Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

My wife and I have been considering our options for extra work top cooking space without hauling another table around with us, we came up with the idea of using our recovery board as a sort of fold down shelf which has gone a good way to solving our little issue.

What do you think?

Cheers Paul and Nicky

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Great idea! Kinda what I did.;

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Nice idea, and a very heavy duty looking recovery board. It's about as beefy as those bed racks with the drop sides.

Reactions: El-Dracho

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Nice idea, and a very heavy duty looking recovery board. It's about as beefy as those bed racks with the drop sides.
It's what the British military used back in the day, I fabricated the brackets to military spec copied from old photos then sourced some of the temporary runway interlocking steel boards ( Marston mat) and cut them down to size. They are pretty strong.

Reactions: El-Dracho

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Great idea! Kinda what I did.;

Nice, a great write up of your installation.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Corrie, Did you guys move? If you are asking about my blog to share, it is OK with me. It's on the web for knowledge and inspiration.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Those boards are quite solid and common with overlanders here in Europe resp. sahara desert travelers. And if they are bent too much, I simply run the rig over them on a flat surface and that's it. Here is a photo of the recovery boards on the side similar to Paul's setup. A very simple holder with hooks at the top and tension fasteners at the bottom.

sandladders.jpg