Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is the location I am planing.
44.545278 - 118.861722
Its in the NF so camping hopefully would not be a problem. Im going to stay away from the Bend area due to traffic and will go 80 to Winnemucca then up to John Day then into the forest.

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Man! Now I have to carry fuel?
Lots of good info and perspectives. Keep 'em coming.
The little I'm able to offer is the Ochoco Forest Service say they expect all roads in Ochoco to be opened and the only restriction are camp fires at this point. But they advised me to call back at least Wednesday before the day of the eclipse.
Roads are are open very true, but may get a little busy on their two lane roads. The big concern is Oregon is they are in their FIRE season and it is very dry over there. That is why no camp fires. A wild fire (field fire) during the eclipse week could be taxing on visitors and local resources.

Reactions: LostInSocal

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Roads are are open very true, but may get a little busy on their two lane roads. The big concern is Oregon is they are in their FIRE season and it is very dry over there. That is why no camp fires. A wild fire (field fire) during the eclipse week could be taxing on visitors and local resources.
With the numbers they're expecting to swarm OR, added they're all not going to be like-minded OB types, something could likely happen. A fire it not on our must-do list when camping (dispersed or otherwise). It helps not having to haul in or process wood anyway :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WTAGP

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I talked to a friend that works the Malheur NF and they will more than likely have a burn ban for the entire forest. The weather is supposed to be hot so I don't think this will mater much to folks.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Yeah. It's super dry out east of the range. A ban on fires makes sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

I'm heading up to Burns, Oregon area. There doesn't seem to be any closures or fires in that area right now. It's only 9 hours from Sacramento (where I live).
If anyone is interested in going I plan on leaving Saturday the 19th before noon so I can get there during the day and find a place to camp. There is lots of wilderness area. I'm willing to just hope for the best and camp along side the road if I have to.
Post here if you are interested and need to make any adjustments to the schedule, I am fairly flexible and can leave as early as Friday the 18th after about 6PM to Sunday the 20th early morning though I'd prefer to leave earlier.

I would be very willing to go to Bend if there is good wilderness area camping available and someone would be coming along. Always more fun in a group!

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Yeah, I can't remember ever having a mosquito problem East of the mountains. It's tinder dry most of the time out there.

Work is sending me on the road next Monday, so looks like my decision is made for me. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk