Fall foliage, vistas and 4x4 High Clearance trails. An easy route in Bald Eagle State Forest and nearby Rothrock SF

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We got there around 8am and left BESF around 2pm. It was raining on/off and while the fog made it very hard to enjoy the vistas it made it a pretty eerie experience - very appropriate for Halloween

This was Penns View.
Glad I didnt venture out...but I am in desperste need of dirt on the tires and forest around me.

Thanks for the pic. It also sucks...because we are supposed to be able to see the northern lights tonight...but not with these skies.

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

I’m planning this area for 2 weeks. When we say HC, what are we saying in terms of clearance? Stock taco? We will have a full sized truck and the aforementioned stock-ish truck. The google maps of the SP says that the trails are pretty narrow but I saw someone say its full-size acceptable. Is that with or without pain? Ha ha

Hopefully we will run into a veteran wheeler from the area that wont mind a few tag alongs.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I’m planning this area for 2 weeks. When we say HC, what are we saying in terms of clearance? Stock taco? We will have a full sized truck and the aforementioned stock-ish truck. The google maps of the SP says that the trails are pretty narrow but I saw someone say its full-size acceptable. Is that with or without pain? Ha ha

Hopefully we will run into a veteran wheeler from the area that wont mind a few tag alongs.
Which state forest?

Rothrock is perfectly fine for both mentioned trucks. Very few trails are overgrown here. I have been on nearly every road with my RAM HeftyDuty.

Bald Eagle is much more overgrown. All but a few trails are stock rig friendly. A few trails require a bit more clearance and larger tires, but again...i have been on 90 percent of the trails in BESF with my RAM HeftyDuty on stock 33 inch tires and have only had some pinstriping(but I do not care)

I have threads here for both that show pictures of the trails for reference.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

Which state forest?

Rothrock is perfectly fine for both mentioned trucks. Very few trails are overgrown here. I have been on nearly every road with my RAM HeftyDuty.

Bald Eagle is much more overgrown. All but a few trails are stock rig friendly. A few trails require a bit more clearance and larger tires, but again...i have been on 90 percent of the trails in BESF with my RAM HeftyDuty on stock 33 inch tires and have only had some pinstriping(but I do not care)

I have threads here for both that show pictures of the trails for reference.
Sorry I was referring to BESF but Roth rock sounds like a better option for the Toyota, it is pretty new as is the driver