En Route to Calgary, BC

• HTML tutorial

Ravean Aaron

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego
Member #

Alright guys, I decided to take my fiancé on a road trip for this winters trip. We are based out of San Diego and will be headed to Park City, Utah to catch some skiing before we head further north through Idaho and Wyoming to our destination of Banff National Park in Canada. Our plan is to make our way to Banff then head west to vancouver then back down the west coast to San Diego.

I don't have much of a route planned yet as far as trail driving and would love some input from anyone who may know of some great trails along our potential route. Keep in mind we will be making this journey in the beginning of January so there will be a decent amount of snow.

Reactions: dblack

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Well welcome to Canada. Assuming you get here that is. [emoji846]
Canadian tips:
1. A loonie is a $1 coin and a toonie is a $2 coin. Don’t ask why.
2. Calgary is in Alberta (AB). And colder than BC. It’s also flatter and browner.
3. Gas is expensive and measured in Litres. Distance is in kilometres. Nobody knows why that is either.
4. Skip park city and ski in Fernie, BC. If you’re going to go to Canada you might as well give us your hard earned dollars. [emoji846] or better yet hit Lake Louise and Sunshine just minutes from Banff.
5. From Salt Lake City I would hop west over to highway 93 and go north. Unless you want to make time. It’s pretty but slower than I-15.

You really have 2 choices. Speed through the prairies or go slow through the mountains.
6. A good compromise may be I-15 to great falls. At some point get west over to babb, mt and go north. You’re in the foothills then. From there get west to highway 22.
7. Take highway 40 through Peter lougheed park and kananaskis country. You’ll like kananaskis country.

From there into Banff. And when you head south from there take 93 to 95 to 93. After that make it up as you go.

Have fun!

Reactions: WestieTRD

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Oh right. I didn't say much about trails. Sorry. And I was just busting your giblets about the Calgary, BC thing. I know you meant Calgary then off to BC.

Crowsnest pass has a ton of good trail. You could follow the forestry trunk road (FTR) from Crowsnest pass to Highway 40 if you liked. Lots of good side trails there, but the FTR is gravel. Good solid maintained road even in the winter.

Canadian Joe

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

jhl-3.jpg jhl-31.jpg If you are going as far as Banff you really need to continue up the Icefields parkway ( 93) to Jasper . It is a very spectacular 180 mile stretch of highway that shouldn't be missed any time of year . I have taken weekend trips there it at least a dozen time and never been disappointed.
I find the Jasper Park mountains more rugged then the Banff Park.
Go prepared because the only gas or food between is at the junction of Highway 93 and 11
Enjoy your trip

WestieTRD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

6108 NW Snowlily Dr, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Blurton
Member #

Big second on skiing Fernie. I grew up in Sparwood just north and that's the secret mountain we don't want the world to find out about. If you sneak over to Missoula and hit HWY 93 thru Whitefish you won't be disappointed. The hot springs at Fairmont and Radium are fun. More skiing at Panorama. Hwy 93 into Banff is a good choice. Lots of two lane roads up there and the snow likes to blow sideways! Be safe!

Last edited:

Don Duquette

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stowe, VT, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Duquette
Member #

Big second on skiing Fernie. I grew up in Sparwood just north and that's the secret mountain we don't want the world to find out about. If you sneak over to Missoula and hit HWY 93 thru Whitefish you won't be disappointed. The hot springs at Fairmont and Radium are fun. More skiing at Panorama. Hwy 93 into Banff is a good choice. Lots of two lane roads up there and the snow likes to blow sideways! Be safe!
I am planning a trip to Fernie from VT in February.Whats the camping scene.I have a Alaskan TC on a 1ton