Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Howdy all,
I am planning on attending and volunteering at Expo West next May to get a more in-depth view of Overlanding.

Is anyone else planning this far ahead and wanting to group up for a road-trip there?

I don't yet have an 'overland' rig, so it will be all road travel for me in my Honda Fit as of right now.

<Edit> I should note that I am coming from the San Francisco Bay Area and looking for road trip and/or camping buddies.

Last edited:

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
My wife and I are planning to attend, though, at this stage of the game, we haven't planned a lot more other than to put in for the vacation time (work likes at least 6-month notice, a year if you can give it to them) and to price out tickets for flights. We are likely to just fly in for the weekend, rent a rig (Jeep!) to attend the event, and stay at a hotel in Flagstaff.

In 2020 we will be there with the overlanding rig, and be headed north to the Dalton Highway from the show :D :D :D

A meet up would be awesome, and we hope we have other friends that will be going.

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Yup, I am thinking of renting a vehicle that can tow a teardrop and give that a try, since that is the route my wife and I are thinking about going since we are wanting to travel a bit more.
As time gets closer, a lot more coordination will start to happen I am sure.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I volunteered this last year and 100% expect to do the same next year.

It was a great experience and "working" there got me more involved than I would have otherwise. Great experience all around.

Though I might camp in General Camping next year. Was really quiet at the volunteer camp..

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I just submitted my volunteer form, I have the time off from work, and I am looking for on-road caravan buddies.
It is about an 11 hour drive, so I would like to leave early morning on Thursday the 16th.
Has anyone else started planning for this event?

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I hate bumping my own post, but I am just wondering if anyone else is starting their trip planning for going to Expo West.
I am fairly flexible with timing thanks to my awesome boss, but I will be driving a Honda Fit, so on-road only for me.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
I hate bumping my own post, but I am just wondering if anyone else is starting their trip planning for going to Expo West.
I am fairly flexible with timing thanks to my awesome boss, but I will be driving a Honda Fit, so on-road only for me.
I’ll be heading east from San Diego.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I will be traversing West from Colorado to attend. I have a friend joining me from Florida who will be in my convoy crossing over into California. I hope to join a few others in our trek from Colorado to Expo West. Feel free to connect with my on facebook or DM me here on the forums. - Nickzero

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I plan on heading to Bakersfield via I5, we could meet up somewhere near there as we make our way to 40.

Ron Gott

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Gott
Member #

Sounds good, you leaving Friday or Saturday? I’ll know for sure the next couple weeks if I can leave Friday morning as my work has me do annual vacations. I’ll keep in touch for sure

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Sounds good, you leaving Friday or Saturday? I’ll know for sure the next couple weeks if I can leave Friday morning as my work has me do annual vacations. I’ll keep in touch for sure
I am actually planning on leaving on Thursday, since I will be volunteering for the weekend and want to be there and available Friday morning.

chshrkt

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Burbank, San Jose, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Well, good luck, and I hope to meet up with everyone at some point during the Expo, maybe at an 'Official' Overland Bound get-together.

Ron Gott

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Gott
Member #

Yea for sure man!! That’s why I joined up to meet new people with similar interests! When I get there we will meet up for sure!

Ron Gott

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Gott
Member #

We plan on leaving Friday too, just waiting to see if the wife got the day off. We are going to camp for the weekend.