Electric blankets for cold weather camping

• HTML tutorial

Do electric blankets make sense for cold weather camping?

• Total voters

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Works fine for me plugged into my 240Wh Jackery that I paid $180 for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What is that converted to in amp hours? Lithium ion is definitely the wave of the future, when my 75ah AGM house battery ever wears out I’ll make the switch to lithium and get the proper under the hood charger for it.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
What is that converted to in amp hours? Lithium ion is definitely the wave of the future, when my 75ah AGM house battery ever wears out I’ll make the switch to lithium and get the proper under the hood charger for it.
It would depend on the voltage. For 12 volts, it would be 20 amp hours (240 / 12).

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

newhaircut

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Kentucky
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Smith
For cold weather camping, I added a fairly thick emergency blanket on top of my RTT mattress, and under a wool blanket. I was surprised how much difference that made. This works just the same if your sleeping on the ground or in a teardrop (or anywhere, I guess), it just reflects your body heat back up. You could drape another over your sleeping bag too. Also consider layering, a toboggan, a decent quality sleeping bag rated for your comfort level and the environment, wool socks, and those hot hands packs like others said - all this goes a long way.

None of this involves gas or electricity and is generally budget friendly. I camped with my young kids (3, 5, 6) in mid-20s in our RTT with the above setup and I couldn’t believe how well they slept. Trial and error, figure out what works for you. I’m just not a fan of the potential fire hazard of electric blankets in camp, or in the house. Hope any of this helps!

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

For cold weather camping, I added a fairly thick emergency blanket on top of my RTT mattress, and under a wool blanket. I was surprised how much difference that made. This works just the same if your sleeping on the ground or in a teardrop (or anywhere, I guess), it just reflects your body heat back up. You could drape another over your sleeping bag too. Also consider layering, a toboggan, a decent quality sleeping bag rated for your comfort level and the environment, wool socks, and those hot hands packs like others said - all this goes a long way.

None of this involves gas or electricity and is generally budget friendly. I camped with my young kids (3, 5, 6) in mid-20s in our RTT with the above setup and I couldn’t believe how well they slept. Trial and error, figure out what works for you. I’m just not a fan of the potential fire hazard of electric blankets in camp, or in the house. Hope any of this helps!
I agree. Although I bought a 12v blanket for my last overland trip. It works very well, but I don't let it plugged all night, for the same reason that you said (fire risk). At the end of the day, for me, the 12v Blanket is unnecessary.

Reactions: newhaircut