Electric Winch. Are they necessary for overlanding/touring?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I'm using a hilift jack as a winch. A winch is only overlanding bling to me. I'd have to service it, twice as often as I use it. (salt belt)

Truckclaws help as well.
Hmm - the only times I've had to winch someone out of trouble I've had to pull them at least 10m (and once about 30m). I'd hate to have to do that with a High Lift jack...

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If people would use their winch when they are supposed to there wouldn't so many rigs broken on the trail. I see alot of people with a winch do every thing they can to not use it, if your climbing a steep hill and your tires start hopping stop trying to go full send thats how drivetrain parts get broken especially on ifs vehicles. If your stuck in deep mud again winch it or your gonna risk damaging something, stuck on some rocks? Well there are a few ways around that like stacking rocks under tires or maxtracks or whatever you might have on hand but if you have a winch use it you'll save time and frustration.

I've gotten where its a disappointment if I don't have to use the winch at least once per trail ride, I feel like the 4x4 experience isn't complete without it.

Along with looking at it as insurance it should also be seen as just another part of your 4x4. The part that picks up the slack when the other parts aren't up to the job

If there is no front locker available for your vehicle a winch will get you there without.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If people would use their winch when they are supposed to there wouldn't so many rigs broken on the trail. I see alot of people with a winch do every thing they can to not use it, if your climbing a steep hill and your tires start hopping stop trying to go full send thats how drivetrain parts get broken especially on ifs vehicles. If your stuck in deep mud again winch it or your gonna risk damaging something, stuck on some rocks? Well there are a few ways around that like stacking rocks under tires or maxtracks or whatever you might have on hand but if you have a winch use it you'll save time and frustration.

I've gotten where its a disappointment if I don't have to use the winch at least once per trail ride, I feel like the 4x4 experience isn't complete without it.

Along with looking at it as insurance it should also be seen as just another part of your 4x4. The part that picks up the slack when the other parts aren't up to the job

If there is no front locker available for your vehicle a winch will get you there without.
To say nothing of trail erosion.

Peopleaact llike it is some kind of failure to pull rope. That's what it is there for.

Hooning, wheel hopping, spinning and slinging. "Leave no trace" remember? I've seen people on this very site obsessing on how to shower without contaminating the environment.

Getting stuck as shit and then going full send to get out instead of just casually pulling a line likely without ever spinning a tire seems entirely contradictory to "leave no trace"

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I been lucky, in last 9 years I have used my winch 6-7 times, always on someone else.
I do consider it as an insurance piece and tool on my truck and I don’t like going places without it.
Right now I am without it on the truck, but plan to have a new bumper and it mounted before my big trips.

Reactions: Ubiety

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have a winch on one vehicle but my Compass only carries my Hi-lift. as much as I would love to put a winch on it there are very few options for it. I may build something in the future, but until then it gets the Hi-Lift.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Over decades of off-road activities, I have literally never been stuck without first thinking somehing like "hold my beer." In other words, don't conflate "4wheelin'" with "overlanding." The former may certainly justify it, while the latter may not warrant the extra $1500 and 200lb.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Over decades of off-road activities, I have literally never been stuck without first thinking somehing like "hold my beer." In other words, don't conflate "4wheelin'" with "overlanding." The former may certainly justify it, while the latter may not warrant the extra $1500 and 200lb.
Sometimes 4wheelin and overlandibg are one in the same. I agree the times I have been stuck and needed my winch were more caused by a lapse in judgment than anything else, but as some others have said the make a great tool for clearing trails ahead that have downfall. And if your traveling on snowy back roads sometimes that ditch creepa up on ya and you need to get out on your own. A winch comes in handy.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dont get confused overlanding was born from offroading. Before this fad took hold we would be out on the trail and it gets late and we'd say oh I don't feel like driving 2 hrs home after wheeling so let's camp. To me thats still what it is.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The base capability of the vehicle will also drive the likelihood of a more complicated recovery.

Lots of smallervvehicles are more capable than people believe, but vehicles with greater offroad capability are going to be farther off of the pavement and farther from help in the event they do get stuck.

The lowest common denominator is always the driver, but the mechanical ability to reach farther brings with it the ability to get hung up in a circumstance requiring more effort to extract.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
There's always weird situations. Sometimes a Powerwagon isn't as capable as a Subaru.

