Easy-setup tent and cot recommendations please?

• HTML tutorial

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Hi all,
Last year my wife and I bought a gorgeous REI Basecamp 6 tent. It's absolutely wonderful, however there are going to be times when I'm out by myself and that will just be too much tent, and far too difficult for these old, fat, and creaky bones to setup and tear down every day. I had been told the Gazelle T4 would be ideal, but since it seems to be made of pure unobtanium these days, I'm looking for a Plan B. It has to be something a person with some physical limitations can deploy and stow without assistance and will perform well in bad weather. It will be used in warm and cool seasons, but nothing at all between November and May. Winters, for me, are best spent in front of my wood stove at home :)

In the same vein I'm also looking for recommendations for a good cot or something that will keep me off the ground. I just can't get down and up off the ground easily any more, especially several times a night, if you catch my meaning. I'd rather buy quality once than cheap out and get junk that will break on me at the worst possible time.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Maybe one of the smaller Oztents, or their one-person stretcher tent with an integrated cot?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Byers Cots of Maine have a very easy to deploy cot. Don’t let the price fool you. We have a pair of these and after having gone through several others, these are keepers.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a Gazelle T4 tent, super easy to set up and take down. The only problem I have is fitting it in the Jeep. Looking back, I would have gotten the T3. It would fit perfectly insure front to back with the seat down.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I have a Grand Cherokee (WK2) so I don't think size would be a huge problem, but the issue for me is that the T4 is just not available. I would really love a rooftop tent, but that's not in the budget, and for the few times a year we'd use it, it wouldn't be a wise purchase IMHO. Plus getting in and out is non-trivial for a big ol' sunuvagun like me :).

TheWanderer

Rank II

Contributor III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Green
Member #

Sign up for email alerts or notifications from Gazelle and you'll get an email when they are in stock. You have to be quick though. I've seen them sell out in minutes quite a few times before I was quick enough to get mine. I was ready to give up trying to get a T4 but i'm glad I didn't. Very well made snd easy setup tent.
I'm still searching for a cot & mattress as well. Think i'll give the Easy Cot a try

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

As a fat old guy, I sold the RTT and bought an Oztent RV3. Easy set up once you get it worked out, fits my Coleman trailhead easy setup cot; Costco---https://www.costco.com/coleman-trailhead-easy-step-cot%2C-2-pack.product.100376055.html 6' and 300# capacity.
RV3 is walk in and stand up I'd say plenty of room for 2 cots

TheWanderer

Rank II

Contributor III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Green
Member #

I love popup tents. Was worried about the stability of them at first just because i always assumed easy meant not good. I was very wrong!
The T4 is really much more room than i need but i might decide to camp in one spot for more than a night so maybe the extra room will be useful one day

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Look at Eureka tents, I am a fan of the outfitter tents. I have used mine for over 60 nights per year for 8 years and going strong. I have the Timberline, I would go with the Assault now (the assault wasn't out then). I am not a fan of big heavy tents.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Well I finally found a Gazelle T4 and it's sitting in the box in my living room at the moment. Too late for this year (what can I say; I'm a wuss and don't like camping in the cold) but I plan to do a few solo trips next year.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Cabellos has a great option... nothing faster.

Cabela's Tent Cot.png

or

Last edited:

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I was just very surprised how big it is in the shipping box. Almost too big to fit into the Jeep (I haven't tried yet). No way I can fit it and all my other gear if I'm going with my wife, but solo it should be OK.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I was just very surprised how big it is in the shipping box. Almost too big to fit into the Jeep (I haven't tried yet). No way I can fit it and all my other gear if I'm going with my wife, but solo it should be OK.
It is a tight fit in the JKU with the rear seats folded down. I would typically slide the passenger seat forward. It fits at an angle well, but then other gear doesn’t fit well. I have also hung it from the roll bar.

Ideally, I wanted a roof rack for the Jeep but that never happened. I have a Bronco now (two weeks old) with a soft top, I’m looking to pack it out on December and see how it all fits.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hi all,
Last year my wife and I bought a gorgeous REI Basecamp 6 tent. It's absolutely wonderful, however there are going to be times when I'm out by myself and that will just be too much tent, and far too difficult for these old, fat, and creaky bones to setup and tear down every day. I had been told the Gazelle T4 would be ideal, but since it seems to be made of pure unobtanium these days, I'm looking for a Plan B. It has to be something a person with some physical limitations can deploy and stow without assistance and will perform well in bad weather. It will be used in warm and cool seasons, but nothing at all between November and May. Winters, for me, are best spent in front of my wood stove at home :)

In the same vein I'm also looking for recommendations for a good cot or something that will keep me off the ground. I just can't get down and up off the ground easily any more, especially several times a night, if you catch my meaning. I'd rather buy quality once than cheap out and get junk that will break on me at the worst possible time.
I really like this cot. I’ve been using it about a year and a half with no issues. It folds in half with the pad. https://www.coleman.com/camp-furniture/camping-cots/comfortsmart-camping-cot-with-sleeping-pad/SAP_2000034870.html

I have the Gazelle T4 and it’s great. Super easy setup and breakdown. Also consider a T3 if you’re not too tall or don’t mind hunching over a bit if you’re over 5’9”.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Byers Cots of Maine have a very easy to deploy cot. Don’t let the price fool you. We have a pair of these and after having gone through several others, these are keepers.
I'll second the Byers Cots of Maine, this is the same Cot I have for my T-3 and I'm a big guy,, 6'4" and about 240lbs at the moment.

The1Oregongirl

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grants Pass, OR
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Gay
Member #

The Easy cot doesn't store small like a tent, I don't have that kind of hauling space

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I actually bought the EastCot a few months ago but have been too busy with work to set it up, however I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of it. I'm a heavy guy and ground sleeping is definitely an issue!

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
We've been happy with our Camp Time Roll-A-Cots Roll-a-Cot ®

They are quick drying in case you need to transport them on the roof during a rain. They also provide lots of storage underneath. We use them in an e-z UP shelter with camping cube. It is a pretty comfortable set-up that feels more like a cottage than a tent, and we can pack it all in our CRV along with a fridge and a big battery as well as the rest of our camping stuff. It is a little on the heavy side, but works great for us. IMG_20220305_162723183_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220305_162713021_HDR.jpg