Expedition Overland Teaser Trailer

• HTML tutorial

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
I've been a fan for a few years

my only complaint against them as an amateur radio operator is their lack of proper ID in the videos
they make mention that all of the crew even down to the cameramen are using ham radios
only properly licensed operators are allowed to transmit with those transceivers
& then in one episode they operate out of band to talk to the cabin owner
they have no disclaimer and at this point one has to think they are transmitting illegally, which they are
if they are properly licensed than say so
I understand being anonymous and wanting to keep some of your personal life personal
but dont portray ham radio as something to be abused, follow the rules, lead by example in these videos I say
end of soapbox

Gotcha, I can speak exactly to that situation. The reason we made a point of discussing the frequency in that segment of video was that we were switching FROM the low-watt FRS to the 2M, but we had HAM's on both end (KE7FYQ). That was a rare scenario as generally we run on FRS freq's (you'll see XO Alpha on the radio often) or for long distance stuff freq's in the 152-154mhz range, commonly referred to as "Race Freq's" that many company's PCI, Rugged Radios, etc are supporting. As a ham I struggled to understand how operation on these race freq's was allowed as there is no licensing, no real etiquette outside of the repeaters (such as those set up by BF Goodrich & others), etc. But for the last 20+ years at every desert race both foreign and abroad there are hundreds of teams using modified HAMS and/or radios set up by PCI, Rugged, etc. King of the Hammers for example has 100+ teams each day running these radios and thousands more spectators chiming in. Not sure where the regs fit in there. Why choose 146.460, easy we were not only trying to chat with each other but comms into the local village where there is a local that monitors the 2M and we had the best hope to find them there.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

So I'm way late to this XO show, just started watching a couple days ago. So far it's very cool. I can't believe some of the things they do in the LC with almost no armor. Great show, makes me want to pack up and leave for somewhere.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
So I'm way late to this XO show, just started watching a couple days ago. So far it's very cool. I can't believe some of the things they do in the LC with almost no armor. Great show, makes me want to pack up and leave for somewhere.
Glad you're enjoying it! Let us know how you like the remaining episodes.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I LOVE the XO show, have watched all the seasons they have released so far! :D
This kind of stuff just makes sense to me.

E

expeditionnorth

Gotcha, I can speak exactly to that situation. The reason we made a point of discussing the frequency in that segment of video was that we were switching FROM the low-watt FRS to the 2M, but we had HAM's on both end (KE7FYQ). That was a rare scenario as generally we run on FRS freq's (you'll see XO Alpha on the radio often) or for long distance stuff freq's in the 152-154mhz range, commonly referred to as "Race Freq's" that many company's PCI, Rugged Radios, etc are supporting. As a ham I struggled to understand how operation on these race freq's was allowed as there is no licensing, no real etiquette outside of the repeaters (such as those set up by BF Goodrich & others), etc. But for the last 20+ years at every desert race both foreign and abroad there are hundreds of teams using modified HAMS and/or radios set up by PCI, Rugged, etc. King of the Hammers for example has 100+ teams each day running these radios and thousands more spectators chiming in. Not sure where the regs fit in there. Why choose 146.460, easy we were not only trying to chat with each other but comms into the local village where there is a local that monitors the 2M and we had the best hope to find them there.
Thanks
seems everyone lately is using non type accepted radios everywhere, which is really disappointing
even sadder XO are using these radios out of band
you know as well as I do its walking the line, you & I as amateurs will receive a harsher punishment for being hams than the average Joe if they are ever caught
I guess I dont look at XO as highly as I once did
end of soapbox, 73

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Thanks
seems everyone lately is using non type accepted radios everywhere, which is really disappointing
even sadder XO are using these radios out of band
you know as well as I do its walking the line, you & I as amateurs will receive a harsher punishment for being hams than the average Joe if they are ever caught
I guess I dont look at XO as highly as I once did
end of soapbox, 73
Fair enough and noted. Fwiw I just participated in the Baja 1000 in Mexico, thousands of radios operating outside of band on unlicensed frequencies. Tire companies, manufactures such as Ford, Toyota, Honda, Etc. I've become absolutely numb to it, in fact I'd take far greater issue with them if they were operating within the HAM bands as then there would theoretically be a victim... As it is now I've never heard a complaint about the hundreds of teams (many of which can have dozens of radios) operating within the so-called race bands.