Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Hey guys. I've posted on here before asking about the pros and cons of the Rubicon vs. TRD 4Runners, for my girlfriend. But I have a full sized F350 Powerstroke, that I use for work and road trips. I love it to death. But I have gotten away from really needing its towing ability. And I have been kicking around the idea of possible trading it in on a Ford Raptor. Since I still need a truck but the capabilities of the raptor stock are pretty remarkable, with the travel in the Suspension, the locker, the power, etc. I'm just wondering what you all think? Also I'm out here in KY where my truck is to big for almost all of the trails without getting some serious trail rash. I saw a fellow members post on Instagram, forgive me I forgot their name, he's down in Mexico in his 4Runner with some raptors and he is very impressed with them. All input is appreciated.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I don't think the Raptor will feel any smaller in the width department. I wouldn't trade my 14 FX4 for anything but a new Raptor, but I don't think it would be any better on a trail except for the suspension.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Raptor isn't good for tight trails or crawling. If you lived in SoCal I'd so go for it. That's a perfect place for it. Baja is also another place where it's in it's element. If you're just getting it as a DD, do it.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Raptors shine in the desert, balls out, full tilt no holds barred throttle time.

Tight wooded trails, not so much. They have the turning radius of a greyhound bus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Clint1911

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have never owned a Raptor, but I have seen them trying to negotiate trails at some of our local off road parks. Width was their limiting factor. The Raptor is so wide, it was challenged doing many of the trails. Not personal experience, just an observation.

haggishunter

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
I have the 2013 Rap 1st gen and I am fortunate enough to be 1 hour from desert. This trucks luvs wide open sand. I have lost many an opportunity to travel with groups due to width and have plenty of pinstripping. So asked if I would do it again I'd be first in line they are just to much fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I will be towing with it and I am looking at the '13-'14 with the 6.2L. I didn't realize they were that wide. Thanks for all the input!

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I will be towing with it and I am looking at the '13-'14 with the 6.2L. I didn't realize they were that wide. Thanks for all the input!
The suspension is very soft so if your going to tow you may need to add some helper bags in the rear to keep you level. as it is the 6.2l gets around 10mpg if your lucky... towing your going to get around 7-9mpg.

Its a purpose built rig meant to go fast in the desert. it can do well overlanding but honestly a FX4 f150 can do the same since they come with locking differentials from the factory and it wont be as wide.

If it were me... save the cash and get a fx4 f150 and put some money into some Icon mid travel suspension for it and it will perform really good... not to mention youll be getting at least 5mpg more. I average 15mpg when I'm completely loaded down and when i was towing our 18ft toy hauler fully loaded up i was getting 12mpg. Stock configuration i was getting around 18-20mpg mixed. this is with a 2012 5.0L

hope that info helps

-Raul

Reactions: OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Yup, the tow capacity is disappointing. How much weight will you be pulling?

My friend Gus just upgraded from his 1st gen to a second gen. Tows a 23ft Airstream.

Used bags on both of his Raptors. Otherwise it sags. The 23fter isn't that heavy.

We seriously considered a Raptor to replace our 1500 before we bought the Power Wagon. I just love the looks of these trucks. And Gus was selling me hard. But the more I looked at how we use our truck the more it wouldn't work.

We tow a 27ft Airstream and it was just too much weight for the Raptor. 960lbs of tongue weight, plus 4 people in the truck.... Just wouldn't work on paper.

But man, such a great looking truck.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Thank you all for your input! I'm still up in the air about what I am getting. To change the topic a bit I found a really clean 01 4Runner with 108k miles completely stock. For a really good price so I might be moving in on it.