It would suck to do a long pull with a Highlift, but it's doable. Easy, but time consuming. An un-serviced winch with a locked up planetary, or roasted relays ain't going to do too well either.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I have a winch bumper and 12k pound winch on my XJ. The main reason I have one is I'm almost always by myself. The other reason is my rig is on 31" tires and 2" of lift. The rigs with the 35"+ tires dig deep ruts. That makes some areas rather tricky to get through. So far it hasn't been needed but one of these days I'm going to slip and fall in the ruts.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

There's always weird situations. Sometimes a Powerwagon isn't as capable as a Subaru.

It would suck to do a long pull with a Highlift, but it's doable. Easy, but time consuming. An un-serviced winch with a locked up planetary, or roasted relays ain't going to do too well either.
Claiming fear of mechanical failure or required maintenance on a winch as a valid reason not to own a winch, which is mounted on something that requires routine maintenance to be reliable is disingenuous at best. Mechanical items require some minimum level of maintenance.

I've got 100' of rope and 100' extension and have used every usable bit of it. You'd die of exposure before you got that done with a high lift.

I can open a soup can with a rat tail file, but why would I, when can openers have been readily available and very reliable for a century.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Going full send is fun when the rig goes on a trailer afterwards and is not expected to get you several hundred miles home. A winch, as has been mentioned, allows you to throw in the towel and is a get out of jail free card in many cases.

To me a winch is the most effective 80 lbs on your truck for self-recovery and an essential tool if you travel alone anywhere you have an anchor to winch off. We do mostly travel alone so I avoid risk as much as I can... without a doubt, a winch will be my next major purchase now that I have a bumper to anchor it to.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

And just to add, this thread shows why I hate how inclusive "overlanding" has become in context of the term. When you include a Honda CR-V in the same context as a Jeep, you're going to have a large divide between people who cruise bumpy fire roads and think 4wd is a luxury and people who have very banged up steel plate covering the underside of their vehicles. If it's all "overlanding" then questions like this cannot be answered universally and inevitably devolve into arguments based on each individual's perception of the term.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
And just to add, this thread shows why I hate how inclusive "overlanding" has become in context of the term. When you include a Honda CR-V in the same context as a Jeep, you're going to have a large divide between people who cruise bumpy fire roads and think 4wd is a luxury and people who have very banged up steel plate covering the underside of their vehicles. If it's all "overlanding" then questions like this cannot be answered universally and inevitably devolve into arguments based on each individual's perception of the term.
I guess that's why we have the Core Principles.

Inclusion is great, diversity is great, and I think we can all learn from each other, no matter how different our travel styles are. I value insights from those with the banged up steel plates, as well as those who travel in RVs which would be entirely unsuitable for the trips we make. Everyone's perspective is worthwhile.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I guess that's why we have the Core Principles.

Inclusion is great, diversity is great, and I think we can all learn from each other, no matter how different our travel styles are. I value insights from those with the banged up steel plates, as well as those who travel in RVs which would be entirely unsuitable for the trips we make. Everyone's perspective is worthwhile.
I have nothing against inclusion and helping others, I have problems with the need to label everything the same to feel inclusive.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Lol I have both. A Jeep compass trailhawk for longer travels with minimal offroad or light trails ( and I beat on my vehicles like they owe me money) and a TJ unlimited on 37s, outboarded shocks, heaver axles, custom link suspension.... Each serve their purpose. It's hard to fit a car seat in the TJ ... The harness bar and roll cage get in the way, but the compass I can take it easy for a weekend with the family. I agree there is a large decide when it comes to vehicles but it is what it is. Theres a large gap when talking pure trail rigs too if you are a full size guy or a jeep guy or a rock bouncer. Everyone has a slightly different view on the world.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

LOL, "hate" is such a strong word.

I don't hate the inclusivity , but people are tribal and have a tendency to look for others like themselves. When not found, they attempt to make converts and IRL ultimately take prisoners. I do get tired of the second and third stages of that, if other people on the board are acutely aware that you are a staunch supporter of any one particular piece of equipment, you are probably "too staunch".

Different people, different vehicles, different circumstances participating in a fluid and undefined hobby.