Enthusiast III

Whatcom County, Washington, United States
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Slavens
Member #

Hey everyone,

I've done a few build but this is my first build thread so bare with me here[emoji1] .

We picked up a very used 1990 Suburban 4x4 that was already lifted on 37s and we quickly found out how fragile and worn this ride was.

First thing we did was a tune up and fixed all the leaks on the engine and believe me there was plenty. Second thing was source out a 14 bolt rear end and an 8 lug conversion for the 44 up front. Went with 4:56 gears and a Detroit locker in the rear. Upgraded the drive shafts with new J.E Reel shafts front and rear. Custom painted methods on 37" KM2 giving it at least one shiny part to look at when parked !! Had custom sliders made with quick disconnect steps so we can still get in and out when tackling the mean streets of Orange County..lol. Went with more custom parts including a dual swing out rear tire carrier and front bumper to house lights, recovery points and a winch. Up top had a custom rack made with spots on all 4 corners along with a little more light and plenty of room for gear and later add an RTT. Inside I went with a CB and a PCI in Hope's of never being to far out range incase of emergencies ( we wheel as a family and have 3 kids ). Just wanted that piece of mind. We also chose to go with a very large Dometic fridge freezer combo in the rear along with a charging station, power inverter and on board air. The awning came today so I look forward to some serious shade when needed.

Since we do like to use it on jeep trails and light crawling we upgraded all the leads with stronger Atlas leafs then what I got it with and went with new and larger bushings. Also to help on the tight trails went with hydrolic steering.

I look forward to updating this thread as it continues to grow and getting out on the trails with you guys!

IMG_20190511_223319_809.jpegIMG_20190516_063425_896.jpeg

t_real

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia
First Name
T
Last Name
M
A boxy burb like this was my dream build for the longest time! I went another way since I prefer daily driver/overland combos, and the mpg on these made my wallet cry a little bit...but seeing yours is making me want to commit to the idea all over again lol. Great looking rig, can't wait to see what else you do to it!

The.Rocklander.Project

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Whatcom County, Washington, United States
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Slavens
Member #

A boxy burb like this was my dream build for the longest time! I went another way since I prefer daily driver/overland combos, and the mpg on these made my wallet cry a little bit...but seeing yours is making me want to commit to the idea all over again lol. Great looking rig, can't wait to see what else you do to it!
Thank you! Getting all new carpet next week then hopefully up the 395 at the end of June.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Any info on the rack, that is perfect for my 90 Suburban.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thanks, I love the rack, but think a custom rack is out of my budget. If I can go that route, I will see if I can have one made locally to save shipping costs. However, I may borrow a lot of the concept of yours.