Explore Moab after picking up our Go Fast Camper - 11/16/2018

• HTML tutorial

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

This has now become Project Pick up GFC. We will be going to Montana to install the GFC, then make our way to see Moab and the grand canyon before heading back home. Tentatively as follows:

THU NOV 15TH: Leave after work, hoping to get somewhere in TN and sleep.
FRI NOV 16TH: Drive a long ways, shooting for an 800 mile day.
SAT NOV 17TH: Shooting for another 800 mile day.
SUN NOV 18TH: Arrive at GFC to install at some point, make our way to Moab, Utah.
MON NOV 19TH: Explore Moab
TUE NOV 20TH: Explore Moab
WED NOV 21ST: Explore Moab
THU NOV 22ND:Explore Moab
FRI NOV 23RD: Explore Moab or go to Grand Canyon
SAT NOV 24TH: Moab or Grand Canyon, head home
SUN NOV 25TH: Driving home
MON NOV 26TH: Arrive home at some point

Anything post day 3 is subject to change if we decide we want to stay in one location longer because we want to see more. The primary portion is getting to GFC headquarters quickly as possible so the rest of the trip can be spent enjoying the outdoors.

So far we have 1 rig

Myself, OB#11731, 2017 Tacoma TRDOR with my wife and 2 dogs

View Rally Point
Last edited:

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I am open for some constructive route criticisms, I know some of the long days are going to be very tough but I wanted to maximize our time out West since we are east coasters and this is not a trip I can take every year. If anyone would spend more time in certain areas or have pointers on how to make the most of our time please feel free to comment. This is my first trip out West and the longest trip I would have driven to date.

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

I'm actually headed to Montana in August. Unfortunately I will be leaving on the 11th and arriving in Montana on the 18th. I am planning to cannonball to Colorado and then explore from there for 5-6 days. I would love to find some people on here with experience in that Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana area. I will be glad to share any information I can gather. It would be awesome to cross paths while out west but looks like our dates are going to be off a little.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Quadabaum staying one day in Yellowstone is probable not enough. It is a beautiful place. The wife and I went there last year and stayed 4 days and did not see it all. I have not been to Moab but the Grand Canyon is a great place too. Which rim of the canyon do you plan to visit. The North rim gets fewer visitors than the South rim. The West rim is where the skywalk is and it is worth it to walk on the skywalk, albeit $$$. https://www.grandcanyon.net/west-rim Montana is a gorgeous place. There is so much to see out West and so little time to see it. Enjoy and good luck on your trip. Safe travels.

Reactions: quadabaum

jxmkhn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
Member #

If I have not shipped out yet I might be down to join during the utah portion as it is closer for me to drive up to then head back home to LA when the trip is over.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Quadabaum staying one day in Yellowstone is probable not enough. It is a beautiful place. The wife and I went there last year and stayed 4 days and did not see it all. I have not been to Moab but the Grand Canyon is a great place too. Which rim of the canyon do you plan to visit. The North rim gets fewer visitors than the South rim. The West rim is where the skywalk is and it is worth it to walk on the skywalk, albeit $$$. https://www.grandcanyon.net/west-rim Montana is a gorgeous place. There is so much to see out West and so little time to see it. Enjoy and good luck on your trip. Safe travels.
Sorry I have missed these comments. We are subject to change days around and spend more time in certain areas, yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are the primary objectives, after getting the GFC of course. We will most likely do the North rim since we will be coming from the North. I would like to Go NW to the NE on the North rim since we will need to make our way back East (GA).

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Adjusted the Rally Point on 9/10/18 to focus on Moab, Utah since Yellowstone National Park will be closed.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Downloading maps and finishing my route planning for the trip out west this fall. Still trying to decided if I want to pick up my GFC or have it shipped to me. I outlined the options in an excel file that I cant seem to attach to the thread.

Option Shipping ($) Lodging ($) Gas ($) Miles (HWY) Hours (HWY) Total Cost ($)*
A $ 1,100.00 $ - $ 604.00 3,624 55 $1,704.00
B $ - $ 230.00 $ 792.00 4,744 72 $1,022.00
C $ - $ 230.00 $ 755.00 4,529 68 $985.00
D $ 750.00 $ - $ 604.00 3,624 55 $ 1,354.00
*Total cost only includes cost of hwy driving, lodging, and shipping. Does not include camping in various destinations, gas while on trails, etc.

Option A
Nov 15-18 Home to Auburn to drop off dogs then head to Montrose, CO.
Nov 18-20 Rimrocker trail to Moab
Nov 20-22 Explore Moab trails and town
Nov 22-24 Lockhart Basin trail, valley of the gods
Nov 24-26 Visit 4 corners national monument on the way home
Pros Less HWY miles and HRS, smooth transition from trail to trail and get to see main attractions and no lodging costs.
Cons Pay for shipping charges

Option B
Nov 15-18 Home to Auburn to drop off dogs then head to Belgrade, MT
Nov 18-20 Belgrade, MT to Moab to explore trails
Nov 20-22 4 corners monument, valley of the gods, and lockhart basin trail
Nov 22-24 Rimrocker trail to Montrose, CO
Nov 24-26 Return home
Pros Get to see MT and the GFC HQ. No shipping charges.
Cons 1,120 more miles HWY, 17 more HRS hwy.

Option C
Nov 15-18 Home to Auburn to drop off dogs then head to Belgrade, MT
Nov 18-20 Belgrade, MT to Moab to explore trails
Nov 20-22 Explore trails in Moab
Nov 22-24 Rimrocker trail to Montrose, CO
Nov 24-26 Return home
Pros Get to see MT and the GFC HQ. No shipping charges. More time in Moab.
Cons 905 more miles HWY, 13 more HRS hwy. Miss Valley of the Gods and 4 corners monument.

Option D (Same as option A but with freight shipping )
Nov 15-18 Home to Auburn to drop off dogs then head to Montrose, CO.
Nov 18-20 Rimrocker trail to Moab
Nov 20-22 Explore Moab trails and town
Nov 22-24 Lockhart Basin trail, valley of the gods
Nov 24-26 Visit 4 corners national monument on the way home
Pros Less HWY miles and HRS, smooth transition from trail to trail and get to see main attractions and no lodging costs.
Cons Pay for shipping charges and have to install GFC myself

trifreemc

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA
Member #

Sorry I have missed these comments. We are subject to change days around and spend more time in certain areas, yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are the primary objectives, after getting the GFC of course. We will most likely do the North rim since we will be coming from the North. I would like to Go NW to the NE on the North rim since we will need to make our way back East (GA).
Double check North Rim access if you haven't lately as all official services are closed for the winter:
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/north-rim.htm