britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I'm going to bounce to the Great White North to retrieve the maternal unit earlier than planned, but I'll be back by Aug 28th, ready to roll.

The Magruder is always an option, it will be heavily trafficked LDW. Elk City Wagon Rd is another option down this way, but I have a very flexible schedule and can travel north.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
We did the Lolo 2 years ago on Labor Day, it was a good time. Didn’t you say the wagon road was rough?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
We did the Lolo 2 years ago on Labor Day, it was a good time. Didn’t you say the wagon road was rough?
The wagon road proper isn't too bad, a few ruts and bars, but enough to keep it fun. The side trip road up to pilot knob gets narrow and rocky, nothing technical, but good lines help. I think I have dashcam vid of it still, and I'll look for the post I created last year.

The ECWR society has done a great job of signage for historical markers.

justjohnthomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orofino, Idaho
Member #

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/the-elk-city-wagon-road-and-pilot-knob-lookout-idaho.9115/

@justjohnthomas and Dru rode part of it earlier this summer, maybe he knows if there are any detours. I know they are logging a section by Newsome, but it's a weekday closure.
When we ran it “backwards” earlier this summer from Elk City to Clearwater (didnt run to Harpster the “start”) the only detour was the logging by Newsome during the week. We did not run Pilot Knob due to time. By Newsome they were clearing a lot of overhead branches that were still on the road but I’m sure they cleared those up with the wagon road days last month. Overall it’s a pleasant 53 mile drive. We have no plans set in stone for Labor day weekend ourselves, so I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

If the link doesn’t work just google nice driving guide with the historical markers.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm91_055711.pdf

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
You really don't see much starting at Wall Cr. (Harpster), it's heavily diverted from the historical path. An Archeologist friend surveyed the segment and filledme in but there's nothing you missed.

I'm thinking one forest road to Ohara is open again, that may have potential as a side trip. After running the WR, gas up again in EC and jump over to the Selway, check out the falls, then it's a nice drive up Hwy 12 home.