Family Overlanding Advice

• HTML tutorial

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Ok, we are making the move, giving it a shot. As a family we have RV camped forever, we have a 28’ Class C and we love it. I have been camping out of tents and the back of my jeep for a few years now, doing “dad’s getaway weekends” and I have fallen in love with backcountry camping on crown land. I want to take my family and try it but admit we are a bit soft…. Having a toilet, shower, furnace, and comfortable bed are very nice things to have.

This year I am getting my hands on an RTT, and our summer is going to be spent in the backwoods…. I hope J we are leaving the RV at home and car camping, trying to get more travel in than we would normally do. I want to take a less is more attitude but do want everyone to be happy, I think a good experience could swing everyone over to my side of the camp… a bad experience could also make sure we never leave the RV at home again.

What advice do you have for a newish family getting into this, how can I keep everyone happy and comfortable? What are the secret tricks that you have learned over time that will make life a lot easier for a newbie?

Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I am right in the same place. Will be following along.

We have a travel trailer and we camp every weekend from April to October.

The kids and wife love being outdoors, but bugs and bad weather make them very happy to have the camper.

I found dispersed camping about the same distance from us as our favorite state park.

I had the family atleast showing interest in tent camping.

Only 2 issues so far...A. my wife saw the ones that can support our camper, and 2 she wants to set up in one spot and stay.

Neither one is a show stopper...but I was hoping to 1. Use a tent and 2. Make believe we are heading somewhere and drive to a secluded site, camp, wake up and explore heading to another secluded sight.

But...I agree, the experience in the tent is going to have to be stellar...or I will be able to dispersed camp...but only with the camper.

Reactions: Robbie G

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The Bride insists on accommodations with flushing toilets and showers at least every third day.

It might be wise to start off with trips that make it easy to adopt a "Plan B" in the event things don't go smoothly. Things like a torrential downpour that soaks all your gear for instance.

Things to keep meal prep and cleanup simple could also be worthwhile. I have found that pre-cooked meals, frozen and sealed in vacuum pouches are easily reheated with just a bit of hot water, and then that hot water becomes the dish water (everybody seems to prefer washing dishes with warm water).

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

For a first successful experience.. weather is important, and don't forget home essentials. Make a fire and proper old school cooking on the fire.. that is always fun and involves all the family.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Ok, we are making the move, giving it a shot. As a family we have RV camped forever, we have a 28’ Class C and we love it. I have been camping out of tents and the back of my jeep for a few years now, doing “dad’s getaway weekends” and I have fallen in love with backcountry camping on crown land. I want to take my family and try it but admit we are a bit soft…. Having a toilet, shower, furnace, and comfortable bed are very nice things to have.

This year I am getting my hands on an RTT, and our summer is going to be spent in the backwoods…. I hope J we are leaving the RV at home and car camping, trying to get more travel in than we would normally do. I want to take a less is more attitude but do want everyone to be happy, I think a good experience could swing everyone over to my side of the camp… a bad experience could also make sure we never leave the RV at home again.

What advice do you have for a newish family getting into this, how can I keep everyone happy and comfortable? What are the secret tricks that you have learned over time that will make life a lot easier for a newbie?

Thanks for your help!!

Start it slow if taking the whole family backcountry and they've never been. Do just a night or two and enlist their help in suggestions of "What went well?" and "What could've been better?" so you know what to address before going on a longer adventure.

Seriously. Don't ask what they did not like or what they hated. Frame it all in positive tones and encourage them to be part of the solution to helping everyone have a better, more comfortable, time. Encourage the family to work together as a unit.

You haven't indicated how many in the fam, or what ages, etc. I'd have a family meeting before hand and ask what they're imagining, expectations, concerns, etc. Then as a family address them.

Delegate tasks in camp, too. I've always found that having kids round up kindling and wood for fires is a huge hit. Teach them about gathering the right sizes for each task in starting fires:

- Enlist their help in planning a menu before you go. Let each kid be in charge of choosing a meal, or a meal each day, however it works for however many you have.
- Have them help in bagging up trail mix ahead of time, or writing out how to make tuna fish salad, or whatever they're into.
- Get each one of them an inexpensive day pack. Different color for each person. I have four of these, only 19.99, and keep one for canoeing, one for day hikes, one for shopping, etc. Let everyone know their backpack is their responsibility and that's where they are to keep their stuff. Not laying all around camp or the vehicle.
- For the car rides, keep a folder full of copy paper and a cookie sheet (you know, metal trays you make cookies on) for each kid and a mess of pens, pencils, and markers. The raised lid of the the cookie sheet keeps the art tools from rolling off. Keeps kids busy for hours.
- Books on tape, like Neil Gaiman stuff. Perfect for long car rides. Have them draw what they hear with the paper and pencils from the above tip.

