Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
No BC Government trucks carry them anymore. Several US States also have parked them in the dump.
Driven by Workers Compensation Claims. Flat out, the HiLift Jack is a dinosaur.
Too dangerous for industry to use.
Damn, someone always messing with my tools. I mostly use mine to pull fence post out of the ground anyway.
I guess that sorta logging fences ! :-)

Question: I'm not familiar with the logging industry. What would they use a high lift jack for anyway ? I know every trade has it's tricks
that no one else knows about. I know you better know what your doing when you use one to jack up stuck vehicles or tire changing or some repair work. I've been told you can use them like a winch horizontally. Again it's one of those tools that are dangerous, but isn't every tool dangerous in some way ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Damn, someone always messing with my tools. I mostly use mine to pull fence post out of the ground anyway.

Question: I'm not familiar with the logging industry. What would they use a high lift jack for anyway ? I know every trade has it's tricks
that no one else knows about. I know you better know what your doing when you use one to jack up stuck vehicles or tire changing or some repair work. I've been told you can use them like a winch horizontally. Again it's one of those tools that are dangerous, but isn't every tool dangerous in some way ?
Read Handyman Jack 101 uses...

I see that the FS here still has their jacks mounted on their trucks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Where do I find that book ?
It’s not a book.. rather a magazine article...
I can’t seem to find the article, but I will keep looking, in the mean time, here are a couple of other good ones I have read on the subject.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I can’t seem to find the article, but I will keep looking, in the mean time, here are a couple of other good ones I have read on the subject.
Thank you, good news, I didn't learn anything I didn't already know except how to use it like a come along. I couldn't physically do that anyway, but it good to know it's possible if you have the right gear.

Reactions: M Rose

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Where do I find that book ?
This is good reading

Reactions: M Rose

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Tools aren't dangerous at all. The dangerous aspect is the person and how they use the tools. If they're used incorrectly, poorly maintained or used whilst trying to cut corners then that's where accidents occur.

STRUWELJÄMP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LUXEMBOURG
First Name
Josy
Last Name
WAX
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Hi, if it is only one tree and the situation makes it possible i winch or cut the tree away.
If there are a few trees over the road i try to find a bypass or i turn around and take an other way to get to my targeted point on the map.
Cutting trees is not always that easy you need to know where the tension is and adopt the place where you do your cut.

Greetings from Luxembourg and always stay safe.

Reactions: Dusther210

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I carry a Stihl MS 361 with a 24" bar when im on the trail. We get trees across the road all the time in BC. Usually suspended off the ground on some one lane wide backcountry trail. Typically i just buck the high side and then the low side and drive over it if its small enough. Otherwise ill do half a dozen wraps around it with a chain. Buck it. Then attach the chain to the bumper and roll the log out of the way.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I carry a Sawzall with pruning blades, If the tree is 12" or less I will cut it up and pull it out of the way. Any larger and I will turn around.
I started doing this as well. The Sawsall is quite quick at getting fallen debris out of the way and I only break out the chainsaw (that runs on the same batteries) for the larger stuff.

Reactions: grubworm

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I use an old craftsman 2.0 chainsaw for removing trees across the road. I also have a winch and an axe to help too. Remember bar oil lol if your using a chain saw. I seem to keep forgetting to put the cap back on the bar oil on the saw, so I usually make a mess on myself picking the saw back up lol.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So living in logging country, carrying a Husky 444, entering the new age, I've done LOTS of consideration to go electric, But ultimately range anxiety really does kick in. I can refuel my Husky for days with a 5 gallon gas can. But when I need a chainsaw, there is not going to be a plug in. So fallen trees on the trail NEED a gas job.

DSC_0112.jpeg

DSC_0113.jpeg

The standard wood stove length is 16" so I mark and cut ar 32". and stack the wood beside the trail. Somtimes I return to collect my bootie but if not.... I know someone else will.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use an old craftsman 2.0 chainsaw for removing trees across the road. I also have a winch and an axe to help too. Remember bar oil lol if your using a chain saw. I seem to
keep forgetting to put the cap back on the bar oil on the saw, so I usually make a mess on myself picking the saw back up lol.
I just spray lube the bar/chain every other cut. But my saw has a pretty low chain speed too. I've found that no matter what saw I use the bar oil reservoir always winds up leaking all over stuff in the back of the Jeep so I figured it wasn't worth it and I'd just spray lube it.

Reactions: Jaytperry89

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Just before our 2 week trip to the North end of Vancouver Island I finally made a storage box for my little 16” 35 year old Poulan chainsaw. It includes a small bottle of premixed gas, some 2 stroke oil to mix more and some bar oil. Thank goodness I finally took it!!! We found ourselves part way down a very narrow trail and confronted by an 18” log right across it. I was able to make two cuts just wider than the truck and winch the heavy section to a point where we could roll it off the trail. Needless to say the chainsaw will now be a permanent part of our kit!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

After many years of doing it the old way (axe, hand saw and a sometimes working pouland 2 stroke chainsaw) I've finally given in to the electric saw idea.
I ordered a worx 40v Powershare 12" chainsaw, not necessarily for overlanding but for some trees I need to down on my property and I don't feel like wearing myself out doing it.
I've had a worx weedeater for about 5 years now and that thing will do 20 min of serious weed whacking per battery.
The 40v powershare chain saw uses 2x 20v batteries and come with 2 so I will have 4 batteries I reckon I should get around 30min of cut time per 2 batteries so atleast an hour of cut time total.
The batteries take 4hrs to fully charge which isn't to bad I'll have to see when it arrives what it will actually do but my experience with worx products so far have impressed me.