Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

so we are going in august from nj to glacier, yellowstone, teton and possibly yosemite, I have girls 6-10 typical tacoma roof rack rig we camp in.

I am looking for decent camping spots with amenities if possible and some insight into maybe some less known places.

We have power for a day or so, will be getting a solar set up to charge the group 31 I put in truck, dual zone snowmaster, decked, roadshower, high camper top, blah blah (bromelian_shredder on insta for rig)

I also mtb a ton so any spots that offer cool hiking for kids and some riding for me is a plus, looking to keep it to 3 weeks tops

steve

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Sounds like quite the adventure for you and your girls. Kudos to you for creating this experience for them. Enjoy!

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

If you need/want definite spots you can always count on KOA but the are not the most secluded (mostly familys) but I have been to coupe of REALLY cool ones on the way to CA & The North Rim.

Try downloading a couple of Apps.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Apps:
iOverlander (big following overseas)
Ultimate CG (campground)

You can filter free spots, and there are lots of pictures.

Also, Jackson, WY has some overlanding trails, and also some Class 3 whitewater rafting that would be super fun for you and the kids.

James

Last edited:

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

awesome all sounds good, I think we are gonna do the bucket with kitty litter for emergencies with the girls, thats like the biggest topic these days lol

steve

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@steve dimaggio
so we are going in august from nj to glacier, yellowstone, teton and possibly yosemite, I have girls 6-10 typical tacoma roof rack rig we camp in.
I am looking for decent camping spots with amenities if possible and some insight into maybe some less known places.
I recommend the following:
Teton NP Area:
Lizard Creek Campground - North end of Jackson Lake
Curtis Canyon Campground - Just off FR 30440 great views of Mt Moran. Used to be number of boondocking camp spots further up this road in the Bridger-Teton National Forest
Teton Canyon Campground - West Side of Mt Moran​

Yellowstone NP:
Fox Creek Campground - NFCG just outside the NE entrance of YellowstoneNP Call to confirm softside tents are permitted (May depend on Bear activity)
The Log Cabin Cafe - GREAT BREAKFAST! On the way into Yellowstone from Fox Creek CG. Also has a couple of rustic cabins for rent. Might be a fun change up for the girls. thelogcabincafe.com​

Glacier NP Area:
Swan Lake Campground - Swan Lake is East of Flathead lake and a good darksky site for viewing the stars.
Wayfarers State Park CG - NE corner of Flathead Lake
Kintla Lake CG / Bowman Lake - Follow Inside N. fork road up to some beautiful generally low usage camps.
1) Bug repellent! We lucked into arriving during a particularly hungry hatch of mosquitoes. Great Fishing though.
2) Fillup with gas! in West Glacier, Carry extra even if you don't normally. This is long well maintained Logging road up to these CG's.
3) If possible bring a kayak or canoe for more exploring on either lake.
4) Visit Polebridge Mercantile, they were out of bug spray but served up a great loaf of home baked bread and ice cream for the ride out.​

Not sure how you plan to get from TNP/YNP/GNP over to Yosemite. Consider some of the following depending on how you go:
Crater Lake National Park
Lava Beds National Monument
Black Rock Desert - Emigrant Trails NCA
Mono Lake Tufa State Natural Reserve -
Highly recommend getting Breakfast at Latte Da Coffee Café, and any meal at Epic Cafe! Both offer some of the best food I've had. Last Oct we spent a few nights at the Mono Vista RV Park clean and hot showers included in nightly rate.​
Maple Grove Campground or Maple Hollow Campground in UT - great night spot if taking I70 home from Yosemite
Cathedral Valley Campground in Capitol Reef NP. - Enter from the NW to avoid the SE entrance Hartnet River Ford unless you have breathers installed. Level should be low come Aug but call ahead to confirm.
Arches & Canyonlands NP - Utah jewels!
Palisade Co - Stop and pick up peaches and other in season fruit!
Rocky Mtn. NP - I could fill a post 2x this size with info just on RMNP Let me know if you want more info.
See also some other threads I've posted:
Regards,
Boort

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I've done a similar trip twice now with the family starting in IL and making a loop out and back. The thing I've learned is that the national forests surrounding the parks are often far better camp spots. Less people, less noise, usually just a bit further to get where you need to go.

I've never gone out with reserved spots, I like to keep an open schedule with a general idea of when and where we'll be. If you're not that kind of person I suggest figuring things out now cause the reservable spots go quick.

The one app/service I haven't seen mentioned is Roadtrippers. It's not comprehensive but it'll give you a good route by connecting the sights you want to see.

Most of all, have fun and create some awesome memories for your kids. My son is 11 and still talks about our road trips.

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

I've done a similar trip twice now with the family starting in IL and making a loop out and back. The thing I've learned is that the national forests surrounding the parks are often far better camp spots. Less people, less noise, usually just a bit further to get where you need to go.

I've never gone out with reserved spots, I like to keep an open schedule with a general idea of when and where we'll be. If you're not that kind of person I suggest figuring things out now cause the reservable spots go quick.

The one app/service I haven't seen mentioned is Roadtrippers. It's not comprehensive but it'll give you a good route by connecting the sights you want to see.

Most of all, have fun and create some awesome memories for your kids. My son is 11 and still talks about our road trips.
thanks man, we have been slowly going out for longer weekends, further away, tweaking the gear ect.

We have a 3 day weekend next week and then a 3 day thing on portsmouth, nc island. Funny the kids love the bucket for the bathroom, anyways, yes I will need to start seriously looking at booking our spots, but I do want to play it a little loose at least

steve