Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just a bump, hope to see all of you tomorrow, I had one of my “bad” days today and I hope tomorrow is better (usually is) so I can make my own meeting

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Just a bump, hope to see all of you tomorrow, I had one of my “bad” days today and I hope tomorrow is better (usually is) so I can make my own meeting
Feel better my friend, see you tomorrow.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I had marked I was attending but life has gotten in the way. My apologies but I won’t be able to come over. Have fun and eat some bbq for us. Later

Reactions: M Rose

OverRAM3500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ephrata Avenue Northwest, Soap Lake, Washington 98851, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gehlen
Member #

Feel better my friend, see you tomorrow.
Great to meet you guys. Before I forget I wanted to share a link to those springs I was talking about. I used these on my last truck. Good luck.https://www.truckspring.com/suspension-parts/coil-springs.aspx?make=Ram&year=2015&model=2500

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Great to meet you guys. Before I forget I wanted to share a link to those springs I was talking about. I used these on my last truck. Good luck.https://www.truckspring.com/suspension-parts/coil-springs.aspx?make=Ram&year=2015&model=2500
Hey thanks for the link. Was great meeting you.

Reactions: OverRAM3500

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
It was really great meeting all of you that were able to make it out today.

For those that were unable to attend, Porters did not disappoint.

We had a good time walking around each other’s rigs and admiring the various mods and gear. We exchanged stories of some of the trips and trails that we like.

Over a platter of good ol' Porters BBQ we discussed what the future of our region would look like. The following are the take always from that discussion. If I have missed anything, please chime in....

- More events,
> This would include everything from trips, long and short,
> simple meetups like bbq's.
> Trail and camp cleanup.

- Knowledge Exchange,
>We discovered that within the small group that attended, there are some individuals that have various skills that would be useful for all. We have a medic. This is a great resource. We discussed putting together a learning day where we all could learn some first aid practices that would be useful in an overlanding atmosphere.
>We have guys with mechanical skills as well as welding. We talked about putting on a workshop, where we could tackle a project on a rig. Maybe teach those interested, how to do some basic welding.
> We also humbly talked about some skills that we don’t have much experience with. Some examples would be safely using recovery gear, and becoming more proficient with the numerous navigation apps that are available.

And finally,we talked about the Rally Point feature on the OB site. Anybody can create an event. If you have a plan to head out on a new trail this weekend and don’t want to run it alone, Create an event. Maybe there another member that was wanting to explore but didnt know where to go.....Next thing you know, you guys are a team, forging uncharted territory.

Once again, tonight was a great example of what this community is. A group of different people with at least one common interest.

Now, we need to get the next one planned................

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I'll be there. The weather looks great so I'm going to head down in the morning for some agate hunting and then ill meet up with y'all.
I was bummed that I forgot my one prized rock at home, so here is a picture,

0104201825_HDR.jpg
0104201824_HDR.jpg
0104201826~2.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I felt today was a success, I wish I would have had more time spending with all of you. Thanks @PNW EXPLR for stepping up since I wasn’t able to stay as long as I would have liked. It looked like you guys got everything covered that some have shown concerns for.

I have a few thoughts to interject here.

- I have a wealth of recovery expirience. I was H8 sertified while in the army; which pretty much means I was in charge of vehicle recovery operations.

-Ham -I am in the works of setting something up within the Grand Ronde Amateurs, my local HAM club. Let us get a count because they are willing to host a special test date. We just need to know how many members, and what tests they want to take.

Navigation- is there any intrest in compas and map navigation classes and/or GPS integration. I personally am very good with map reading and compass operations, Im not very good with using my tablet to its fullest potential. On a similar thought, how about within a Nav course we could talk about other uses for our tech gear.

It was a great time meeting all of you, and I am very excited to see where this enthusiasm takes us in the future.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey guys,
I have been doing some behind the scenes stuff since the get together on Saturday. Great time by the way. After the interest in Ham, I have been digging into this some. Kent R sent me some information on an online ham cram.
before I Point you guys in that direction, I need to know if you guys want to test here in la grande, or do we need to find a place in Tri-Cities to take the proctored tests. Along with this. What level of tests do you want to take. One last point/question to open up for discussion, how soon do you guys want to take the exams?
I am going to sit in on my local ham club meeting ,on January 11, 2020 at 9:00 am location Denny’s in La Grande Oregon, where I will bring up any questions and/or concerns regarding getting our HAM licenses. For those of you that are able to attend the breakfast I highly encourage you to come help me support the OB Community.
I will post a fallow up to the fore mentioned meeting no later than Sunday January 12 by noon, to inform you guys on what took place at the meeting.

I have already sent an email to the President, Tyson Brooks, of Grand Ronde Radio Amateurs letting him know that I would be attending and might have others with me.
More information about Grande Ronde Radio Amateurs can be found here

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am excited to announce that I just got off the phone with Tyson Brooks (see above post) and learned a great deal in a very short amount of time.
Topics Covered:
  • Entry to Ham Radio
  • The different levels of exams
  • The exam process
  • Studying for the exam
  • What GRRA is all about
  • Becoming a member of a ham club (the why and why nots)
  • How to set up a test date
Entry to Ham Radio is pretty self explanatory for our overall goal in getting our licenses. Tyson strongly suggests since we will primarily be in the back country to get our “General” Licenses as with general we are opened up to higher power and more frequencies, along with frequencies our semi local first responders will be monitoring. There are a few repeaters in the area, but not a whole lot and some times coms can be hit and miss out in the wilderness.

Different levels of exams.
Again we all pretty much know that the lowest level and easiest license to get is the Technical. This level gets us on the air, but with limited frequencies and low power usage... not much better than CB.
General license opens us up to the 2m band and allows for up to 50amp of power. For is that means we can hit a repeater in the back country fairly easily. Although we still might have a few blackout spots.
Expert. Primary used for global coms, opens us up to a whole new level of communication and allows to fine tune in other nets.

The exam process is pretty strait forward. Mr Brooks was xpressed that all the tests can be found online. And nothing is hidden from us. Testing can be done in his home with less than 4 guys, or for 5 or more can be conducted elsewhere.

Studying for the exam
Sign up NOW for the online study course. Get the ham operator manual. Study the online practice exams until you can get 90% accuracy consistently.

Setting a test date
Tyson is very flexible on setting up tests, he said doing one on one, or a whole group doesn’t matter to him. We just need to find what works best for us.

GRRA and ham clubs
This part is mostly a personal preference for each of you. Those in Washington, there is a floater club between Kennewick and Walla Walla. The club tests one month in one town and the next month in the other town. Or you guys are more than welcome to come down here to take your exams. The Exams taken here in La Grande give you one year free membership to GRRA. I highly recommend joining a local ham club for the first year to help get familiar with the equipment.

I also expressed interest again for attending this month’s nearing on Saturday January 11th 9 am pst at Denny’s Conference room La grande Oregon. He offered any of you that want to come are more than welcome. If I have more than 5 I need to let him know by Friday Evening so he can make accommodations for us.

In conclusion I have been very busy today, researching and making contacts for you guys and I am very excited to be helping set this stuff up for you guys.

I will open a new RP for the Ham class and post the link both here and in the email discussion.