra space in the back and allow me to put the back seat back in . I may be able to put a storage drawer in the back but it may only be about 20" of space behind the seat. I think I may need to have the trailer conversation again. Even if it is a small trailer to haul the extra gear and maybe build a drawer system in that.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I don't know of any aftermarket products for TJ's, but i have seen some JK's with only a half seat installed in the rear.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I don't know of any aftermarket products for TJ's, but i have seen some JK's with only a half seat installed in the rear.
yes that would be an option for some 4 door JKs because they have a 60/40 split seat. 2 door JKs have a similar setup to a TJ with a removable rear bench seat.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
These are my most recent camp setups. solo trips with a hammock and a tarp usually as close to water as I can. I carry most stuff in Plano sportsman cases but looking to cut the fat and gain some room since I have gotten used to not having the back seat in the jeep for the past 8 years.
20180929_081007.jpg61763445_358555555017380_2671901770476683264_n.jpg62131728_336467750582834_1572367856115384320_n.jpg

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Drawers were the MOST VALUABLE mods we've made do far. In the drawers, we keep our camp stove, some cans of food, our condiments, recovery gear, and fire arms.
I used the rear passenger quarter panel to mount a charging center with USB outs for all of our devices, and behind it, I jerryrigged in a ViaAir air compressor.

94 Toyota Land Cruiser

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Drawers were the MOST VALUABLE mods we've made do far. In the drawers, we keep our camp stove, some cans of food, our condiments, recovery gear, and fire arms.
I used the rear passenger quarter panel to mount a charging center with USB outs for all of our devices, and behind it, I jerryrigged in a ViaAir air compressor.

94 Toyota Land Cruiser
I like the idea of drawers, though they would be pretty small in the back especially being behind the seat on the jeep. I have installed 2 usb charging ports in the center of the dash but I always seem to need 1 more for something but there are no plastic interior panels in my jeep other than the dash o mount to. I also run a C02 tank for air but have a smittybilt compressor as a back up that I am going to need to relocate and I am thinking of mounting my tools up along the edge of the jeep to get them out of the cargo area. I wonder how long I could get away with a storage panel in the rear trench before my son needs the foot room lol.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Gears , 4.88.
Lockers, Yukon Grizz front, elocker rear.
Wheels and tires.

Yeah, I know that's $5000, but it's the best beginner mods for me, on every vehicle. You already have that, so you're in good shape.

I use a highlift for winching, I'll get a bumper mounted winch when I need the underseat room back.
Truckclaws take up less space than maxtracks.
I no longer bring a stove or firepit. Others have a firepit, and I cook on a pepsi can stove backpacker style.

All my personal gear must fit into a backpack. Each passenger is allowed one back pack only.

Easiest way to save space and weight with lil jeeps? Share. Only one jeep out of a group of 5 needs a high lift, maxtrax etc. etc. one guy carries that, one guy the fire pit, one guy tools, etc. Jeeps are standard amongst us for a reason.

Replace your starter and alternator. Every tool you just used to do that, wrap up and keep on your jeep. Have the old ones rebuilt, and keep them as spares.

Last edited:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Gears , 4.88.
Lockers, Yukon Grizz front, elocker rear.
Wheels and tires.

Yeah, I know that's $5000, but it's the best beginner mods for me, on every vehicle.
I have 4.88s, e-lockers front and rear, basic procomp aluminum wheels and 37" Cooper stt pro tires. They work great I can pretty much go anywhere. H5Mv4GlA.jpeg

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Unlimited TJ's are my favorite jeeps. Even though I was a yj guy.