Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

No they are not cheap for sure. I dont plan on taking the Excursion to baja so not a concern their. Seems to be mixed reviews on the 5160's as for being firmer then the 5100's vs Softer. Looks like more research will be necessary. The 5100's I have now are still in good order, just looking for something a little softer. So I certainly do not want to spend the money only to get a harsher ride. I am sure mileage will vary depending on the vehicle.

I finally found a fridge, just pulled the trigger on a ICECO VL45 with the cover. :smiley:

if you haven't read the thread I have a excursion (street rod truck), a 2018 f250 overlanding / haul truck, and a 99 land cruiser.

I had the 5100's custom valved by bilstein on the 2wd excursion... and run the 5100's on the land cruiser.. i think I am currently running the 5100's on the 250, but have a set of 5160's for it... that I think we have had on an off in the prototype stage.

honestly, bilsteins dont get "hard".. they are very reactive. I think most people are use to blown out shocks when they say bilsteins are 'hard'... they are not.. they are efficient which is why you might want to consider an adjustable valve shock so you can tune them to your own buttmeter.

im sold on bilsteins.. i run them on everything from bmws, to porsches, to race cars, to the 4x4's ... they just work. and they usually dont try to rape your wallet on something that's not super custom.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Usage is defiantly not pre-running, mostly roads and slow going on gravel to include obstacles on the trail. I seen that same Baja gatherings required a fox 2.5 or better to attend, so I starting asking my self if it would be a worthy upgrade...I kinda miss my old Ranch 9000 with the compressor to remote adjust them, but that was all pre lift days and long ago.
I have blown out two Bilstein 5100s in Baja going mostly slow. But we did 400 miles plus on some pretty rough roads - no some were just older two tracks. LOL Anyway when I converted my truck from 2wd to 4wd I went with ICON 2.5 adjustable front shocks. Happy so far - but need a little speed for the shocks to feel smooth.

I still need to change out may rear shocks, but waiting finish/get new rear springs/set the rear ride height first.brakes and suspension done.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay Smallen

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I with blown out two Bilstein 5100s in Baja going mostly slow. But we did 400 miles plus on some pretty rough roads - no some were just older two tracks. LOL Anyway when I converted my truck from 2wd to 4wd I went with ICON 2.5 adjustable front shocks. Happy so far - but need a little speed for the shocks to feel smooth.

I still need to change out may rear shocks, but waiting finish/get new rear springs/set the rear ride height first.View attachment 170949

icon makes a good shock. baja is rough on anything.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Aces

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Our (wife’s) 04 Excursion 6.0 psd (bulletproof’d)

Icon 2.5” shocks at all corners
Atlas 2” over stock leaf springs
On baby 33”s for now
More of a family hauler than anything for now.... hopefully.
9A2DCB27-938F-4DA1-820B-273ED6580A44.jpeg5B0EA586-6614-42E7-8CF1-4E791C1FE4A2.jpeg4EEE718F-66AB-401A-86F4-FDEE15EB1B38.jpegEEADC72F-C4F3-4943-8D6F-487CDD7A0A18.jpeg

Reactions: Daryl 32

bnglmnF250

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Engelman
Member #

Not sure how I missed this thread!

2016 F250 CCSB King Ranch Powerstroke
Carli 2.5” Backcountry kit w/tuned Fox 2.0s
3” Deaver rear leafs, Air Lift 5000 bags on Daystar cradles
50gal. Transferflo replacement tank
Method NV wheels with 35” Toyo AT3s
Bank’s air inlet and exhaust
Bed full of secure camping and recovery gear

Currently shopping shells and formal bed build outs. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Attachments

Reactions: Marine0811

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Not sure how I missed this thread!

