Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My 12 JKU is just getting broken in at 213k miles. Mostly highway miles as my wife commuted in it 120-160 miles per day for two years.
That is a heck of a commute. Living in town is not my ideal but I do appreciate the 10 minute commute. Well back when we did that thing called "commute".

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Got the J200 licensed and title transferred after a little gymnastics around the seller signing off the title incorrectly. She was AWESOME and sent the "certificate of fact" to us instantly!
Waiting on J200 parts and service manuals to slowly roll in. Am starting to find some good parts suppliers and have some orders out there.
Should receive parts needed to get the new alternator installed this weekend. Picked up some all thread and steel to fabricate a battery hold down for the J200.

Dad's Gladiator update (earlier this summer)

Installed a M.O.R.E dead pedal to reduce strain on long drives getting to the good places. I like it.
BA27ABD8-C4C5-4E7B-A629-B789EDCCACAA_1_105_c.jpeg

Got dirty with some intrepid OB members
84B05D18-77F2-4358-8CAF-A79EF67DCA2C_1_105_c.jpeg

Installed gas hood struts - love them!
9E1F0CEC-107E-4E66-BC34-D3267FD7655C_1_105_c.jpeg355393B3-38F9-4AB4-B940-E24CFB5BB129_1_105_c.jpeg

Installed a couple M.O.R.E. Hide-a-Steps on the front driver and pax side and @Heidi approves and uses them!
CEA3E523-4E54-405B-82D5-CFC01BFBC262_1_105_c.jpeg9A4AAA9F-4C75-4316-9B7F-FB1A801ACA51_1_105_c.jpeg86F7C3D3-CACC-4C83-9B98-F6930D49548B_1_105_c.jpeg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We got the new new alternator installed last night and I am happy to report that the charging system is now working! I broke the ear off of the first alternator installing it yesterday and Oreiily's warrantied it no questions asked - but I did fill them in and let them know that I broke it and understood if they could not warranty. Very cool!

Got the battery hold down started and almost finished this morning; waiting on paint to dray and then will post some pics. Picked up some gear oil at Oreilly's last night and will be getting messy with that later in the day.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Another dad's Gladiator update (earlier this fall)

Modified the radio's faceplate mounting bracket to get it onto the RAM track on the dashboard
Modified a cheap radio speaker's bracket to get it under the driver's seat. Lucked out and it snaps in authoritatively.
63307C63-4564-46C1-A9CD-0914796B269F_1_105_c.jpegE224AC65-4221-4D60-942F-4F34BBC6B8C7_1_105_c.jpeg

Ran extension cable for the radio's mic up where I like it. Allows me to drape the mic over my leg and into my lap for ease of grabbing.
Moved some wiring around and reorganized the ham shack (under back seat, driver's side)
CED7C998-E0CC-4731-A033-39D667D85009_1_105_c.jpegF4DAD088-A9EA-4B89-89D9-8D684B223F0D_1_105_c.jpeg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Another dad's Gladiator update (earlier this fall)
This marks the end, for now, of dad's upgrades because he now has a J200 to work and spend money on ;) Still looking for a front bumper/brush guard and a winch, but it is getting pretty close to where I want it for now.

Installed a Voswitch eight port electrical switch/relay system to power goodies. So far two buttons are in use - ham shack power and VisionX reverse lights
1D7FA0E4-9D43-4C34-B66F-7200312D4402_1_105_c.jpegA7A24C23-9882-4D45-882A-4CEBE9D60CD2_1_105_c.jpeg

Dropped the windshield to run the Voswitch control cable and cleaned up the ham radio install at the same time
6E976C86-F83B-4C6B-B955-61798EB6F44A_1_105_c.jpeg6FE8D9A0-5675-4656-8CBE-2724AC8FE2DC_1_105_c.jpeg17102565-2422-44CE-8489-DB5D7F6F165E_1_105_c.jpegF7F37B6E-7E2E-4DDE-AEBC-70D18E1D2488_1_105_c.jpeg

Installed a set of VisionX "reverse lights" for the Gladiator. Nice kit!
A2E51C77-C948-48E9-82DA-606EABE01597_1_105_c.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Dad started it all and the boy wanted to follow suit but in a more "classic" way. I have been updating the What Did You Do With Your Rig Today? thread with details on both but figured a build thread would be a better place to chronicle what's going on. Dad's build is in progress but has stalled out to help the boy with his build, errr, restoration.

Dad - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Boy - 1965 Jeep J200 Gladiator

View attachment 178586View attachment 178587
View attachment 178589
Nice older truck and rare in my territory.
With that big bed you should be able to build a good camper from it. Is it 4wd or 2wd ?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Nice older truck and rare in my territory.
With that big bed you should be able to build a good camper from it. Is it 4wd or 2wd ?
4wd but I think the locking hubs are busted; so 2wd for now ;) Working towards dad's declaration of road worthy. Need to work on getting some gear oil in next. Everything is so crusty - PB Blaster is earning its keep!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Totally blew my wad on Black Friday. Method 704 wheels and BFG KM3's 37x 13.5x17, $3000. Clayton Overland Plus 3.5in lift, $2250. Fox 2.0 shocks, $600. Bestop Sunrider Twill, $600. Tazer Mini and front camera, $400. Synergy track bar and steering box support, $250. Bestop targa sunshade, $50. That might do it for awhile, other than re-gearing. I think I got some decent deals on things I was eventually going to buy.
I just today found this thread. I'm behind on all the threads because of a glitch at OB.com.

Oh wow, that's more money than I have in my entire rig. Tell me your secret to finding that much money for your rig improvements. I bit- - like the dickens about spending just $100 at any given time. I gotta save my bucks so I can come wheel with you PNW guys. :-)

• Love

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I just today found this thread. I'm behind on all the threads because of a glitch at OB.com.

Oh wow, that's more money than I have in my entire rig. Tell me your secret to finding that much money for your rig improvements. I bit- - like the dickens about spending just $100 at any given time. I gotta save my bucks so I can come wheel with you PNW guys. :-)
We are waiting for you! Let us know what we can do to get you out here! You need to introduce me to your son :)
I have this wonderful opportunity just for you! For every unit you sell I will get a cut. :) Hahahahaha

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
We are waiting for you! Let us know what we can do to get you out here! You need to introduce me to your son :)
I have this wonderful opportunity just for you! For every unit you sell I will get a cut. :) Hahahahaha
I sent you a PM..

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
So this a three to five part answer to your question @Lanlubber.
A lot has to do with the Corona virus actually.

Money: Over the last 9 or so months Washington State has had some form of restrictions on socializing, meaning bars/restaurants and even family or friend gatherings with restricted numbers or hours. That was a large part of my free time that is now more focused on working overtime as the other option is not feasible.

Idle hands: I'm not one to watch a lot T.V. so a steady stream of parts and mods for the jeep keeps me busy while not working.

Mods: I will probably have this Jeep till after I can't get in it anymore, then mod it so I can again. So the mods are usually researched for months in advance with tons of input from youtube/internet and vetting manufacturers. Yes, I do call almost everyone of them just to get a vibe from them and test their knowledge. With that criteria, waiting for the time to pounce on deals is a no brainer, and you don't have that one night stand feeling after you hit purchase. "What did I just order?"

Capability: This goes with mods of course. My goal is to have a much more capable vehicle than I should ever need. Research and more research. The major components I buy have a lifetime no questions asked warranty ( wheels, gears, lift kit, bumpers/sliders, offroad lights, etc...) from the manufacturer. Take Fuel Wheels for example. They make pretty wheels and all the mall crawlers love them. They don't have a written warranty . Method Racing wheels, which actually cost less in most cases, lifetime structural warranty, and do race, and not to the sales at the mall. As far as tires, BFG(speaking of racing) for me, American made(yes Michelin owned) but I can't imagine how a tire can remain absolutely unscathed (15 psi towing 2000# trailer through every type of terrain.) So with the lifetime warranties and such, you quickly realize if something broke and caused your lifetime to end, how does that work?

Visual: I waited 4 months for my series of wheels to come out in a color I liked. Titanium Gunmetal (talked to the mfg.)

Although it may seem I'm justifying my recent purchase with this lengthy response, I am sorry for the arrogance that the original post was probably viewed as. I'm not just throwing parts at the Jeep because its fun.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Got the J200 licensed and title transferred after a little gymnastics around the seller signing off the title incorrectly. She was AWESOME and sent the "certificate of fact" to us instantly!
Waiting on J200 parts and service manuals to slowly roll in. Am starting to find some good parts suppliers and have some orders out there.
Should receive parts needed to get the new alternator installed this weekend. Picked up some all thread and steel to fabricate a battery hold down for the J200.

Dad's Gladiator update (earlier this summer)

Installed a M.O.R.E dead pedal to reduce strain on long drives getting to the good places. I like it.
View attachment 179126

Got dirty with some intrepid OB members
View attachment 179127

Installed gas hood struts - love them!
View attachment 179129View attachment 179128

Installed a couple M.O.R.E. Hide-a-Steps on the front driver and pax side and @Heidi approves and uses them!
View attachment 179130View attachment 179131View attachment 179132
Red?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Yeah, its spicy just like me :) I don't know, figured I would add to the underlying red theme going on in my JT. Besides it is hidden so I did not care if the color was not awesome. I do like it though! I don't even realize the dead pedal is there until I look down and see my foot comfortably resting on it; my left ankle was getting sore on long trips when I pushed my foot all the way towards the firewall (for hours) and over-extended my ankle.