- See who wants to be in charge of safety and learning what first aid items should be brought along. Anyone old enough to learn basic first aid about minor cuts, stings, rashes? Put them in charge of carrying first aid for that sort of thing.
- Plant and leaves ID is always a hit, too. Get a couple good field guides. Make a game of collecting things and ID'ing things you should not collect.
- Teach them Leave No Trace principles
- Give each person a small trash bag to collect refuse on hikes or walks around camp

There is a TON of stuff to learn back country.
- Look at scout books for ideas.
- Learn how to make your own glow lanterns from cyalume sticks. TIP: get some twinkle dust in pkgs (you can see diff color pkgs in the pic below) to add to the lanterns for sparkly effect.

I could go on at length, here, but you get the idea.

I've found over the years if you keep a family busy with interesting things, they'll endure a lot more with a smile, eat better, and sleep well.

buglites_3983-900.jpg
buglites_4001-900.jpg

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome thoughts @Road

We incorporate geocaching and orienteering into our days.

We have some papers printed out. One is bingo and one is a scavenger hunt. They are both about the same except bingo is a team effort and the scavenger hunt is winner takes all.

With bingo we travel as a group...and when you see one of the images...a rock, a squirrel, a bird, a leaf, etc...you mark it and the first to line up bingo wins.

The scavenger hunt is the same. We have them take pictures so they do not disturb the wildlife vegetation. The one with the most in a set time wins.

I have been setting up our own orienteering courses with natural objects location shown on the map. They have to follow the bearings to find them.

We also do the public ones if they are in the area we are.

We also do a deal where we look for water falls. We also Like to explore for firetowers.

And the fire and all its preparation is definitely their favorite thing to help with.

CHAURY08

Rank 0

Contributor II

EVANSVILLE, IN
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Haury
Member #

Some great info. I have a 4 and 5 year old we have been on 3 trips but I am still new to this as well. This makes me realize I need to start involving them more. So far they love camping but we have only gone for a night or two. For me to start planning longer trips I will need to find more for them to keep them busy and off their tablets. I want them to be able to appreciate nature for what it is.

Reactions: Road and DevilDodge

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

This has all be very good info, thanks for everything everyone! I am pretty excited to get out and about, now i just need it to warm up.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
20200223_210252.jpg

We spent 5hrs exploring yesterday. 50 miles completely off pavement.

My son decided he would write down the interesting things he found.

I wish I would have taken more pics.

The firetower
20200223_162726.jpg

The sparkle rock
20200223_151048.jpg

Wish I would have got a pic of the alligator rock. It really looked like an alligator head.

He said he will be taking a notebook next time...he wants to discover more things.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We did a bit of orienteering too. I walked up the trail found something interesting. Marked the course on the map gave him the compass and he found it.

We were trying to find a few things (campsites, firetower) but I also notice a few geocache in the area. That will be on the list as well, for next time.

Reactions: M Rose

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

These are all some very good tips I will start to incorporate into my family camp trips as well. Having a family of 9 (including my sister and her 3) we have varying ages from 2-13. Getting something for all of them to participate in activities other than just hiking is a great idea.

As far as creature comforts the #1 on my wife and sisters list is having a clean private place to use the restroom. So i made sure to have a good portable toilet as well as a good privacy shelter for them to do their business.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Start it slow if taking the whole family backcountry and they've never been. Do just a night or two and enlist their help in suggestions of "What went well?" and "What could've been better?" so you know what to address before going on a longer adventure.

Seriously. Don't ask what they did not like or what they hated. Frame it all in positive tones and encourage them to be part of the solution to helping everyone have a better, more comfortable, time. Encourage the family to work together as a unit.

You haven't indicated how many in the fam, or what ages, etc. I'd have a family meeting before hand and ask what they're imagining, expectations, concerns, etc. Then as a family address them.

Delegate tasks in camp, too. I've always found that having kids round up kindling and wood for fires is a huge hit. Teach them about gathering the right sizes for each task in starting fires:

- Enlist their help in planning a menu before you go. Let each kid be in charge of choosing a meal, or a meal each day, however it works for however many you have.
- Have them help in bagging up trail mix ahead of time, or writing out how to make tuna fish salad, or whatever they're into.
- Get each one of them an inexpensive day pack. Different color for each person. I have four of these, only 19.99, and keep one for canoeing, one for day hikes, one for shopping, etc. Let everyone know their backpack is their responsibility and that's where they are to keep their stuff. Not laying all around camp or the vehicle.
- For the car rides, keep a folder full of copy paper and a cookie sheet (you know, metal trays you make cookies on) for each kid and a mess of pens, pencils, and markers. The raised lid of the the cookie sheet keeps the art tools from rolling off. Keeps kids busy for hours.
- Books on tape, like Neil Gaiman stuff. Perfect for long car rides. Have them draw what they hear with the paper and pencils from the above tip.

- See who wants to be in charge of safety and learning what first aid items should be brought along. Anyone old enough to learn basic first aid about minor cuts, stings, rashes? Put them in charge of carrying first aid for that sort of thing.
- Plant and leaves ID is always a hit, too. Get a couple good field guides. Make a game of collecting things and ID'ing things you should not collect.
- Teach them Leave No Trace principles
- Give each person a small trash bag to collect refuse on hikes or walks around camp

There is a TON of stuff to learn back country.
- Look at scout books for ideas.
- Learn how to make your own glow lanterns from cyalume sticks. TIP: get some twinkle dust in pkgs (you can see diff color pkgs in the pic below) to add to the lanterns for sparkly effect.

