Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I'm thinking about driving up from SF to Bend to see the total eclipse on August 21. Is anyone else going up that way? Apparently Oregon is expecting so many visitors they've authorized deploying the national guard...

Since we are fine primitive camping I've been thinking about avoiding any prepared campsites and just trying to get out into some BLM or State land Northeast of Bend, in the path of the totality. Any one else looking at this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
I am but in a different state. This will definitely be an experience. From what I've read expect shortages on gas, food and toilets as most placed are expected to at least double their current population for the weekend. I contacted the state and free BLM maps and a free OHV map!

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Man that's a good point. I'll want to fill up the rotopax before I get there.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
You don't have to be right on the center line to see totality - from the Oregon map, it looks like as long as you're a bit north of Redmond (which is the next town above Bend), you'll see it. "The path of totality is a relatively thin ribbon, around 70 miles wide, that will cross the U.S. from West to East."
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

It looks like a large portion of the Ochoco National Forest will fall in the path, maybe I'll try to camp in the NW end of that.

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
I haven't looked at Oregon. I'll be driving out from TN to Wyoming for it and have mine mapped out. Tennessee has too much of a chance for rain. As long as your in the band you should be fine. Centerline will have a very slight duration like seconds. It's best to have a couple of spots east and west of where you want to be to account for weather. I'll link a ebook from amazon I got for $5 I think that has tons of info for the towns in the path of the eclipse.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Yeah. This is why I'm thinking Eastern Oregon rather than Portland or NorCal. Just too much risk of clouds near the ocean.

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Sounds good. I hope this will be as awesome as everyone says it is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

The family and I are planning a trip from Socal for the eclipse. So far the plan is to take the 395 and try to find camping within Ochoco National Forest. I was hoping some members at least had a thread going for information but they've been surprisingly scarce. Doesn't sound like you're expecting much trouble finding camp. And, hjason.hay makes a great point I hadn't considered either. We'll have to pack in plenty of water.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I'm kind of hoping to depend on the fact most folks will want camp sites with facilities, etc unless they are a hard core camper or overlander.

Lewthor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rowlett, TX
Member #

I'm going to be in Bend visiting my parents during this event. The state is expecting so many people and so much traffic from this that driving that day will likely be fruitless. I planned this trip many months ago and not based on the eclipse or I would have picked a different time. But, really it's going to last under 2 minutes. Is it worth all the trouble for such a short event? Remember, Oregon is one of those state where you don't get to pump your own gas. So I foresee lines at stations to be crazy!

shayn

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento
Member #

I'm driving up from Sacramento and also looking for a good place away from the crowds. I think the hardcore camping like you mentioned is the best bet. I still haven't figured out the details yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Eh, I know Bend pretty well and I wanted to get up there anyway. But I agree it may be the worst time to visit.

I may have the range to make it up to Redmond and back without ever filling up in OR :)

Reactions: WTAGP

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Reactions: Tahoe

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm in Vancouver Washington. I drive part time and deliver fuel. All drivers are asked to cancel their vacations and those that can drive on their days off are asked to do. There is concern that fuel shortage and run outs are going to strand vehicles in towns or out on the roadways. Our drivers are being offered an additional $10 a hour on their hourly pay then then overtime onto that to stay to drive a six day period during the eclipse. My advise is to fill up outside of the eclipse area and carry extra fuel, food, water, and be prepared for traffic congestion the worst in history that Oregon has seen. It takes about 1 hour to drive from Portland Oregon to Salem Oregon, and they expect it could be 3 to 6 hours one way on Monday. It is predicted thousands will be driving from Seattle Washington to Salem Oregon on Monday. Madras and Baker City are expecting ATM's to run out of money, and their gas station to run out of fuel. Hype or not? Who knows, just be ready and prepared. Fun, exciting, one life time event. :-)

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Man! Now I have to carry fuel?
Lots of good info and perspectives. Keep 'em coming.
The little I'm able to offer is the Ochoco Forest Service say they expect all roads in Ochoco to be opened and the only restriction are camp fires at this point. But they advised me to call back at least Wednesday before the day of the eclipse.

Reactions: WTAGP