Fall 2017 Puppy Dog Trail Foliage Run (Vermont)

• HTML tutorial

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I saw a write up by @TGF on his weekend run of the Vermont Puppy Dog Trail here: Vermont Puppy Dog Trail and while perusing the pictures I kept thinking to myself, "This would be beautiful in the fall. So, VIOLA. I give you the Fall 2017 Puppy Dog Trail Foliage Run. Date to be determined (tough to know when peak will be yet). I think this could be a great weekend run with one night of camping. How many of you are interested? Who has more info on the route and places to camp along the way?

Thanks @TGF for the info you have supplied in your thread.

Reactions: JUSTinCASE

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

This looks amazing and perfect for a "light-Duty" overlander like my lifted XC70. Really into this idea. I've been dying to explore some of he trails and class IV roads in VT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Depend on date, I will be interested. Normally, I usually do a run to NH or VT as leaf peeker.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

I am definitely interested and would be happy to help organize.

Regarding the best time to do it, because we'd be running North and South and over a variety of elevations, the "peak" will vary along the route (see http://www.vermont.com/foliage.cfm). Do you think we may have better luck with the organization if we try to pick a weekend and perhaps an alternate so that people hold the date? I know I can't to Columbus Day weekend, but otherwise it should be doable in the late Sept-mid-Oct frame.

Reactions: MA_Trooper

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I am definitely interested and would be happy to help organize.

Regarding the best time to do it, because we'd be running North and South and over a variety of elevations, the "peak" will vary along the route (see http://www.vermont.com/foliage.cfm). Do you think we may have better luck with the organization if we try to pick a weekend and perhaps an alternate so that people hold the date? I know I can't to Columbus Day weekend, but otherwise it should be doable in the late Sept-mid-Oct frame.
The alternate date idea is pretty good. I'll do some research tonight and come up with a couple options.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

FYI, overland ExPo east coast is happening from sept 29 to Oct 1. If possible avoid that weekend.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ok, I'm kind of thinking of September 16-17 as the planned run with a contingency date of October 14-15. It's tough because of Expo and VT overland Rally being Sept 29. I want to give some space so folks aren't stacking trips up. What do you think?

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I really want to try and do this after looking at some more pics of this trail. As of now, those dates are open for me. Just a question of whether I can have my folks watch the kids, otherwise they come with.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I really want to try and do this after looking at some more pics of this trail. As of now, those dates are open for me. Just a question of whether I can have my folks watch the kids, otherwise they come with.

I will most likely have my 1 yo with me.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I will most likely have my 1 yo with me.
Awesome. I will have my 2 + 4 year old boys in tow if I can't get coverage. We just did our "longest" trip yet--3 days 2 nights in Bald Eagle State Forest--and they are getting better every time.

This should be fun either way!

Chris W

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Simsbury, CT
Member #

September 16-17 is going to be pretty early for foliage. You won't have much if any in southern Vermont at that point.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

September 16-17 is going to be pretty early for foliage. You won't have much if any in southern Vermont at that point.
It's hard to gauge at this point when and where the foliage will be. The bulk of the trip will be in northern Vermont. The fact that we are starting south and heading north should mean we hit some foliage. We could do it in October but that could be late for much of Vermont. Like I said, it's hard to tell at this point. The other option is to just post the route and so folks who aren't going to EXPO East can go do it if they want. But that 3 week period surrounding Expo is book solid for me so I won't be able to make that.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What have I been doing over the last few days? Putting together a route for the first (hopefully annual) East Region Fall Weekend Run (there will hopefully be one every year in a different part of the region). Due to some unforeseen issues, some strange planning, and some other fun things, this trip will still happen but will need to be planned for October. Hopefully there will be some foliage but either way, it will be a good, relaxed pace, weekend trip open to all skill levels (mostly dirt roads with some semi-challenging sections depending on weather). I'll post a link to the event page/forum thread when it is created.

Reactions: Chris W