I could go on at length, here, but you get the idea.

I've found over the years if you keep a family busy with interesting things, they'll endure a lot more with a smile, eat better, and sleep well.

View attachment 141148
View attachment 141149

I added a few more tips for car rides to my above post. Cookie trays and books on tape.

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I know others mentioned it, but I would echo that I believe it’s important to include the kids in the planning process. I think it makes my own kids feel like it’s their trip too; not just something mom and dad are making them do.

Depending on the age of your kids and how picky they are, meals can be big make-or-break. Not only do I include my kids in meal planning, if I plan to cook a new dish, we’ll try it at home before our trip be sure it’s something my kids will eat. A sure way to zap the fun from a trip is having a hungry kid that refuses to eat the only available cooked meal.

Depending on the area we’ll be camping, I sometimes enjoy reading up on the history of the area before our trip. Once in the area I will share some of the information with my kids. It allows my kids and I both to learn new information and it often times captivates their imagination. Lastly, Star-gazing is a great nighttime activity that my 9 year old daughter really enjoys. There are plenty of apps that help locate constellations and specific stars in the sky.

I’m glad you posted because it allowed me to see great ideas from other people. Best of luck.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I hope J we are leaving the RV at home and car camping, trying to get more travel in than we would normally do
I'm sure you will. Plan trips which include hiking, nature, a few guided trips. Overlanding leaves the campground behind. For a family try and leave the road behind. There are some wonderful experiences for kids when you involve guides. Here we are in high alpine looking for fossil tracks, triobite tracks, 30M years old, above Lake O'Hara, 9000', with a mountain guide, geologist.

Involve parks services in your travels, your kids will love it.

scan0131.jpg

same trip

scan0126.jpg

and where we spent 2 nites, 8 miles from the car. loved the rainbow

scan0120.jpg

the hut has 1 bed, 20' wide, everyone sleeps in their sleeping bag nestled to the other 12 people on the bunk
very Canadian, very Hans Moser who built the hut

Involve books for the kids, here are 3 great ones

hans-gmoser-book.jpg

this one I read in grade school
nothing gives kids better direction than reading
no time better to read than camping
travel with books, lots of them

2518259._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpeg

another, I read this in elementry school

13026.jpg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The Bride insists on accommodations with flushing toilets and showers at least every third day.
In 40 years of camping, including family, we never had a mobile toilet, we always found facilities and ate to reduce the need. Showers, are often available for a few bucks without actually checking into the campground, toilets are in every restaurant, gas station, convenience store, just spend a few bucks and support the business. Road side pull outs always have better outhouses than any RV.

DSCN1333.jpg

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

I'm sure you will. Plan trips which include hiking, nature, a few guided trips. Overlanding leaves the campground behind. For a family try and leave the road behind. There are some wonderful experiences for kids when you involve guides. Here we are in high alpine looking for fossil tracks, triobite tracks, 30M years old, above Lake O'Hara, 9000', with a mountain guide, geologist.

Involve parks services in your travels, your kids will love it.

View attachment 141929

same trip

View attachment 141930

and where we spent 2 nites, 8 miles from the car. loved the rainbow

View attachment 141931

the hut has 1 bed, 20' wide, everyone sleeps in their sleeping bag nestled to the other 12 people on the bunk
very Canadian, very Hans Moser who built the hut

Involve books for the kids, here are 3 great ones

View attachment 141932

this one I read in grade school
nothing gives kids better direction than reading
no time better to read than camping
travel with books, lots of them

View attachment 141933

another, I read this in elementry school

View attachment 141935
Thanks, Billiebob! I already read with my son, he's only 3 so it's more like "Little Critter Goes Camping" but I am going to chase down some of those books!

Reactions: Rctonnie

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I want to take my family and try it but admit we are a bit soft…. Having a toilet, shower, furnace, and comfortable bed are very nice things to have.
My Off Grid has everything you mention other than a toilet. But like most teardrops it only sleeps 2 inside. RTT on top you can pack more in.

I would suggest renting something before buying and finding out the family is not on board.

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

My Off Grid has everything you mention other than a toilet. But like most teardrops it only sleeps 2 inside. RTT on top you can pack more in.

I would suggest renting something before buying and finding out the family is not on board.
Thanks for the idea!!

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Water comfort. Only it and that's it.

Everything else depends how one raised a kid and compromise a women. But if You won't deliver warm water, toilet, shower possibility and good cooking Your wife will never feel good at travel even if she sais so.

Thus focus on some good webasto, big (best in-built) water tank and independent kitchen stove (eficient and reriable). Most of Overlanding takes place outside, but if there if lousy wheather You must secure warm water inside a vehicle with proper level of dignity.

It's not so easy thema at all....

Reactions: grubworm