El Cheapo Jeep WJ Build-ish.

• HTML tutorial

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Did you switch shocks? I'm only asking because some people stick with 3" with new springs and shocks and say the ride goes downhill. But if you really like the ride that's good to know. My research lead me to conclude I would need a 4" lift to run a 32 (255/75-17 off a JK) but maybe I don't need to.
I'm not planning on super technical stuff. I live hours from any serious ORV and it's a serious road trip to go to aomething like the Rockies. So, I'm starting to lean towards your way of thinking.
Thanks for the advice! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I personally haven't switched the shocks. Now, I really can't say they weren't switched when the lift was installed, but they don't look factory. Sway Bar ends are, though. Just rotated down. My front bumper is already trimmed, so that may be what's giving me extra clearance. What 4wd system do you have?

Reactions: maxfederle89

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

I felt similarly when I was in the market for something to occupy the grille space. I ended up getting a light bar for cheap at Autozone (I think it's a 24 inch?). Puts out a good amount of light and fits just right for the grille area.DSCN0573.JPG

I may go a little bit larger in the future, but for what I do (and how much it really gets used) it does awesome!

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Update! I decided to trust the Jeep enough to take it on a 340 mile round trip ride as a shakedown. I drove it from Bowling Green to about 50 miles East of Cincinnati. Averaged about 18 mpg, and found some loose ends that annoy me, IE the exhaust bouncing off the cross member. Ran smooth, drove straight and did everything I asked of it. Next up, time to put it in the dirt. Here's a pic of it at the house up North.
IMG_7189.JPG

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I personally haven't switched the shocks. Now, I really can't say they weren't switched when the lift was installed, but they don't look factory. Sway Bar ends are, though. Just rotated down. My front bumper is already trimmed, so that may be what's giving me extra clearance. What 4wd system do you have?
I have the Quadra Tec II system in mine. I think it'll be OK.

Sorry I forget to check replies in Tapatalk. I was notified my lift just got delivered today. I went with an Iron Rock Offroad 3" lift and I ordered a new set of spring isolators from Rock Auto. I figured if I was taking it apart they should get replaced as well.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I felt similarly when I was in the market for something to occupy the grille space. I ended up getting a light bar for cheap at Autozone (I think it's a 24 inch?). Puts out a good amount of light and fits just right for the grille area.View attachment 32767

I may go a little bit larger in the future, but for what I do (and how much it really gets used) it does awesome!
I'd have to agree. Go on Amazon or even Ebay and take your pick from the 20 some inch light bars. They seem like good quality for the money. It will be the route I will eventually take.

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Those light pods worked better than I thought they would. I think I have $20 or less in them, a few more bucks with the amber covers. This morning was foggy as could be, but those did the trick. I guess I'll keep them.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Build is coming along nicely man.
Thank you very much! I'm super budget conscious, since the lady's MG is supposed to take priority. However, it's a couple of years away from what she wants. My paint guy is backed up for eons. The next major purchase will be the quarter panel armor, followed by the monstaliner. More immediately, I'm going to redo the headliner, since it sucks. I'm thinking of doing something funky, so any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

Saw this on a vw site and always thought it would be cool. Also nice grand and nice to see someone else from the area.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using OB Talk mobile app
Thank you! I really appreciate that. That headliner is cool! One of my sales guys has a friend who does shirt printing on the side, so we are seeing what we can do. May do all 44 Jeep Badge of Honor trail topo maps on it. I'm new to the area. Any decent wheeling spots nearby?

Vertigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY
Member #

I just moved back to the area from CA. Most of the spots here are so small a rzr barely fits. Ive read about two offroad parks in bowling green i wouldnt mind trying.

Are you using the Ram for off-road? Let's set something up for the next few weeks. My buddy has a Wrangler that's fairly well equipped that needs the tire shine muddied up some.

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

Yeah i am and ok i would be willing to do that i might be starting a new job so my schedule is subject to change but let me know what days work for you and we will go. I have a couple buddys who said they would be willing to take there razrs as well.