• HTML tutorial

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

As of now I'm mostly concentrated on long term reliability and RestoModding all the old and broken parts. In stock form I've been able to do most of my overlanding but I want to have more challenging trips. I overland the Appalachians, Northern Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Colorado. My trips correspond with hunting seasons more than random weekend trips. That's what OBX is for, with my family.

Near stock:

This is the plan for the Bed cover. I already have the bars and track unit but still need to buy or build a basket.

As goofy as it seems if I ever have another build this will be the first mandatory Mod for any older Rig. Changing out the old incandescent bulbs for LED's. Here's a picture of the LED's installed in the overhead versus the rear courtesy light.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Expedition Center Console to mount my Radios and hidden electronics.

The head unit is more of a want than a necessity but it handles front and rear cameras for climbs and descents along with having built in Navigation and it supports my phones GPS and apps.

Some touch up for reconditioning and blending.

Moog Ball joints
Billy's 4600 for the front and 5100's for the rear.
Axle Seals
Rear Pads and Parking breaks
blinker bulbs (High speed, Low Drag)
RP Gear Oil for the axles.
Wiper blades
and Re-greasing all my zerks. A VERY IMPORTANT but often forgotten part of regular maintenance.

Diet Coke was supposed to be installed in my stomach but it was 102* that day and it was scalding hot by the time I got to it. Such a waste. :0(

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Uncooperative little shit.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Better UCA's and BJ's.

Idler Arm

Camber Bolts for a better Alignment

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

This was a bad day. They were replaces with new factory temporarily until I received the stainless braided.

Good lines that are working well so far.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

F250 7700 rear springs. Stock rear springs for the Supercrew is soft for an SUV like ride and rated at 1,418 pounds but with all the gear we carry I needed something more. F250/7700 springs are rated @ 2200 pounds. I'm still in the middle the install.

New Shackles as well.

Poly Bushing are on the back burner until I feel home much NVH was increased with the new springs but I have them on standby.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I ordered wheels but I haven't received them yet. They'll be paired with Cooper AT3's, General Grabber AT2's or BFG KO2's. I haven't decided yet.

I would have kept factory wheels but they rub at lock with 315/70/17's. 5x135 bolt patters have a very limited selection of wheels in the market. Most of what's out there is for looks. I would have gone with 16's but I need the room for the larger Expedition calipers.

This is a Photoshop of what the wheels will look like on my truck. The truck in the picture is someone else's but it's a much better picture or what my truck will look like in Daily driving trim.

Most of my aftermarket Overlanding mods will be quickly removeable so I wont ever be driving around with large light bars, baskets or pioneer gear in the open. I need a subtle look that's quickly adjustable.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

That will be a very nice truck I guess.

Keep them pictures and stories coming.

Greetings from Robert

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It would be nice to have a dedicated rig to Overlanding only but we've got lots of toys to haul and I like having a bigger truck. I know it's not a popular overlanding vehicle but I like it and it goes when I tell it too.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I love following this thread. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Its not about what you drive, just that it is appropriate for the task!

M

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Upon further review of the play.. I don't think the Bed cover will be able to support all of my gear that doesn't fit in the bed. I was test fitting a standard Overlanding load and found the ARE cover to flex a lot. It may be Ok for something like our Bikes but it'll never hold the gear or a Roof Tent.

As it stands now, I'm looking at either a steel skeleton frame to mount into the bed or full topper that'll support a Roof tent.

Also I realize a big problem with my factory tire location. I either need to move it into the bed, upright or get a steel bumper with a swing arm tire mount.

..so much for staying subtle for daily driving. lol

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Haha, yup. You'll find when you really get the gear you want for the job, you're rig will start to take on a certain familiar-looking appearance!

Love this thread!

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks @administrator!

Little update for a new part arrival today!

Now This is a proper Transmission oil cooler. The Original is less than half this size.
Tru-Cool Max LPD47391 is the exact Cooler used in the 7.3 and v10 Superduty trucks so it'll be an easy replacement if anything should ever fail on the trail.

This is someone else's picture but it's the same cooler that's coming out of my truck.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

These also showed up yesterday. They are too nice of a wheel for my trucks old paint but they are stronger than stock and only 2 pounds heavier even being a full inch wider. (Stock wheels with 35's rub at full lock so the upgrade was needed.)

Although it looks like Chrome, it's not. It's something called PVD which seems to be like a glorified Powdercoating that doesn't add weight like chrome does.

17x8.5 American Racing wheel.

The only thing left to do now is decide on the Tire. Generals or Coopers?

General Grabber AT2's, General Grabber red letters or Cooper AT3, ST Maxx.

AT or MT that's the real question I need to ask myself, I guess.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Tires are ordered

General Grabber AT2 315/70/17

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I finally finished the heavy Leaf spring install today.  They should settle a little bit over the next few weeks but when I loaded the truck down tonight it leveled out perfectly.

I can't wait till the RestoModding is over so I can get down to business.

After the new tires and trans cooler, I'm going to move on to something fun.  The roof rack.  :0)

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

Think you will like the general's, I have them on the Cherokee and love them, quiet on highway yet aggressive enough for most situations.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I see a lot of mud in the rain seasons but 90% of my driving is rock trails, beach sand and pavement. From what I've read the at2's will do well. I really like the cooper mud tires on my friends rig but I just couldn't see that much tire for most of the driving I do.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I Blew out an axle bearing yesterday. It ate up the axle a bit so I think it might be time for an upgrade.

The tires arrived today but there's no way my wife will let me put them in her German yuppie-mobile. Not that I'd fit more than one at a time, lol.

I'll get the bearings done today w/ the bad axle to get it on the road; then get the Yukon axles via prime shipping on amazon. I hate the truck being down so at least it'll be together if something should take longer.

I sure wish Toyota's could tow more, I'd jump ship off the heavy Full size truck in a heartbeat.