Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
The Delorme (now Garmin) inReach Explorer with an iPhone 6 Plus, rocks! Just download all maps to your phone or tablet and you are good just about anywhere with the Earthmate, or GAIA apps. Of course the added piece of mind that you have a two way communication SOS beacon device that works via the Iridium satellite system is just the icing on the cake! Just got it setup so I haven't tried the tracking feature yet. What's really cool is it allows you to post your GPS location to a webpage or social media where your friends can follow along with you while out on the trail.

inReachExplorer.jpg

Also going to be replacing the Arkon phone holder seen in the above pic with one of these that is designed to specifically fit the inReach SE/Explorer models available at B&H for $59 (no tax, free expedited shipping).

****UPDATE and product name correction 03/14/17***
I finally got around to purchasing and installing the new Delorme/RAM (not Arkon) mount from B&H. And like most RAM mount products I've purchased in the past, this mount is extremely well built, and will hold your device firmly in any position for years of use. You have the choice to use the cup holder attachment/mount, or you can just screw your RAM ball base mount to fit your desired surface or application. I happen to already own a ProClip mount, so I just screwed the RAM base ball mount direct onto it and I must say I'm very happy with the results. A bonus is that you can just leave the device plugged in and setup your InReach to power on and off in sync with an external power source (aka your 12v accessory receptacle).

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The Delorme (now Garmin) inReach Explorer with an iPhone 6 Plus, rocks! Just download all maps to your phone or tablet and you are good just about anywhere with the Earthmate, or GAIA apps. Of course the added piece of mind that you have a two way communication SOS beacon device that works via the Iridium satellite system is just the icing on the cake! Just got it setup so I haven't tried the tracking feature yet. What's really cool is it allows you to post your GPS location to a webpage or social media where your friends can follow along with you while out on the trail.
Love it. At some point I plan to pick up an inReach SE to take the place of my Dual 150 external gps. I don't need/want the Explorer since I only use it for my iPad which I generally run Gaia and Scenic Map on. For the price the Dual 150 works fantastic, has great battery life, and is VERY small. It's actually charging inside a small cubbyhole in this picture.

image.jpeg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Mods please merge with one of the many other GPS threads so information can stay contained. I know it's wishful thinking but each new thread waters down the good information already shared many times over.

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Thinking I am going to go with the Dual XGPS150A for my needs. I like the versatility of using various apps and handheld devices and has no issues off-grid. Where I prefer to be. My pilot friend swears by it.

Reactions: BadMofo

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thinking I am going to go with the Dual XGPS150A for my needs. I like the versatility of using various apps and handheld devices and has no issues off-grid. Where I prefer to be. My pilot friend swears by it.
As I said in my post it's a great little unit. The only reason I'll replace it is to add 2 way communication and tracking.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Can the Dual GPS not be operated with a 2 way communication system? And does the GPS not track? Maybe I don't understand your reply
It is only a GPS receiver with no communication abilities. Whatever map software you're using will plot your track but only you can see it.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

I use maps.me and maplets. Maplets is cool because if you submit them a JPG/PDF / (really anything I guess) of a map, they will make it available for download for offline use. Usually takes about 4 - 5 days for the map to show up to download.

https://www.mobilemaplets.com/

Reactions: grover

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Can the Dual GPS not be operated with a 2 way communication system? And does the GPS not track? Maybe I don't understand your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
If you need GPS and want to communicate then get a Delorme InReach. If you only need GPS then get whatever you want. The Dual is a good option. The Delorme Units are multi-purpose GPS and Satellite text communications. Plenty of info online about them and some threads here.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
If you need GPS and want to communicate then get a Delorme InReach. If you only need GPS then get whatever you want. The Dual is a good option. The Delorme Units are multi-purpose GPS and Satellite text communications. Plenty of info online about them and some threads here.
Yessir. This was also discussed only 8 or 9 posts ago.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I dont know how many of us overland on a motorcycle too, but I have the Garmin Zumo 665. Weather proof to be in the driving rain, and works with gloves. Also has satellite Weather and Traffic. Bought this after dodging the tornado that hit Joplin, MO stopping every 50 miles or so to look at the radar on the phone. For the tablet I have a GlobalSat ND-105C allows GPS on non GPS devices or can be used to supplement.

Reactions: BadMofo