F-150 Powerboost Hybrid as an overlanding platform?

• HTML tutorial

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Let me start by saying I do not care to talk about hybrids in general. Nor do I care about the electric car they show in this video:

But thanks to that video, I learned that the Powerboost system can produce 7.2kW and 240V of power. This thing could run a fridge, microwave, induction cook top and window AC unit with power to spare. It's basically a truck with a built-in lithium battery, generator and invertor. You could throw a cap on the bed, get some used appliances and be on your way. I'm hoping they offer this in a chassis cab or the transit van so we can have proper RVs with these features.

1607034003079.png

So you get the two banks of 120v outlets and one 240v. I assume the 120v outlets will run on either the lithium battery or the engine or both depending on the load. When you need the 240v, both systems run in series; similar to when you link two 120v fuses in your house to make a 240v outlet. Obviously, you reduce your driving range the more you're in generator mode.

Just wanted to see what anyone else thought about the implications of this system for building an adventure rig. I'm already expecting some "it's way cheaper to do it yourself" comments, but the point is, this truck is coming with three big features that an RV would come with. Imagine this option on a Bronco.

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Mind. Blown. Ford keeps moving higher and higher on my “dream build” short list.

Our good friend just bought a 2018 Raptor and my first time riding in it I was like, “WELL, OK THEN FORD.”

Reactions: persquank

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I love seeing the Big 3 start to innovate again. I'm starting to think Toyota has some catching up to do.
I think its great to have the power stuff already there, no worrying about how to best rout and install stuff and if it will void warranty.

Reactions: 19mystic96