Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I reason I got the Garmin Montana was because I could switch it between the bike and the Rover using completely different modes.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I run an external GPS receiver positioned on the dash below the windshield. It gives me better accuracy than the GPS built into my Android tablet. I connect the GPS receiver to the tablet using Bluetooth.

On my Android tablet I use a few different apps for different purposes:
- I use "LocusPro" while I'm on the trail for offline maps and tracking.
- I use "Sygic GPS Navigation & Maps" when I'm navigating my way around town.
- I use "Ulysse Speedometer Pro" as a car dashboard that launches my GPS apps and also can be used to show you speed, direction etc.

To get offline map tiles, I use a desktop application called MOBAC. It allows me to pick a map source (Bing, Google, OpenStreet etc), draw some lines around the area I want offline maps for, pick the zoom levels I want to store the tiles for, and then downloads and gives me the tiles in any offline format I want, in my case BackCountry Navigator (SQLite).

Here is the Hollux GPS receiver I use (about $50)

Here it is mounted on my dash (also shown is the tablet mount I made out of two pieces of cutting-board)

Here is my home-made setup showing Ulysse Speedometer Pro

Here I'm using Locus Pro with topo map tiles that I've stored locally onto the tablet

And here I'm using "Sygic GPS Navigation & Maps" for navigating around town

As you can see, my setup is the culmination of various pieces that I've got working together. It took a bit for me to figure out but it's easy to run/maintain/use, costs me very little, and gives me good results/accuracy etc. I'm pretty happy with it.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

I didn't realize all the options available to me. I was happy with Gaia GPS and Google Maps offline. Good info here
How do you get google maps offline? That'd be fantastic as I've yet to find a decent app where I can upload GPS routes from another source and save for offline use (though I do plan on getting gaia, as what i've read, it does this)

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I get offline Google maps using a desktop app called "Mobile Atlas Creator" (aka MOBAC).

How to use MOBAC:
By default, MOBAC doesn't come with Google map support built in. This is a restriction imposed by Google on software vendors. You can add Google support to MOBAC yourself though. If anyone wants to know how to add Google maps to MOBAC I can lend a hand, it's not hard.

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

I was trying to use one of the Hema type apps or anything that would work on my phone or tablet, but all of it require you to pre download sections of the map, there was no room for spontaneous navigation while out of internet coverage.

I recently found topo fusion that I can run on a laptop, so I went to the pawn shop and bought a touch screen windows tablet that I'm going to use instead of Android or iPad. It will connect to my Garmin etrex vista through the USB and use it for tracking on the maps.

Posted via mobile.

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

The best offline map is 'Off-Road Trail Guide' it's similar to Gaia with better features. Beta testing now.

For those using InReach at GPS, after linking via BluTooth, is there any additional step? I'd like to put it in airplane mode and use the offline map with just Bluetooth. Haven't been able to test yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
The best offline map is 'Off-Road Trail Guide' it's similar to Gaia with better features. Beta testing now.

For those using InReach at GPS, after linking via BluTooth, is there any additional step? I'd like to put it in airplane mode and use the offline map with just Bluetooth. Haven't been able to test yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
After enabling "Airplane Mode", just swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone display and re-enable bluetooth.... the cell radio will remain off while in Airplane Mode, but your Bluetooth will work independently with your InReach as the GPS source.

NMhyoti

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Antonio, TX
Member #

The Delorme (now Garmin) inReach Explorer with an iPhone 6 Plus, rocks! Just download all maps to your phone or tablet and you are good just about anywhere with the Earthmate, or GAIA apps. Of course the added piece of mind that you have a two way communication SOS beacon device that works via the Iridium satellite system is just the icing on the cake! Just got it setup so I haven't tried the tracking feature yet. What's really cool is it allows you to post your GPS location to a webpage or social media where your friends can follow along with you while out on the trail.

View attachment 16905

Also going to be replacing the Arkon phone holder seen in the above pic with one of these that is designed to specifically fit the inReach SE/Explorer models available at B&H for $59 (no tax, free expedited shipping).

****UPDATE and product name correction 03/14/17***
I finally got around to purchasing and installing the new Delorme/RAM (not Arkon) mount from B&H. And like most RAM mount products I've purchased in the past, this mount is extremely well built, and will hold your device firmly in any position for years of use. You have the choice to use the cup holder attachment/mount, or you can just screw your RAM ball base mount to fit your desired surface or application. I happen to already own a ProClip mount, so I just screwed the RAM base ball mount direct onto it and I must say I'm very happy with the results. A bonus is that you can just leave the device plugged in and setup your InReach to power on and off in sync with an external power source (aka your 12v accessory receptacle).

Great to know! I have a delorme and had NO clue it could do that! Thank you for the info!

Reactions: Obi-Juan

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
Wondering what everyone is running as far as navigation with tracking. What do you recommend & why?

Sent from my LG-D851 using OB Talk mobile app
I run a Garmin 60 csx which I use for hiking. I use a windshield suction cup device for mounting. The Garmin is great..the suction device is poor. I really like the Garmin but I'm ready for a bigger screen. Probably going to the Magellan Trx in a few months

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Rusty

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i use an etrex 20. one of the newer ones. i like taking it with me for adventures on foot. super easy to add custom maps using google earth. any .jpg can become a map.

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
Anybody have any experience with the new ish Garmin 276CX? The reviews are pretty harsh.

Firelife

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Whitefish, Montana
Member #

I use a handheld Garmin 64 with the onyx Hunt map chip installed. Let's me get down to 20 ft topo lines and holds satalites very well even under heavy cover (usually have within +\- 5 feet accuracy. In addition I have that added chip, so that gives me all the land owners names with the boundaries and it will designate what type of land it is Private, state etc... Definitly impressed. Wish the chip was good for more than one state though. So I have a few different chips for the surrounding states near Montana. Hope this helped!

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Hey All,

I have a Magellan eXplorist GC (which I got for free) and a super old Magellan Sport Trak Map. Neither of them are super functional. I'd like to get a new one so I could use it for topo maps for OBing, hunting, and hiking. Unless anybody has tips on making the GC functional for more than Geocaching.

I hate to say it, but I don't trust using cell phones off line alone. I have run into too many troubles.

Looks like you guys have some pretty rockin' GPS set ups!

Tavo726

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Octavio
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

I actually just ordered a Garmin inReach SE+ the other day ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286 ). Just waiting for it to come in. Will probably test it in about two weeks or so. I'll give some feedback once I test it out. Some good info on here though for other alternatives. Thinking of getting the Magellan TRX7 soon too.

Reactions: John_Ruhl

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I dont know how many of us overland on a motorcycle too, but I have the Garmin Zumo 665. Weather proof to be in the driving rain, and works with gloves. Also has satellite Weather and Traffic. Bought this after dodging the tornado that hit Joplin, MO stopping every 50 miles or so to look at the radar on the phone. For the tablet I have a GlobalSat ND-105C allows GPS on non GPS devices or can be used to supplement.
I've been running a Zumo 550 for years for just that reason. Even though I am riding a lot less these days, in looking at the Garmin website it still seems like a better option then most of the other units. Bigger screen size, all the capabilities of the other units and of course super durable because of the demands of motorcycling. Granted, it's right up there cost wise with the other high end Garmin units but I'd recommend it even if you don't ride a motorcycle.

I will probably upgrade to the newer model one of these days but pretty happy mine still works great 10 years after I purchased it.