Electric Winch. Are they necessary for overlanding/touring?

• HTML tutorial

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Almost nothing takes 150 miles to go around.
Some 4x4 skills are need for overlading, but is not a must. People overland on motorbikes or just bikes.
So, as someone posted before, for Overlading the short answer is no, for more difficult 4x4 trails yes, you might need a winch.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Some 4x4 skills are need for overlading, but is not a must. People overland on motorbikes or just bikes.
So, as someone posted before, for Overlading the short answer is no, for more difficult 4x4 trails yes, you might need a winch.
Like a flooded creek or river in a valley? Or the mud bog that is left in the floods aftermath?

There are lots of obstacles you can't effectively navigate around. Having a winch dramatically reduces the quantity of those things.

Reactions: LostWoods

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Like a flooded creek or river in a valley? Or the mud bog that is left in the floods aftermath?

There are lots of obstacles you can't effectively navigate around. Having a winch dramatically reduces the quantity of those things.
A river crossing would come down to planning. If you know you need to cross a river than you probly already have a winch.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

How would you remove a downed tree in your path 40 miles down a trail or some other scenario where releasing tension to reset the farm jack isn't an option? To tap what most would consider 'overlanding' in the mainstream, do you consider the Expedition Overland crew overlanders or wheelers? I'd argue the season clearing wooded trails would not be possible without the help of a winch or going around.

Seeking the path less taken means you sometimes need to re-hash that path yourself. Going around is an option but so is flying and taking the interstate. If this site is so about seeking adventure, then I'd argue for a 4x4 out in the wild, a winch is an invaluable tool that allows you to see places nobody has seen in years.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I don't even know why we are arguing about it. Those of us with electric winches that get used know what's up.
Those who don't and are against them obviously don't.
We can argue or explain till we are blue in the face, you can post example pics and they still won't understand at least not until they actually need one.

Let's put it this way if I see you on the trail stuck in a muddy rut and you have a winch ill pull right up and be happy to be an anchor for you or ill winch you out from behind.
If you don't have a winch and all I see is a hi lift your not getting any help because your obviously so bad ass you don't need my help. I'll sit back and watch you struggle. Thats what up.

Reactions: LostWoods

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I don't even know why we are arguing about it. Those of us with electric winches that get used know what's up.
We can argue or explain till we are blue in the face, you can post example pics and they still won't understand at least not until they actually need one.

Let's put it this way if I see you on the trail stuck in a muddy rut and you have a winch ill pull right up and be happy to be an anchor for you or ill winch you out from behind.
If you don't have a winch and all I see is a hi lift your not getting any help because your obviously so bad ass you don't need my help. I'll sit back and watch you struggle. Thats what up.
I get what you're saying, but without knowing you any more than what I have read here, I don't believe that you would drive right on by. I think you would help, because that is the right thing to do.

I'm extending that confidence based on nothing more than what I've read here, and my withering faith in human nature.

I'd appreciate you confirming that my confidence in you is not misplaced.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I get what you're saying, but without knowing you any more than what I have read here, I don't believe that you would drive right on by. I think you would help, because that is the right thing to do.

I'm extending that confidence based on nothing more than what I've read here, and my withering faith in human nature.

I'd appreciate you confirming that my confidence in you is not misplaced.
Idk I guess it may depend on if you've got kids or something with you or elderly. I might pull you out if I have to come back through and you still haven't made it out with the hi lift and your crying or somethin, or if your blocking the trail.

I'm not a total asshole but if provoked i can be a huge one.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm not sure the second part is necessary but I think you're right... it's like a lot of things that you don't realize you need something until it's too late and you'll never convince someone they need it until they've found out the hard way.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm not sure the second part is necessary but I think you're right... it's like a lot of things that you don't realize you need something until it's too late and you'll never convince someone they need it until they've found out the hard way.
Well the 2nd part is how I feel. If someone is unprepared and don't know what they are doing thats not my fault nor problem. There are plenty if resources to figure it out.

If they don't have a winch and they are offroading they likely don't have a good enough tow point either so if I were to winch them I risk being held legaly/financially liable when the front of their suv or car gets ripped off or bent.
No good deed goes unpunished.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Idk I guess it may depend on if you've got kids or something with you or elderly. I might pull you out if I have to come back through and you still haven't made it out with the hi lift and your crying or somethin, or if your blocking the trail.

I'm not a total asshole but if provoked i can be a huge one.
I'm just going to say that some of the most meaningful things that have occurred in my life, have been due to a strangers benevolence.

"Do right, and fear no man". There are legitimately very few things that I "fear", but many things I am cautious of, chief among them is karma.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Well the 2nd part is how I feel. If someone is unprepared and don't know what they are doing thats not my fault nor problem. There are plenty if resources to figure it out.

If they don't have a winch and they are offroading they likely don't have a good enough tow point either so if I were to winch them I risk being held legaly/financially liable when the front of their suv or car gets ripped off or bent.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Big difference between basically giving someone the middle finger because you perceive them as cocky and not helping because you can't safely do so... I'm with you that if there's nowhere to hook, sorry and good luck, but I also agree with @bgenlvtex that doing right by people is generally the right thing to do.

Like I said earlier, a winch is often one of those things that people don't realize they need until they need it and maybe that situation I save someone from is the catalyst that pushes them to get what they didn't realize they needed.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm just going to say that some of the most meaningful things that have occurred in my life, have been due to a strangers benevolence.

"Do right, and fear no man". There are legitimately very few things that I "fear", but many things I am cautious of, chief among them is karma.
I don't have the same experiences with karma as you, never had any help with anything even though I've always been more than willing to help others. That changes this year I'm done being mr nice guy its too much work trying to please everyone.

I don't fear anything im just aware of the risks

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's really not much of a struggle. Swing the handle back and forth a few times. Set the holder. Move the foot. Repeat. And I'm out.

30 minutes tops. That's 16 times faster than removing my bumper and winch for service. Greasing the planetary, cleaning the solenoids and guts, and putting it all back together. Not to mention that I have to do it all 150miles from home at my works garage. So I can use the forklift.

I love the guys that get insist that nobodies overlanding, without a snorkel, winch, maxtrax, and RTT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Here is the one time I ever "needed" my winch, and it was definitely from a "hey skeeter, water this" moment. I was alone, but quite confident I could get myself out given I had the winch, traction boards, and a very complete winching setup for my hi-lift. Having the winch admittedly saved me about 10 minutes of hard labor over the hi-lift.

20180923_085135-800x600.jpg

Of course, that doesn't account for the 30 minutes I later spent at home spooling out and washing / respooling the winch line :P .

As far as fallen trees go, while I have used a winch on them before, I now prefer to simply use a kinetic strap to incrementally tug one end out of the way. Granted, this was in Florida--if I was facing 12"-diameter fallen trees every 1/4 mile in the PNW, I might value the tool more for that purpose.