Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I will be riding in yo expowest from the East TAT. Stopping in Moab UT and then shipping down to Flagstaff. Who wants to join?

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

We will be leaving from the East Bay Area for Expo West, we went with Michael's convoy last year. I haven't seen a recent post to see what their trip itinerary will be this year. I believe we met on Wednesday last year in Livermore at 0'dark thirty.

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I would love to travel with an OB convoy, but with the understanding that I do not have an off-road vehicle at this time.
Part of the reason I am volunteering at the expo is to get a better idea of what kind of vehicle would work best for my wife and I.
I am planning to leave on Thursday, but I could do Wednesday as well, since my I am really lucky that my boss is pretty flexible.

Reactions: Daniel Shupp

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

I would love to travel with an OB convoy, but with the understanding that I do not have an off-road vehicle at this time.
Part of the reason I am volunteering at the expo is to get a better idea of what kind of vehicle would work best for my wife and I.
I am planning to leave on Thursday, but I could do Wednesday as well, since my I am really lucky that my boss is pretty flexible.
As soon as I hear something I'll make sure I let you know! Last year our camping locations did not require 4WD but one did require a bit of clearance.

FJ_Anna

Rank V
Founder 500

Traveler III

Turlock, California, USA
First Name
Anna
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSJ
We will likely head out early Thursday morning. I’ve got to clean the FJ up again when we get to flagstaff since it’ll be on display at the Metal Tech booth

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I am still waiting to hear about a Bay Area convoy as well.
I plan on leaving Thursday morning, around 6 am(ish) from San Jose, and will stick to highways, so the most direct route for me looks like:

US-101 to Gilroy
CA-152 to Los Banos
I-5 to Bakersfield
CA-58 to Barstow
I-40 to Flagstaff

726 miles
Total time: ~10 hours 10 minutes - 13 hours (with no stops)

Now, that is a long haul to try and do in one day for a single driver, but if you have a companion in your car, you can switch off at fuel stops and whatnot (I will not have a companion, unless someone would like to volunteer).

Alternatively, I could leave Wednesday evening (6pm) and stop in Bakersfield (3 hours 45 minutes) at a No-tel Motel, then hit the road a little later in the morning on Thursday (9am) to head to Flagstaff (6 hours 40 minutes).

Does either of those look doable for anyone else?

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

I am still waiting to hear about a Bay Area convoy as well.
I plan on leaving Thursday morning, around 6 am(ish) from San Jose, and will stick to highways, so the most direct route for me looks like:

US-101 to Gilroy
CA-152 to Los Banos
I-5 to Bakersfield
CA-58 to Barstow
I-40 to Flagstaff

726 miles
Total time: ~10 hours 10 minutes - 13 hours (with no stops)

Now, that is a long haul to try and do in one day for a single driver, but if you have a companion in your car, you can switch off at fuel stops and whatnot (I will not have a companion, unless someone would like to volunteer).

Alternatively, I could leave Wednesday evening (6pm) and stop in Bakersfield (3 hours 45 minutes) at a No-tel Motel, then hit the road a little later in the morning on Thursday (9am) to head to Flagstaff (6 hours 40 minutes).

Does either of those look doable for anyone else?
I’m going to see if I can change to leave Thursday to meet up with your route times. I have driven it more than once at one time, so no need to switch drivers. Fuel stops about every 200 miles though :-/ for us. I’ll keep You posted it I can change work schedule.

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

After mulling it over, I plan to leave San Jose on Wednesday evening around 6pm and drive to Bakersfield.
Then leave Thursday morning from Bakersfield to head to Flagstaff.

If other folks are leaving the Bay Area at oh-dark-thirty on Thursday, we could meet up somewhere along I-5 near Bakersfield to continue along to Flagstaff.
I do not have my Ham licence yet, but I will have a scanner to monitor the OB ham channel (146.460), along with my CB (ch16), and a couple little FRS radios for short-range communications.

I checked a couple county campgrounds around Bakersfield (Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area, Kern River Campground), and they all seem to be reserved for all of May for some private event. Thus my decision to find a little motel in the area.

Vagabond Inn in Buttonwillow is only $40/night right now.

Reactions: glideking

DISCVRR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Manteca
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cademas
Member #

I'm leaving 6am weds morning from manteca ca. Hopefully have my gear ready to go since I have work Tuesday night till weds. But if anyone wanna head down 99 south...you're more likely to join me.

Reactions: FJ_Anna

Daniel Shupp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Hi Guys,

Looks like there is a pretty good mix of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday scheduled departures. Sarah and I plan to leave tomorrow morning (Tues) and loosely copy last years Expo West convoy itinerary. Since Michael's rig is still being tended to, there doesn't appear to be a planned convoy from the Bay Area this year but we would love to catch up with some of you guys on either Tuesday night, Wednesday night, or even Thursday morning to line up at the entrance together. I'll check this thread regularly, we're open to other suggested camping locations. We hope to see some of you guys soon!

Tuesday May 14th
7:00 AM Depart
Starbucks
883 Airway Blvd, Livermore, CA 94551

5:00 PM Arrive
Basecamp #1 (same spot as last year)
Primitive location off of Needles Highway
35.052934, -114.683319

Wednesday May 15th
4:00 PM Arrive
Freidlein Prarie Dispersed Camping
35.293667, -111.702833

Thursday May 16th
10:00 AM Arrive
Fort Tuthill County Campground

DISCVRR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Manteca
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cademas
Member #

Hi Guys,

Looks like there is a pretty good mix of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday scheduled departures. Sarah and I plan to leave tomorrow morning (Tues) and loosely copy last years Expo West convoy itinerary. Since Michael's rig is still being tended to, there doesn't appear to be a planned convoy from the Bay Area this year but we would love to catch up with some of you guys on either Tuesday night, Wednesday night, or even Thursday morning to line up at the entrance together. I'll check this thread regularly, we're open to other suggested camping locations. We hope to see some of you guys soon!

Tuesday May 14th
7:00 AM Depart
Starbucks
883 Airway Blvd, Livermore, CA 94551

5:00 PM Arrive
Basecamp #1 (same spot as last year)
Primitive location off of Needles Highway
35.052934, -114.683319

Wednesday May 15th
4:00 PM Arrive
Freidlein Prarie Dispersed Camping
35.293667, -111.702833

Thursday May 16th
10:00 AM Arrive
Fort Tuthill County Campground
I'll probably be down to meet you guys up at weds for some camping if that's ok?