Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
It's all but gone from the Spokomtom area. We've got a bunch of rain this week with temps in the high 40s. Up high isn't gonna melt anytime soon though.

Reactions: timberwolf_120

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I hope the snow pack is gone by then, but I'm not gonna hold my breathe. I was thinking about heading up through metaline falls, check out Gardner caves, then going across to Curlew, then down to Republic.
I love the Metaline Falls area. I go up there several times a year for work. so many places to explore. I've never been able to make it to Gardner caves when they are open.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I love the Metaline Falls area. I go up there several times a year for work. so many places to explore. I've never been able to make it to Gardner caves when they are open.
I sure hope to make it there when they're open, it looks cool.

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello everyone. I'm from the VERY SE corner of Washington near Hells Canyon and the Blue Mountains. I live in the middle of nowhere but am about 45 minutes south of Clarkston. Hope to find other Overlanders near me. Thanks.

Justin

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Hello everyone. I'm from the VERY SE corner of Washington near Hells Canyon and the Blue Mountains. I live in the middle of nowhere but am about 45 minutes south of Clarkston. Hope to find other Overlanders near me. Thanks.

Justin
Man I love that area. My parents live a few hours from there in LaGande Oregon. I hoping to do a trip in the Blues this summer or early fall.

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Man I love that area. My parents live a few hours from there in LaGande Oregon. I hoping to do a trip in the Blues this summer or early fall.
The Elgin/LaGrande area has no shortage of roads to explore.

I started a 4 day loop around the Blues last fall with the kids but ended up being turned around by LOTS of rain and mud. I need to go back and redeem myself.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

The Elgin/LaGrande area has no shortage of roads to explore.

I started a 4 day loop around the Blues last fall with the kids but ended up being turned around by LOTS of rain and mud. I need to go back and redeem myself.

Justin

I have been looking at google maps for inspiration. At the very least the road they live on goes off into range land oblivion. Such beautiful part of the world.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I need to take a trip to the blues sometime. I will let you know when I can swing it.

OCTaconoob

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Any of you guys familiar with the area around Bonner's Ferry, ID? My wife and I will be passing through on our way to Canada in a few weeks and will be looking for a overnight camp spot. Any recommendations?

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Any of you guys familiar with the area around Bonner's Ferry, ID? My wife and I will be passing through on our way to Canada in a few weeks and will be looking for a overnight camp spot. Any recommendations?
@Sandpoint Steve he isn't to far away from Bonners Ferry. I haven't explored that area enough to make a suggestion, yet.

SlinginIron

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lewiston, Nez Perce County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Arty
Last Name
Harber
Member #

Justin
I'm in Dayton! I've really only done day trips into the blues since I've lived here, I'm tracking down some good maps right now that will include privately owned ground. If you guys do a trip let me know. I work in agriculture so I'm somewhat limited to summer and winter trips but, it really depends on the weather.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Hopefully he can chime in with a good/decent spot. If not, I'll just wing it and hope

When are you coming up here??? In Sandpoint I still have more than a foot of snow on the ground. I was up in Bonners on Tuesday and here's a crazy thought, there is more snow up there. I would think the mountain roads are still full.
When the snow is gone:
Roman Nose: N48.63493° W116.57129° Elevation 6000ft has a nice camping area
Cooks Lake: N48.69849° W116.58837° Elevation 5800ft has a great spot We did not drive the last 1/4 mile in the fall it's looks a bit technical and was snow covered.
Robinson lake: N48.969584 W116.218545 Elevation 2700ft doesn't open until May

Between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry These might be an option as they are more southern than Bonners and Lower in elevation. Might be worth acall to the ranger station to see if you can get in to them...

Brush Lake Campground: N 48.887184° W116.329718° elevation 3000ft Unknown??
Meadow Creek Campground: N 48.819528° W116.147406° Elevation 2400ft Unknown??
Smith Lake Campground: N48.77688° W116.26381° Elevation 3030ft unknown??

Here is a KML file with these camps in it...

Attachments

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
My friend in Colville got the itch to get out today and buried his truck today. Hopefully he gets out before the rain starts tomorrow.

OCTaconoob

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
@Sandpoint Steve
We'll be coming through on April 3rd. So I suppose we should plan for snow then! Haha I appreciate all the spots, we may stay farther south and try that area out. Bonners Ferry was just a general area I had mapped out, not necessarily a hard and fast waypoint.

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm in Dayton! I've really only done day trips into the blues since I've lived here, I'm tracking down some good maps right now that will include privately owned ground. If you guys do a trip let me know. I work in agriculture so I'm somewhat limited to summer and winter trips but, it really depends on the weather.
Hopefully i'll have another trip that direction this summer. I enjoy giving my wife a weekend alone every now and then and I take my 3 kids for trips camping so it can get kind of loud from time to time. :)

Reactions: Captain Chaos

CO_Justin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Olivehurst, CA
Member #

Anyone around this weekend to do some easy trails or know of anywhere that's easy for a day trip? I have a stock 17' TRD OR. I'm at Fairchild for a bit and have nothing to do lol

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app