Exped Megamat10..worth it!

• HTML tutorial

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

After our first year of camping in the flip-back and having some miserable nights...4 in memory foam compressing after night 2 and sleeping on the aluminum base....motion sickness from a innotech queen double thick air mattress (and waking up at 3 am to discover it has a leak and your laying on the aluminum again) the wife and I decided we HAD to find a solution..

We started reading reviews...like this one http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Mattress-Reviews

A trip to REI and many lay down tests we decided to bite the HUGE cost and get 2 mega mat 10's

Haven't regretted it ONCE!!

see we are bigger folks...I'm over 300 and under 7 ft...well 6 foot too...and my wife is built like a car from the late 50s...big trunk and bigger front end
..so most air mattresses had to be fully inflated to allow side sleeping and not have hips and shoulders go all the way thru...

The megamats are a foam core with an outter air mattress...so you can adjust the air firmer or softer and the foam takes up the slack...(and insulates much better than either alone)

They even come with a neat little whoopie cushion like inflator and large valves with built in checks so you won't loose what you've already put in.

Cons.
Price...$512 for both at REI was the cheapest I could find them last year..new green ones are on the market so prices dropped a little
They are bulky when packed...think sleeping bag roll thickness only just as wide as the bag..
Takes a while for the foam to fill with air..I usually unroll and fill them with air till they are super firm...about an hour before bed...then deflate to desired pressure..
Pack down is a couple min longer to compress and get them back in the bag.

Pros..
Durable..really durable..
Soft material..even in hot weather we can lay directly on them..
Wide and long...no rolling off
Support....omg...they will hold you off the base platforms indefinitely..after day 2 no worries about compression of the foam

FINNALY..they are SUPER comfortable..we have used them probably 75 nights in a year..camping..pillow toppers..boy scout events..martial arguments...they make sure that the surface your sleeping on ie NOT the reason you didn't get rest..(dang boy scouts!)

And they still look as good as the day we bought them!

Not my wife

Air pump

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ShredHead

Rank 0

Contributor I

I just bought 2 of these Megamat 10s a few weeks ago and i'm definitely looking forward to using them on my next camping trip! I got mine discounted through the REI garage, plus another 20% off so it ended up being $132 each! Too good of a deal to pass up and every review I read was awesome. I was getting tired of waking up in the middle of the night to a deflated mattress... I'm expecting this one will be MUCH nicer and durable and should last a long time.

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

My wife was generally not a camping kind of gal and has some back issues. This pad is what finally got her into the tent. When on solo trips I now steal her mat. Just got a second twin size with my REI member coupon and dividends. Can't say enough good about the product. #restinpeace

Reactions: Wanderer351

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

My wife is a camper so I'm lucky..but 3 females (2 girl children) prompted me to buy a portable cassette toilet...its never been used..but its packed when they camp with me JUST in case and as insurance..

Little comforts for them make a huge difference!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
I just bought 2 of these Megamat 10s a few weeks ago and i'm definitely looking forward to using them on my next camping trip! I got mine discounted through the REI garage, plus another 20% off so it ended up being $132 each! Too good of a deal to pass up and every review I read was awesome. I was getting tired of waking up in the middle of the night to a deflated mattress... I'm expecting this one will be MUCH nicer and durable and should last a long time.
We did the exact same thing. REI Garage. Used them a couple times and amazing. I wish I could fit 2 ads in the 4Runner cause 1 is just not wide enough and two is too wide to fit. 1st world problems

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
Reactions: Wanderer351

GMoney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SoCal
New member here!

x2 on these awesome sleeping pads. This is the only pad I have found that I can sleep on my side and not get hip bruises when camping. And, very important is the R-value for winter camping.

Reactions: Captain Slow

Bronco Driver

Rank 0

Traveler I

New member but I have had an expedited for a year now and it is great. It has really fixed how I sleep when camping. Keeps you insulated and is super comfortable. Love the thing, I just wish they weren't so expensive but I would definitely buy again.