Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Here is a link to an equipment review we did for our roof tent.
Hopefully it will be useful to some of you when considering a new purchase.

Reactions: Tim

Woodman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rochester, Kent UK
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Day
Member #

Hi, that’s a very good review I do not have any experience with roof top tents and am wondering about using them in the uk. Do you think with the weather we get here they are a viable option as drying them between uses (unless you have a indoor space to put them up to dry) could cause damp and mould. It’s really the only thing that puts me off them. I camp all year round at least twice a month and know that drying my kit after every use takes valuable time and space in the house because it’s always cold wet and miserable outside. Keeping everything attached to the car would definitely keep the wife happy but is it an option?

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
To be fair we have not had issues getting ours dried out in the past and we don’t have a garage etc.
A bigger concern for roof tents in the U.K. and particularly Scotland where we are can be wind.
Pitch correctly facing into the wind you might have a noisy night but get it wrong and it can be a bouncy night.
What we do like about the roof tent in the U.K. is getting up off the damp cold floor and as with a roof tent anywhere with ours in particular we can pitch and be set up in less than 2 minutes and very slightly longer packing away.