2016 F250 CCSB King Ranch Powerstroke
Carli 2.5” Backcountry kit w/tuned Fox 2.0s
3” Deaver rear leafs, Air Lift 5000 bags on Daystar cradles
50gal. Transferflo replacement tank
Method NV wheels with 35” Toyo AT3s
Bank’s air inlet and exhaust
Bed full of secure camping and recovery gear

Currently shopping shells and formal bed build outs. Thanks for all the inspiration!
nice looking truck. look at calibrated power for tunes for the truck.. make it a totally different truck... and with all emissions.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Aces

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

How do you like the icon shocks, can I ask how much they set you back? I currently have blistines 5100 but looking for something a little better hopefully softer.
I like them a lot. Don't get me wrong you can still tell you're in a leaf sprung tank but they are actually relatively smooth. It's pricey though, about $2600 for the shocks.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Love seeing all these Fat Bastard rigs.

We're running a 2000 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. With the Snugtop Outback canopy and a bed platform with drawers and a 20 gallon water tank, we sleep awesome on a queen sized bed in the back. Put 'er in park and camp is made!

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm shopping options for a new rig, and I like the F250, mostly for engine and payload. I don't see many aftermarket options for sliders (mounted to the frame, not the body) or skid plates. Lots of options out there for small Tacomas with limited payload, but few options for an F250 that can shrug off a few hundred pounds of added steel? Any recommendations?

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
I'm shopping options for a new rig, and I like the F250, mostly for engine and payload. I don't see many aftermarket options for sliders (mounted to the frame, not the body) or skid plates. Lots of options out there for small Tacomas with limited payload, but few options for an F250 that can shrug off a few hundred pounds of added steel? Any recommendations?
I ran into the same issue with sliders for my F250. I was told on one forum that frame mounted sliders on a truck that heavy could actually bend the frame members and I might be better off without. I have no way of knowing if that's true. I ended up with some cheap "sliders" that aren't really sliders, they just mount to the rocker panels. But I needed to get rid of the OEM side steps and still have something my wife can step on to climb into the truck.

The most realistic option I found for frame mounted sliders was to buy a slider kit and weld on the F250 specific mount points. Might look at that down the road.

That being said, I love the hell out of this truck for overlanding. Payload is awesome. The 7.3L diesel nets us 17 to 19 MPG on the freeway. We sleep on a regular queen size mattress in the back and it's just as or more comfortable than our bed at home.

Reactions: Old Tanker

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You most likely won't need anything more than the Raptor body mounted rocker protection. How hardcore are you getting?

Only one guy makes skids for the SD, because you only need to add one between the front trailing arms. And it's nearly a straight couple pieces of metal with a few spacers. Fab one up out of wood, then drop it off at your favorite metal shop. You can beef up the other existing skids on your own easy enough. although I'm leaving the OEM skids alone, they are tough enough for my usage.

Frame mounted sliders will usually bend and damage the frame. 10,000 pounds is no joke. That weight, combined with a few feet of leverage, easily bends frame steel. You'll have to fab up custom sliders that cradle the frame nicely, but even if those are done poorly.....you'll taco the frame. Been there done that. Some guys are luckier than others, but I cringe when I see a 4x4 jacked up by it's sliders. Thousands of dollars in custom work, and quite a bit of weight. If you aren't wheeling hardcore, skip the sliders on concentrate on skid plates.

Check with the Power Wagon guys. A few of them have made custom sliders that are holding up well, shouldn't be too hard to copy over to a Ford.

Motobilt makes excellent armored diff covers, get those first. That and shocks, are the first two things every SD needs.

Last edited:

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
You most likely won't need anything more than the Raptor body mounted rocker protection. How hardcore are you getting....
Nothing hardcore - I viewed them more as insurance against a slide off of wet clay into a rock. Your points are well-taken...something beefy on the rockers may be the better option.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Nothing hardcore - I viewed them more as insurance against a slide off of wet clay into a rock. Your points are well-taken...something beefy on the rockers may be the better option.
For what it's worth, I put these on my F250 and like them. They give me all the clearance I need but still provide a step up into the cab for my wife.

Go Rhino DSS sliders

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

well... i drove a 2021 gladiator rubicon diesel yesterday... and well decided this morning to put my 2018 f250 crew diesel up for sale! i think I can tune and build the gladiator to be as powerful (power to weight ratio) as the f250 tuned... and 25 mpg is hard to look away from when my plans call for extended overland trips to no-where.

we are still building full size chassis under contract but I am anxious to explore a new direction personally.