Jay Bond

Rank 0

Contributor I

Multnomah County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Omar
Last Name
Bond
Looking for ideas to carry extra fuel on my '08 FJC. I have a flat BajaRack with roof top tent, stock bumpers (for now). I'm currently looking at the BajaRack double jerry can mount and the Front Runner double jerry can mount. Anyone with experience with these or other options?

Thanks!!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use plastic gas containers with ratchet straps and a cable lock. Works great and is cheap. I love what BajaRacks does, They stand behind their products too.

Reactions: Jay Bond

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I can hold 3 cans on my swingout. My roof rack is similar to the Front Runner. I'm sure people don't mind hauling 40 odd pound fuel cans up and down their roof. I don't think I want to. If I did, they would lay on their side like the front runner mount. I would have to build a ladder on the back to make it easier. I normally put just my lightweight gear up there. If its the only place you've got, make sure you can do it easily.

MedfordChris

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Medford, MA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1CWU
I'm sure people don't mind hauling 40 odd pound fuel cans up and down their roof. I don't think I want to. If I did, they would lay on their side like the front runner mount. I would have to build a ladder on the back to make it easier. ... If its the only place you've got, make sure you can do it easily.
Totally agree! As I've gotten older, heavier stuff has gotten stored lower and lower. :)
One really neat idea I've seen for Fuel on the roof rack it to use a jiggler siphon to fill the vehicle right from the can on the roof. No hoisting, no lifting (except for initially getting it up there).
They look like this (if anyone's not familiar) 101354

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Looking for ideas to carry extra fuel on my '08 FJC. I have a flat BajaRack with roof top tent, stock bumpers (for now). I'm currently looking at the BajaRack double jerry can mount and the Front Runner double jerry can mount. Anyone with experience with these or other options?

Thanks!!
We used the front runner racks on our recent trip across the desert of Namibia.
Each vehicle carried 7, 20 liter fuel cans across some of the roughest terrain i’ve ever driven on and no one had any issues.
Highly reccomend.

Reactions: Jay Bond

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I can hold 3 cans on my swingout. My roof rack is similar to the Front Runner. I'm sure people don't mind hauling 40 odd pound fuel cans up and down their roof. I don't think I want to. If I did, they would lay on their side like the front runner mount. I would have to build a ladder on the back to make it easier. I normally put just my lightweight gear up there. If its the only place you've got, make sure you can do it easily.

The siphon that @MedfordChris mentioned is a great idea as it does make roof storage easy without the hauling the cans up and down. I generally don't like the weight up there though so I agree with you that the swing out is a good spot. That has disadvantages too, though, like increased risk in rear-end collisions, but they have to go somewhere and that's the best spot usually. It's where we'll be putting ours.

Something else to consider is a fuel bladder. They come in various sizes and depending on where you travel they are perfectly legal. They can hold a fair bit of fuel, are very light and compact when empty, but also very durable when full. They are, however, a bit tricky to pour and are stupid expensive:

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I've run the Front Runner Double Jerry Can Holders on my Gobi Rack for 3 years now with no issues. I positioned the jerry can holders directly above the fuel neck and use the siphon mentioned above. Beats trying to use a pour spout and hold up the heavy can. Absolutely no issues with that set up so far. They also lock for security.

The photo below shows the set up (other than I was carrying water at the time).

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
One really neat idea I've seen for Fuel on the roof rack it to use a jiggler siphon to fill the vehicle right from the can on the roof. No hoisting, no lifting (except for initially getting it up there).
They look like this (if anyone's not familiar)
Those rock. I have had one since the 80's. Have to replace the hose once in a while but thats it.

Reactions: MedfordChris

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I cut some aluminum angle and drilled it for anchors. I’ve found it gives me the most versatility on the flat roof rack. Placed flat 2 20L cans give me a healthy 40L reserve for a weekend. Placed on their backs, I can carry 4 upping it to 80L of reserve, good for IMG_0002.jpglonger tracks without fuel. If I need the most space on my rack and can spare the height I can stand the cans up, and move the angle closer together to support them. I’ve found this method works great regardless of the cans I grab since I have specter and nato cans in the home inventory. I now only buy holders for the cans if it’s somewhere they will be essentially permanently mounted such as the tongue of my trailer, or the 5L I have in my FJ as permanent emergency fuel.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I had an idea have you ever seen how the dakar cars carry their spare tire just in front of the rear wheels under the body panels. Why not make a carrier in the unused wheel well area. Not sure of available space in a suv wheel well but pickups can definately do this in front or behind rear wheels between the frame and body

mk-Zero

Rank 0

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
I'm running the ChiTown 4x4 RotoPax mount on mine, with a 4 gallon fuel and 2 2-gallon waters. I'm happy with it, the mount and RotoPax are all really high quality. Only issue was the price. I got the mount on sale though and shopped around for best prices on the RotoPax containers and mounts. Made it a little easier to swallow.
I also run a RTT, and awning, and my hi lift and shovel are also up on the rack, so there's not a lot of room to spare up there. My rack is a Baja utility (flat) rack.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have the Baja version and it works fine. It is mounted on my Warrior flat rack. The FrontRunner would be fine to. Not much difference. I use metal jerry cans with it or plastic water cans.

TXOverland58

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Negron
Member #

Hi folks. You all have outstanding vehicles with diverse fuel solutions. My vehicle and roof rack had limited solutions available. I looked hard at Rotopax fuel on the roof rack but that would have meant putting it over the driver moon roof. Eventually I settled on a Jerry can swing arm on the rear bar and two Rotopax 3 gallon fuel containers mounted to the rear ladder. The 2 gallon water Rotopax was flat mounted over the driver moon roof.
737DEA9A-E184-41DA-A158-2ACC5CB9F9B9.jpegE3751A17-6A48-45E9-88DD-7A6C6E9CEED7.jpeg